FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » What should I know before I upgrade?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159686] Tue, 16 June 2009 19:53 Go to next message
thebugnut is currently offline  thebugnut   
I am currently using FUD 2.6.15 and want to get up to date. Do I need to update my database sequentially with ever release? or can I I just from 2.6 to 2.7 and finally 2.8.1

I would like to avoid spending unnecessary time doing update after update but at the same time I don't want to kill the forum.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159687 is a reply to message #159686] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
You should be able to jump from 2.6.15 straight to 2.8.1 by running the latest upgrade script. No manual DB changes are required, the script will take care of them.

That said, you are running a very old release. So, be careful - take proper backups before you start and test the upgrade on a test system (if you can).

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159690 is a reply to message #159687] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already have a backup and installed a fresh test database with a restore from today. So if it goes bad it doesn't matter. Once I solve any issues with the test forum and database i will upgrade my main forum.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159692 is a reply to message #159690] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran the upgrade and the forum still works but I lost all my designs and formatting for the forum. How do I avoid this from happening?

I have a lot of work invested in my templates and I don't want to try and re-make them. help please.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159693 is a reply to message #159692] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All changed files are backed-up to the forum's errors/.backup/ directory.

Quote:
How do I avoid this from happening?

If you want to change your theme, you should preferably create a separate template set to prevent subsequent upgrades (which may contain changes to the default theme) from overwriting your changes. If you don't plan to make any drastic theme changes, it's perfectly OK to use the default theme.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159694 is a reply to message #159693] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That doesn't mean anything to me.

Need more "idiot proof" instructions please. Confused
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159695 is a reply to message #159694] Tue, 16 June 2009 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It means you need to manually re-apply your theme changes. This time, create your own to prevent this from happening again. Instructions are available on the wiki.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159697 is a reply to message #159695] Wed, 17 June 2009 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so I should re-do my test then.

I will make a new forum from the 2.6.15 install. import my data dump. Duplicate my custom default theme and rename it. Then to the 2.8.1 upgrade and the re-select the custom theme as the default theme for my forum correct?

Then if it all goes well I will do the same theme change and upgrade to my live forum.
icon6.gif  Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159698 is a reply to message #159697] Wed, 17 June 2009 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Nope I don't think that will do what you want/ need!

Be patient young Jedi I am writing your idiot proof instructions, in the meantime read the wiki and do a search on "the templating system explained" It sounds like your forum is still ok, and it's not urgent.

And I think you will be satisfied, when we are done.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
icon6.gif  Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159699 is a reply to message #159694] Wed, 17 June 2009 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thebugnut wrote on Tue, 16 June 2009 15:37
Need more "idiot proof" instructions please. Confused

There is No such thing! They just keep creating better idiots, all we can do is try and educate those that can and will learn, but I will try, if you will.

naudefj will correct me on this if I am wrong so don't take my word as gospel, I am no expert.

It's long so click the spoiler. (Don't blame me you asked for idiot proof).

Toggle Spoiler

I should have your how-to done tonight or tomorrow at the latest!

Hope this helps, young jedi

[Updated on: Wed, 17 June 2009 01:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159704 is a reply to message #159699] Wed, 17 June 2009 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thebugnut is currently offline  thebugnut   Canada
Thanks for all the info.

I re-installed 2.6.15

Imported my Datadump. (Everything is Good)

Went to my Theme Manager and and created a new template set based on the "Default"

Then created a new Theme called "hotrod" using my new "hotrod" template

I enabled the theme and everything was good.

Download and ran the 2.8.1 upgrade.

Theme is now all the default for 2.8.1 (All blue and stuff)

Went to admin, Enabled the "hotrod" theme. Everything is also Blue like the default. So even tho I pulled out the tab on my video tape it looks like someone put a piece of tape over the hole and recorded over my video.

Any other ideas?

I thought someone told me I have to do the updates all in order. But I can't find the replay to any of my posts on this issue in the past. This issue it the main reason I have avoided upgrading.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 June 2009 14:55]

icon6.gif  Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159707 is a reply to message #159704] Wed, 17 June 2009 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you upload this template set what path are you using?

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159708 is a reply to message #159707] Wed, 17 June 2009 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not uploading any template. Is the template not stored in my forum? It shows up in my Theme list.

Confused Confused
icon6.gif  Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159713 is a reply to message #159707] Wed, 17 June 2009 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am having computer issues myself right now so This is awkward at best, since I am trying to do this on my laptop while working on fixing my desktop (I don't think that was what they meant by multitasking).

So ok, I am going to make a theme for a forum that does not have one, and install it step by step. That way Frank can take a look see and check if I have done anything wrong.

You follow right along. With me and we will kill this varmint together. You can just watch or do it yourself.

1. I will create a work directory on my computer called "my themes" Just so I have a place to save files to so they don't get mixed up with others.
2. I will download the experimental theme Forestgreen from http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=118508&start=0& (forest green is a new theme template set, and is incomplete in my opinion.) Then I will unzip that file and move the zip file to an archive for storage and later use. If you look at forest green you will see that it has 3 sub folders in it "forest green" which contains 2= subfolders, "tmpl" which contains a single file "forum.css.tmpl" and "images which contains 2 files "tableHeaderbg2" and "tableHeaderbg"

This will be the base template set we will use.

Don't worry that this is not the name you want it is just the one I am using.

I will be right back, it looks like my browser crashed, and i will need to reinstall it..... multitasking sucks!

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159714 is a reply to message #159708] Wed, 17 June 2009 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unfortunately you will have to byte the bullet and retrofit you theme to 2.8.1. Your installation is too old to try and figure out where compatibility was broken. If you were on a recent release with a non-default theme, you would have a valid support case.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159716 is a reply to message #159714] Wed, 17 June 2009 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should I be able to upgrade to 2.7.X without killing my themes?

Maybe I will just upgrade 1 version at a time to get as close to being up-to-date as I can on my life forum. I will then setup a new 2.8.1 forum and create a new theme from scratch. This would go along with any other site changes I have planned and launch the new version of the site down the road.

What does everyone think?

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159717 is a reply to message #159714] Wed, 17 June 2009 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 17 June 2009 15:38
Unfortunately you will have to byte the bullet and retrofit you theme to 2.8.1. Your installation is too old to try and figure out where compatibility was broken. If you were on a recent release with a non-default theme, you would have a valid support case.

How to create a theme on his current version would be the same would it not?

Or is there some issue I am not comprehending, it sounds to me like he is just trying to create a template set, and a new theme in one felt swoop, rather than one step at a time or am I mis understanding.

Either way, I am going to do a step by step as I make and install one, if for no other reason than I need to clarify this for myself.

This will be where I put your needful things (FUD on a thumb), which I need to do before the domain it is on expires.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159718 is a reply to message #159716] Wed, 17 June 2009 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thebugnut wrote on Wed, 17 June 2009 16:23
Should I be able to upgrade to 2.7.X without killing my themes?

Maybe I will just upgrade 1 version at a time to get as close to being up-to-date as I can on my life forum. I will then setup a new 2.8.1 forum and create a new theme from scratch. This would go along with any other site changes I have planned and launch the new version of the site down the road.

What does everyone think?

As long as you have good backups, the original installation files, and all the proper information to go back if you need to.

If the situation were reversed, I would continue as long as someone was trying to help until I was sure what the outcome is.

You already have a test installation, to practice on, and like i said I am going forward working on the "idiot proof instructions" either way.

I am just doing it on a new installation rather than an old.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159725 is a reply to message #159718] Thu, 18 June 2009 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Retrofitting you theme should be quick and easy. Most sites only modify header.tmpl, footer.tmpl and forum.css.tmpl. What files have you modified? Can you post your forum's URL?
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159744 is a reply to message #159725] Fri, 19 June 2009 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am trying to go from 2.6.15 to 2.7 but when I try to upgrade I get the following error.

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /Library/WebServer/Documents/hotrodding/fudforum2/upgrade.php on line 962
Failed to parse GLOBALS.php at "" correctly

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2009 13:59]

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159745 is a reply to message #159744] Fri, 19 June 2009 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fixed my problem by upgrading to 2.7.3

That worked. The template stayed mostly the same. I just seem to have 1 problem with my background.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159746 is a reply to message #159745] Fri, 19 June 2009 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like my CSS file was overwritten.

Where is the CSS file located?
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159747 is a reply to message #159746] Fri, 19 June 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I found the CSS file and moved it and the test form looks and functions as it should.

I will now make a datadump of this version and continue moving up the version list.

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159748 is a reply to message #159747] Fri, 19 June 2009 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI

I upgraded from 2.7.3 - 2.7.7 and lost my entire design templates.

Looking for a work around.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159749 is a reply to message #159748] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that is enough messing around for today.

Not sure why I loose my "hotrod" template files when I upgraded. I thought the idea with making a new template and saving it was to avoid the upgrade overwriting a customized "Default" template.

I think at this point I would be better off taking my existing forum, upgraded to 2.8.1 and customizing a new template set.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159750 is a reply to message #159749] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've looked at your forum - you have a beautiful, but very simplistic theme. So, getting back to what I originally suggested. Create a new template set with only the files you have modified - should be header.tmpl, footer.tmpl and forum.css.tmpl. Then you upgrade to 2.8.1 and take 10 or 15 minutes to compare your 3 files with those in the default theme and apply the changes you want to your files. When done, enable it and de-cork the Champaign.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159751 is a reply to message #159750] Fri, 19 June 2009 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I get a chance i will try again.

I just find it such a pain getting into the locked folders and hidden files and shuffling it all around and working with files that are all names the same.

But I will give it a try.
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159794 is a reply to message #159751] Thu, 25 June 2009 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have some time again to mess around.

I did a fresh install of 2.6.15 just they way I have in the past. Everything works fine. Then I try to import forum data from my backup and I get an error...

Fatal error: SQL Error has occurred, please contact the administrator of the forum and have them review the forum's SQL query log in

After that the site is broken. I am not doing anything different from before.

Any ideas?

[Updated on: Thu, 25 June 2009 17:40]

Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159801 is a reply to message #159794] Thu, 25 June 2009 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
So, it worked before, now all of a sudden it not, and you ask us what's wrong?
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159803 is a reply to message #159801] Thu, 25 June 2009 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got it working again.

Rebooted the server. I have now got 2.8.1 working with the template fixed up. I am just doing a dry run of all the little things I need to tweak before I upgrade the real forum. Very Happy
Re: What should I know before I upgrade? [message #159806 is a reply to message #159803] Thu, 25 June 2009 19:37 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Congratulations! Well done.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Admin control center broken after upgrade
Next Topic: Umlaut issue with 2.7.7 on Fedora 8 with UTF-8 (resolved)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 06 09:50:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02532 seconds