FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Posting to newsgroup via web forum query.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161773] Thu, 04 February 2010 04:20 Go to next message
newbie.john is currently offline  newbie.john

I get posts from a newsgroup to my web forum okay but apparently not the other way.

The newsgroup allows only "authenticated" users to post. For example John Smith <jsmith(at)isp(dot)com>

If John Smith posts to the newsgroup, via the forum, then what is the "from" address ? "John Smith" ? jsmith(at)isp(dot)com ? Both ? Or is the sender a FUD address ? If so, then what ?

Can someone here answer these question please ? TIA.

Regards, John.

Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161774 is a reply to message #161773] Thu, 04 February 2010 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
It will be posted as the user. Test it and you'll see - it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to set-up.
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161779 is a reply to message #161774] Thu, 04 February 2010 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 13:05
It will be posted as the user.

In the example I gave is "the user"

"John Smith" ? jsmith(at)isp(dot)com ? Both ?

Test it and you'll see

I did. It doesn't work. Posts made in the web forum don't get to the newsgroup.

- it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to set-up.

To set up ? Please explain what you mean by "set up". I have made a web forum post and it didn't appear in the newsgroup. I have no idea why or how to fix it.

Obviously I have "setup" things correctly to receive newsgroup posts. I have no idea what I need to do extra to post from the web forum to the newsgroup.

Regards, John.

Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161784 is a reply to message #161779] Fri, 05 February 2010 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie.john wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 16:32

I have made a web forum post and it didn't appear in the newsgroup. I have no idea why or how to fix it.

Obviously I have "setup" things correctly to receive newsgroup posts. I have no idea what I need to do extra to post from the web forum to the newsgroup.

Okay, I am pleased to say that I found where to fix this problem. I was thinking as it was a "newsgroups" problem that any error would be found on that page. It wasn't. It was another page.

Regards, John.

Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161788 is a reply to message #161784] Sat, 06 February 2010 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
newbie.john wrote:
Okay, I am pleased to say that I found where to fix this problem. I was thinking as it was a "newsgroups" problem that any error would be found on that page. It wasn't. It was another page.

So what was wrong? How did you solve it?
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #161789 is a reply to message #161788] Sun, 07 February 2010 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sat, 06 February 2010 18:54
newbie.john wrote:

So what was wrong? How did you solve it?

The newsgroup I was posting to only allows "authenticated" users to post. If the email address of the newsgroup poster didn't match the "approved" list then the post would vanish. It wouldn't reach the newsgroup.

Because of the way I configured FUD it was changing the sender info. So users weren't matching the above list. I then changed the FUD configuration again.

The settings were in the Global Settings Manager.

"Obfuscate e-mails in NNTP posts:
Whether or not to obfuscate user e-mails when sending e-mails from FUDforum to newsgroups."

Regards, John.

Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #162343 is a reply to message #161789] Wed, 28 April 2010 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lefthanded.rightminded is currently offline  lefthanded.rightminded   United Kingdom
I am considering providing web access to a private NNTP server using FUDforum and was interested by your question.

Does a post via FUDforum show an email address on the newsgroup server?

Thank You.
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #162347 is a reply to message #162343] Wed, 28 April 2010 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, all newsgroups will show the E-mail address (forums don't). As indicated above, there is an option to obfuscate e-mail addresses in NNTP posts.
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #162733 is a reply to message #162347] Sat, 10 July 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ultra   Philippines
I am also interested in FUDForum's NNTP features, which appear to be great.

There is one slight issue however. When a post is made via the forum, the version of the post on the forum does not contain a Message ID (MID), until it has been updated/replaced by the version on the Usenet server (all Usenet posts need a MID).

Every post from Usenet has a MID in the forum database, while every forum post has NULL. This means if a reply is made to a post before the post is updated from Usenet (and given its correct MID) then the threading is messed up on Usenet. MIDs are essential for proper threading on Usenet.

I'd like it if FUDForum would generate a Message ID and, thereby knowing the MID, it could insert it into the database for that post when it is made. So forum messages no longer have NULL, but the correct MID, even before they are synched with Usenet. So any reply made before synching would have a MID as a 'Reference'.

I know this much is possible, because I have done it myself, but for some reason, depending on the query I made on the database, when synching took place either no new messages were imported from Usenet, or the message with the existing/generated MID was duplicated (not updated/replaced with the Usenet version).

I assumed this would be pretty simple, so any way to do this? Or any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks.

[Reposted as it didn't show first time.]
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #162737 is a reply to message #162733] Sat, 10 July 2010 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Kwoteer:
When a post is made via the forum, the version of the post on the forum does not contain a Message ID (MID), until it has been updated/replaced by the version on the Usenet server

Messages are posted without a MID yes, but as soon as it is reimported to FUDforum, the MID will be stored. So, everything should work out well if you run the import script frequently enough.

Kwoteer:
I assumed this would be pretty simple, so any way to do this? Or any idea what's going wrong?

I agree, it should be easy to generate a MID. However, I don't know if clients are allowed to do it? Will it be honoured? If so, we can add it to the next release.
Re: Posting to newsgroup via web forum query. [message #162799 is a reply to message #162737] Sun, 18 July 2010 16:15 Go to previous message
ultra   Philippines
naudefj wrote on Sat, 10 July 2010 12:25
Messages are posted without a MID yes, but as soon as it is reimported to FUDforum, the MID will be stored. So, everything should work out well if you run the import script frequently enough.

Yeah. I only noticed or have a problem with this with a moderated newsgroup that could probably only have to be updated every 24 hours. Obviously this would leave a lot of time for people to reply via the forum to a message without a MID.

naudefj wrote on Sat, 10 July 2010 12:25
I agree, it should be easy to generate a MID. However, I don't know if clients are allowed to do it? Will it be honoured? If so, we can add it to the next release.

Yes, I've never known any server not accept client generated MIDs, and the worst that would happen is it would be overwritten by the server, since to reject it would break some Newsreaders.

I did do this already, basing it on how the MID is done for mailing list posts, so it was generated and placed into the database correctly. So the forum messages always have a MID which remains the same after synchronisation.

Unfortunately depending on what I did, I couldn't get the forum post to be updated with/replaced by the Usenet post. It would either duplicate the post, or all posts would stop being imported, which is the problem I'm having with it.

One additional thing I did was change the check from the X-FUDForum header to the MID header. I think that there's a potential for abuse with the X-FUDForum header. It's trivial for someone to forge that header which could cause problems if the forum would update a message with a 'proper' (but forged) X-FUDForum header sent on Usenet.

The MID however is impossible to forge because it has to be unique; no two messages are allowed to have the same MID at the same time on the Usenet server. I'd recommend you change the check from X-FUDForum to a (generated in FUDForum) MID. Something like [uniqueID]@FUDForum would be possible, if you still wanted FUDForum mentioned in the headers.

This would preserve correct threading if a post is replied to before it's updated from Usenet (what I'm trying to do) and be more secure, allowing less potential for abuse of the forum via Usenet posters/spammers.

Apologies for the delay in replying, and for the previous double post.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 July 2010 16:18]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Removing disclaimers from mailing list synced postings
Next Topic: manually extract files from .fud.gz?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 00:50:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01911 seconds