FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162281] Tue, 20 April 2010 20:00 Go to next message
forumstudent is currently offline  forumstudent   United States
I am trying hard to make a decision between FUD, phpbb3/latest, and SMF/latest.

The feature sets of all three are pretty large.

Are there any specific advantages of one over the other?

FUD is faster and more efficient than phpbb3 or SMF in the use of a server's resources, is it not?

I am sure many people are interested in this topic.
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162282 is a reply to message #162281] Tue, 20 April 2010 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing I notice right off is that with phpbb3 a user cannot request their password/username via email if they forgot both.

I like being able to login with either my username or email address, and then password. Cause sometimes I forget the many usernames I have used in the virtual world Wink

So, that is disadvantage with phpbb3. Is this the same for FUD ?

Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162283 is a reply to message #162282] Tue, 20 April 2010 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum is extremely strong in the areas of performance and security.

home.poker.friends wrote:
One thing I notice right off is that with phpbb3 a user cannot request their password/username via email if they forgot both.

OK, +1 for FUDforum then.

I like being able to login with either my username or email address, and then password. Cause sometimes I forget the many usernames I have used in the virtual world Wink

It should be easy with a small plugin. I'll try to do one tomorrow.

Best of luck!
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162285 is a reply to message #162283] Tue, 20 April 2010 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm liking FUD a lot Wink

Let me know when that plugin becomes officially available.
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162289 is a reply to message #162285] Wed, 21 April 2010 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm hoping that some other folks also chime in and provide some comparison /feedback of the three forums I mentioned: SMF2+, phpbb3+, and FUDforum 3+.

Has anyone switched from SMF or phpbb to FUDforum?
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162301 is a reply to message #162281] Wed, 21 April 2010 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
home.poker.friends wrote on Tue, 20 April 2010 15:00
I am trying hard to make a decision between FUD, phpbb3/latest, and SMF/latest.

Simple question, but the answer is not so easy and depends a lot on what kind of person you are, and where you want to go with your Forum experience.

When I began I looked at SMF, PHBB, as well as Grey Matter, CFBB, VBulletin, and a few others. Ultimately the choice of FUDforum was easy for me!

I did not want what was the most popular or the prettiest (with everyone and their brother providing Mods and skins and other add-ons Willy-nilly). Instead I wanted Brute strength, in a free stand alone program with flexibility, room for growth, and superior security.

FUDforum filled all those bills in spades, and then some. And has continued to grow and improve, in many ways much faster than I have been able to learn (but that is my weakness not FUDforum's).

Virtually every aspect of FUDforum can be maintained through the Admins control panel which is the most comprehensive I have seen in any of the forums I have tried, there is to my knowledge simply no comparison.

In short FUDforum is one of the best kept secrets in the forum world, Ideal for the rugged individual desiring to make their own way in the forum world, and to become part of something larger than them selves. It offers its users the opportunity to be leaders and innovators not just user slaves to software provided by someone else.

Communication, Community and Collaboration are the hallmarks of any forum, so it becomes not so much which is the best software but which is best for you!

Are you a leader or a follower? Do you have the strength, knowledge and fortitude to go against what is popular and easy; and are you willing and able to become part of a project which is setting a new standard of excellence by which other forums will be judged?

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162314 is a reply to message #162283] Sat, 24 April 2010 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Tue, 20 April 2010 14:24
FUDforum is extremely strong in the areas of performance and security.

OK, +1 for FUDforum then.

It should be easy with a small plugin. I'll try to do one tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Were you serious about that patch/plugin? That is a feature that I really think would reduce admin overhead / time. Let me know the status of that plugin. Thanks!!
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162355 is a reply to message #162314] Thu, 29 April 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
My apologies for taking so long. Here is the plugin: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fudforum/changeset/4951
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #162960 is a reply to message #162355] Thu, 09 September 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slowmo is currently offline  slowmo   Singapore
no one say thanks you T_T. you are too good naudefj.
thanks. Smile
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #163411 is a reply to message #162960] Tue, 26 October 2010 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cupper3 is currently offline  cupper3
One review site suggests that FUDforum does not allow for segmented log ins. As example:

"A" class users can see forums that are restricted to the general public

"B" class users can see the general forums, all "A" forums, PLUS forums restricted to "B" users.

Does FUDforum support different classes of users?
Re: Advantages of FUDforum over phpbb3 and SMF - anyone know the details? [message #163412 is a reply to message #163411] Tue, 26 October 2010 19:09 Go to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Yes it does, you can create an unlimited amount of usergroups, separate regular registered users from anonymous users and create other "secret" groups where you grant access based on your own criterias. Each usergroup can have changed settings, for example one group could only be allowed to reply to topics and not create their own, etc.

The group system is very powerful, although I have to admit, not the simplest in the world to understand in 30 seconds, but after 5 minutes you should have it under full control!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Export from html files
Next Topic: Forced Forum Subscriptions
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 05 23:20:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04036 seconds