FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » User/Group Management
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
User/Group Management [message #1889] Wed, 24 April 2002 13:38 Go to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
I played a bit around with that feature and I really like it a lot. However there are some things which I think that could be improved. When setting up the rights there are the pre-defined masks called "anonymous" and "all registerred users" which is quite practical. But once I want to setup a rule for moderators or administrators I need to type in each name manually, set the rights manually and assign them to a forum or category. This is quite unpractical once u have a lot of forums and u want to set the rights more explicitely.
So my proposal would be that u first create a new mask like for instance "phreaks" or "trolls" and define for the rights for it. Then u just add the people who are supposed to have the same rights granted. In the group editor u could easily assign those masks to the forums/categories just like with "anonymous" or "all registerred users" I think this would be more convenient, since u can speed up the process of assigning rights to people. Another advantage would be that configuring the rights would be self explanatory since u derive it by the name of the mask u chose.
There's anopther thing I'd like to mention. If a forum/category is set to be inaccessible for anonymous and ordinary registerred users they still will be able to see the headings of topics created both in the "spylog" and the "last topic" feature on the frontpage together with a direct link to the post (to which access will be denied though). By the time there are discussions about sensitive issues the public shouldn't know about it could be pretty disturbing I think (imagine mods and admins would discuss about some members behaviour and how to react on it, and the affected ppl know by the heading that they re subject of a discussion). My proposal would be only to make things visible that are granted by the viewer's rights. For instance u could show in the example given a plain "not for ur eyes" to indicate that access is restricted. Ok, would be another phrase to be translated but it would improve privacy Smile
bye
Ken
Re: User/Group Management [message #1890 is a reply to message #1889] Wed, 24 April 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually the functionality your talking about already exists in the group manager.

For example.
I create a group "super moderators" and give it ALL the forums as resources.
Then I add the 1st user to the group and allow them to do anythingf (yes to all options).
Any subsequent person added to that group BY DEFAULT will have the same permissions as the last person added to the group.

So, you need to assign permissions only once per group.

The individual user control simply allow you to fine grain the controls for particular users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: User/Group Management [message #1891 is a reply to message #1890] Wed, 24 April 2002 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hm, u re right. I didn't pay enough attention to the forum ressources Sad. This way u can of course create things just like u want them to be. Ok nevermind
bye
Ken
Re: User/Group Management [message #1893 is a reply to message #1891] Wed, 24 April 2002 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The group system is a rather well designed system IHMO, however it may be a little confusing the 1st time you use it, simply because you do not know its full capabilities.
When 2.0 comes out I will certain write a detailed tutorial on how it works & how to use it. In the mean while don't be afraid to ask any questions, this would greatly help me to see which points require clarification & further explanation.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: User/Group Management [message #1899 is a reply to message #1893] Wed, 24 April 2002 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
What makes it difficult to understand is the way u organize the groups. The groups which define a number of people are equal to the groups which define each forum inside of a category. At present it's a bit like throwing everything in one directory. I first thought things would be organized hierachical:
category -> forum -> groups -> single member
and this is the origin of my misunderstanding Wink
Right now a single forum is both a ressource u assign to a group and a group itself to which u can assign single members. This is quite confusing to me. Maybe the single forum groups shouldn't appear, as it doesn't make much sense to set certain global rights for a single forum, when u already have the "mask" anonymous and "registerred". In my opinion adding another "directory level" which seperates user groups from categories/forums would be enough for making the process more transparent.
bye Ken

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2002 15:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: User/Group Management [message #1902 is a reply to message #1899] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I see the source of your confusion.

When a forum is created a group with the same name as the forum is automatically created, this group can be used to manage the permissions inside that particular forum. The group is NOT a resource.

Since both carry the same name, understandably that caused you some confusion. I'll look into added some sort of prefix to group names, so that this type of problem can be avoided.

The way that groups work is like this:

Group
->resource(s) can be more then 1
-> normal users
-> all anonymous users
-> all registered users
-> users who have special permission in the group
(specified by name)
-> Group manager
(gets automatically the highest permissions group offers)

Assigment of Group Managers & Resources can ONLY be done via the admin control panel inside adm/ directory.

The forum admin & group manager(s) can then the user control panel to add/remove users from the group as well as change their permissions.

The user control panel for the group can ONLY modify the settings the admin has allowed the group manager(s) to modify via the admin control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2002 17:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: User/Group Management [message #1903 is a reply to message #1902] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Essentially the group managment system works exactly file group/file permissions work on unix operating system.

Design wise, I think it is a pretty good system to copy Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: User/Group Management [message #1906 is a reply to message #1903] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Ok, now I see. Thanks for the explanation Smile
bye Ken
Re: User/Group Management [message #1937 is a reply to message #1889] Thu, 25 April 2002 22:35 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
In your original comment you've mentioned how "unoriveleged" users can see titles of the messages in retricted forums via user info panel, who's online & who was online today.

This security oversight has been corrected in latest CVS

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Suggestion: code to output singular/plural when needed
Next Topic: minor glitches in RC2
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 08 15:06:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02489 seconds