FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Alternative mailing list message gateway
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Alternative mailing list message gateway [message #19255] Sun, 04 July 2004 03:04 Go to next message
djnz is currently offline  djnz   United Kingdom
There is already a script on this forum for importing messages to a forum for those without access to procmail, but it didn't do everything I wanted so I wrote my own. In case this is useful to anyone I have attached it to this message.

The main additional functionality is:

1. Write messages sent to the forum to a log file before deleting them from the mailbox (useful if you want to import them into another forum some day).

2. For those without access to cron, you can execute the script in the forum code (just include it at the end of index.php). To avoid spamming the mail server, a tag file is used to abort the script if it has been run recently. Also a timeout can be set so things don't take too long (output caching might prevent display until the script has finished).

3. Optionally leave messages in the mailbox (useful for testing the import to your forum).

4. Variable browser output from the script for running directly to see what is going on or including silently.

There are some further improvements that could be made - in particular the script uses IMAP functions and not everyone has these available in PHP so an addition of a POP3 mailbox parser class would be useful (and fairly easy as all the mailbox functions are abstracted into a singe class). I might do this further work if there is a need...
  • Attachment: getlists.php
    (Size: 12.95KB, Downloaded 1412 times)
Re: Could not connect to mailbox [message #28099 is a reply to message #19255] Tue, 11 October 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hurry   India
Hello! While using this script, I constantly get an error via cron or browser: "Could not connect to mailbox: simple"

All my hosting email addresses are imap enabled so I don't know what is going wrong. Please helpp.
Re: Could not connect to mailbox [message #28208 is a reply to message #28099] Thu, 13 October 2005 21:28 Go to previous message
djnz is currently offline  djnz   United Kingdom
Make sure you have the right settings for server, username and password: can you copy these from whatever mail client you use?

If you have a cPanel server with email address user(at)mydomain(dot)com, your server will be mail.mydomain.com and your account user+mydomain.com (don't forget the password).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: extra line breaks and anchors when editing/quoting mailing list posts
Next Topic: Templeates Hack
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 07:21:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02033 seconds