FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Censorship & Replacement System?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2674] Thu, 16 May 2002 11:54 Go to next message
DocObvious is currently offline  DocObvious   United States
Could you give some more details as to how this works? It's a bit confusing in its present form and needs a little documentation. Also, will it retroactively replace or censor words in posts already made or does it have to be set up first?
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2675 is a reply to message #2674] Thu, 16 May 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The system works by allowing you to specify a simple or a regular expression statment that would be matched and replaced wkith the text you want.

This will only affect posts, signatures etc... that have been made AFTER such a filter has been setup.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2676 is a reply to message #2674] Thu, 16 May 2002 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Given that I have a sketchy understanding of regular expressions at best, do I have to format the text to replace as a regular expression or does the system take care of that portion of things? And what exactly are the differences between the three types of replacement used in the system?
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2678 is a reply to message #2676] Thu, 16 May 2002 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
DocObvious wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 8:01 AM

Given that I have a sketchy understanding of regular expressions at best, do I have to format the text to replace as a regular expression or does the system take care of that portion of things? And what exactly are the differences between the three types of replacement used in the system?

essentially you get to choose between 3 php functions that can do replacments inside text.

str_replace, which will simply replace STRING_A with STRING B
ereg_replace, simple php regular expression
preg_replace, perl regular expression.

By using regular expression you can use match masks such as "\stext.*\s", which would match any word that begins with text.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2680 is a reply to message #2676] Thu, 16 May 2002 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 8:01 AM

Fortunately you don't have to use regular expressions, the system allows a simple string replace, and that's the default option! The other option allow all the power of regex with all the readability of regex Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2693 is a reply to message #2674] Thu, 16 May 2002 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, that info helps. How about a specific example? Here's one, now:

Let's say I want to filter the word "spoon" into "sp**n." I want to catch all conjugations and variations of "spoon" such as "spoonful" and "teaspoon" - how would I set up such a filter with each of the three options available? And what are the "From post:" and "To:" input fields for when Perl or PHP regex are selected?
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2698 is a reply to message #2693] Fri, 17 May 2002 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 7:19 PM

Okay, that info helps. How about a specific example? Here's one, now:

Let's say I want to filter the word "spoon" into "sp**n." I want to catch all conjugations and variations of "spoon" such as "spoonful" and "teaspoon" - how would I set up such a filter with each of the three options available? And what are the "From post:" and "To:" input fields for when Perl or PHP regex are selected?

well you could probobly do it with a perl regexp something along the lines of

replace: (\s.*?)spoon(.*?\s)
with: \1sp**n\2

altough you should ask prottoss, he's the regex hacker around here.

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Working Example [message #2699 is a reply to message #2698] Fri, 17 May 2002 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the code you are looking for is something like this:

To: \1sp**n\4

Slight bug in the regex, works fine now.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Working Example [message #2704 is a reply to message #2699] Sat, 18 May 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 11:52 AM

Well, when I try to enter something like that with either Perl regex or PHP regex, all backwards slashes end up getting doubled:

Fron: (\\s|^)([^\\s]*?)spoon([^\\s]*?)(\\s|$)
To: \\1sp**n\\4
Re: Working Example [message #2705 is a reply to message #2704] Sat, 18 May 2002 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 8:35 PM

Well, when I try to enter something like that with either Perl regex or PHP regex, all backwards slashes end up getting doubled:

I fixed that bug few hrs ago in 1.9.9 Razz.. Gunna backport the fix to 1.2.X

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Working Example [message #2706 is a reply to message #2704] Sat, 18 May 2002 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 8:35 PM

Fix backported Smile

Affected file admreplace.php

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Working Example [message #2707 is a reply to message #2706] Sat, 18 May 2002 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just d/l'ed the .zip of 1.2.8 but according to WinZip, the last modified date on that file was 2/21/2002. Could you please attach a copy of the file to this thread? Thanks for all of your help with this.

BTW, I'm actually running 1.2.7 with the code for spoiler tags added manually.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2002 01:13]

Re: Working Example [message #2708 is a reply to message #2707] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 9:11 PM

I just d/l'ed the .zip of 1.2.8 but according to WinZip, the last modified date on that file was 2/21/2002. Could you please attach a copy of the file to this thread? Thanks for all of your help with this.

Err... no you need to check it out from CVS Razz

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Working Example [message #2709 is a reply to message #2708] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:21 PM

[Black Adder voice]Oh, damn...[/Black Adder voice]

CVS? I'm on a Win98 box here and frankly CVS is more of a lifestyle than an application to me. I understand regex better than I understand CVS. Sad
Re: Working Example [message #2710 is a reply to message #2709] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:25 PM

hackie wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:21 PM

[Black Adder voice]Oh, damn...[/Black Adder voice]

CVS? I'm on a Win98 box here and frankly CVS is more of a lifestyle than an application to me. I understand regex better than I understand CVS. Sad

Well, CVS is easy, but you need to find a CVS client for win32... Razz

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Working Example [message #2711 is a reply to message #2710] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I took a look at WinCVS once and ran away screaming. Confused

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2002 02:28]

Re: Working Example [message #2712 is a reply to message #2711] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:28 PM

Yes, I took a look at WinCVS once and ran away screaming. Confused

Hmmm... err, we'll prolly setup webcvs on the weekends Razz

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2713 is a reply to message #2674] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the biggest obstacles for me is that I can't install FUD on my development box (the Win98 machine) with the way I have it set up for my job. FUD and the rest of my site are installed on a remote host machine somewhere in Florida. So as far as I can tell, running WinCVS would do me no good in this instance.
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2714 is a reply to message #2713] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:34 PM

One of the biggest obstacles for me is that I can't install FUD on my development box (the Win98 machine) with the way I have it set up for my job. FUD and the rest of my site are installed on a remote host machine somewhere in Florida. So as far as I can tell, running WinCVS would do me no good in this instance.

A question, though, why can't you install FUD on a win98 box? I really don't see anything that you can do to a win98 box that would make fud not run on it!

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2715 is a reply to message #2714] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:36 PM

A question, though, why can't you install FUD on a win98 box? I really don't see anything that you can do to a win98 box that would make fud not run on it!

It seems to balk at the concept of creating symlinks to the GLOBALS file during the installation and fails.
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2716 is a reply to message #2715] Sat, 18 May 2002 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:38 PM

hackie wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 10:36 PM

It seems to balk at the concept of creating symlinks to the GLOBALS file during the installation and fails.

Err.... which version was that!? That was fixed a long tiem ago

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2717 is a reply to message #2716] Sat, 18 May 2002 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I just spent some time trying to get 1.2.8 working here. The symlink problem is gone and I had to jiggle the handle a little (an input field in the setup process has backslashes instead of forward ones) but I made it much further through the process - all the way up to the initial login. But when I try to log in, I'm greeted with several blue screens of death after which I'm forced into a hard reboot and ultimately the database ends up being corrupted.
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2721 is a reply to message #2717] Sat, 18 May 2002 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

DocObvious wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 12:16 AM

Well, I just spent some time trying to get 1.2.8 working here. The symlink problem is gone and I had to jiggle the handle a little (an input field in the setup process has backslashes instead of forward ones) but I made it much further through the process - all the way up to the initial login. But when I try to log in, I'm greeted with several blue screens of death after which I'm forced into a hard reboot and ultimately the database ends up being corrupted.

Err... I'm not sure how fud can be blamed for that..... FUD bsoded a win98 box? err.. I'm proud, or at least I would be if it was FUD Smile

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2723 is a reply to message #2721] Sat, 18 May 2002 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it's FUD's fault either, but it happens whenever I try to use FUD here. Like I said, my Win98 box is tricked out a little weird so that I can use Apache, Perl, MySQL and PHP for development versions of sites that eventually get installed on a remote Unix host. *shrug*

Meanwhile, I'm wrestling with WinCVS...
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2724 is a reply to message #2723] Sat, 18 May 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've setup Web CVS so you can use that if you need to download 1 or two files.

Web CVS can be found at http://cvs.prohost.org/c/viewcvs.cgi/

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2725 is a reply to message #2724] Sat, 18 May 2002 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 10:31 AM

I've setup Web CVS so you can use that if you need to download 1 or two files.

Web CVS can be found at http://cvs.prohost.org/c/viewcvs.cgi/

I spotted that link and I've got the latest version of admreplace.php now. Thanks, guys - you people are the most helpful developers I've ever encountered. Smile
Re: Working Example [message #2727 is a reply to message #2711] Sat, 18 May 2002 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
Well, I know a whole lot less about CVS and WinCVS than you do!

Here is what I do...On the main WinCVS menu click the Admin, Command Line option. In the popup dialog box you will enter info from the following post

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/tree.php?th=267&start=0&rid=177&S= ff5bc6a4233250f6b09b807570de2884

The first thing you want to do is select the folder - I think you have to create before hand in Windows Explorer.

Then run the following once and only once...

cvs -z9 -d : pserver:anonymous(at)asuka(dot)prohost(dot)org:/forum2 checkout .

( but I changed -z9 to -z3 and don't forget the period AND there is no space between the first : and pserver )

This puts a full copy on your local hard drive. At this point the copy your local hard drive should agree with the real version on your webserver. If not, upload the copy on your local hard drive to your webserver. ( Boy, I hate saying that - it's scary to upload files over a working version - I have backed up the webserver version just in case )

Once the FUD team starts making changes you can run

cvs -z9 -d : pserver:anonymous(at)asuka(dot)prohost(dot)org:/forum2 update .

(once again -z9 to -z3 AND there is no space between the first : and pserver )

You will see the updated files in the output window of WinCVS

I just copy those into a text file which I print out. I then use the printout and upload the files on it as appropriate.

The version of CVS on my webserver is not current so I cannot do it there and thus I must resort to WinCVS.

And I have no knowledge of how to, or if I even can, use the

./create_file_list install >> install.php

Maybe the FUD team will have corrections/additions to the above. I sure hope so! Very Happy

I have just looked at the webCVS. Mabye this will allow us to download the files for a praticular update. I din't understand all the options but give me time...Looks like you can download at least one file at a time.

Ya' just hate to make a mistake and write over a good file with the wrong file...

See, toldja' I didn't know much...but willing to learn

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Working Example [message #2728 is a reply to message #2727] Sat, 18 May 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the helpful info - I'm guessing that you also installed Tcl prior to installing WinCVS? This is one of the reasons I refer to CVS as a lifestyle. Wink

Yes, I'm always willing to learn too but my job tends to keep my brain so full of work-related things that I seldom have time or inclination to pick up any new knowledge unless there's a way to directly apply it to whatever project is on my desk at the moment. Smile
Re: Working Example [message #2729 is a reply to message #2728] Sat, 18 May 2002 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, no way to keep up with everything...! I'm doing good if I can keep up with just the essentials

hmmm... what is Tlc?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Working Example [message #2730 is a reply to message #2729] Sat, 18 May 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esm2002 wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 12:38 PM

yep, no way to keep up with everything...! I'm doing good if I can keep up with just the essentials

hmmm... what is Tlc?

From what I can gather from http://www.wincvs.org, Tcl/Tk is a scripting language that allows the macros built into WinCVS to work. I was under the impression that it was necessary to use the command line functions as you listed above.
Re: Working Example [message #2732 is a reply to message #2730] Sat, 18 May 2002 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I never read the documentation. I guess that is why I was lost in WinCVS...! Shocked

Never did figure it out...then stumbled onto the command line and that is all I have ever done...

You are on your on with TLC...Very Happy

Gene
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2735 is a reply to message #2674] Sun, 19 May 2002 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've located a good WinCVS tutorial at http://crystal.sourceforge.net/docs/online/manual/cs_108.php#SEC209 - it helped me figure out a few things and hopefully you can learn from it, too. Smile
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #2736 is a reply to message #2735] Sun, 19 May 2002 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks...that really looks good!!!

Gene
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #5380 is a reply to message #2721] Fri, 30 August 2002 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 01:36

DocObvious wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 12:16 AM

Err... I'm not sure how fud can be blamed for that..... FUD bsoded a win98 box? err.. I'm proud, or at least I would be if it was FUD Smile

Well, it's taken me a while to get back to this but I discovered the source of the crashes: Norton AntiVirus' auto-protect feature. They should call it an auto-OVERprotect because that's what it does, it over-protects a system to the point of making it crash outright rather than allow system-level commands to be executed. I discovered this while working on an unrelated project using Runtime Revolution to develop some software. Once I shut off the auto-protect, everything went just fine.
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #5381 is a reply to message #5380] Fri, 30 August 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thank you for letting us know of this issue, although I am quite puzzled as to why would PHP trigger this kind of action by the anti-virus.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #5410 is a reply to message #5381] Sun, 01 September 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Fri, 30 August 2002 07:56

Thank you for letting us know of this issue, although I am quite puzzled as to why would PHP trigger this kind of action by the anti-virus.

Well, I know that Runtime Revolution seems to have issues with it whenever it executes a shell() command. FUD causes a similar problem when the admin panel is accessed, either during the first login on the system or when clicking the link in the upper right of the forum.
Re: Censorship & Replacement System? [message #5433 is a reply to message #5410] Tue, 03 September 2002 13:00 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hrm, most unusual, the admglobals.php does not execute any commands using shell() or equivalent. In fact it only performs an fopen() for reading and another fopen() for writing if any of the forum configuration directives have been altered.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Theme manager
Next Topic: Exploiting the current email filter
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 05:10:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02575 seconds