FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » add reply by email link to notifications
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
add reply by email link to notifications [message #24338] Sun, 24 April 2005 23:18 Go to next message
jhogue is currently offline  jhogue   United States
I have fudforum 2.6.12 set up to send notifications from the forum and receive posts from email. All is working nicely.

Instead of having users who receive notifications click Reply and be taken to the forum page (where they have to remember the user name and password), I'd like to have each email notification include the post-to-forum email address for the forum which sent the email. If body mangling is the way to do this, I'm afraid I'll need a pointer.

It is ok with me if the reply email isn't nicely tucked in as a reply to the previous post.

Thanks! I dig fudforum!
Re: add reply by email link to notifications [message #24352 is a reply to message #24338] Mon, 25 April 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, what you need to do is 1st make it so that the sent notifications are HTML (option you can toggle in admin controls). Then you need to embed a simple reply form inside that HTML, so that the post submission can be done directly from the e-mail client.

FUDforum Core Developer
where do I add html content to outgoing mail? [message #24358 is a reply to message #24338] Mon, 25 April 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for replying. Where do I put my added mailto: content? Do I edit a file somewhere in the back end or type the html into a configuration field?

This needs to be added to every automatic email sent by the forum, and will be different for each forum.

Thanks again.

Re: where do I add html content to outgoing mail? [message #24359 is a reply to message #24358] Mon, 25 April 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to edit the html e-mail body template and logic inside imsg_edt.inc.t

FUDforum Core Developer
icon6.gif  Above my head.... for now [message #24376 is a reply to message #24338] Tue, 26 April 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ilia

I've looked at imsg_edt.inc.t, and it is a bit above my current skill level. I'll need to learn more about php.

I guess there hasn't been much interest from users in inserting custom text or html into every email from the list. If someone has done this, I'd love to hear how.

If anyone else decides to peek, the file Ilia is referring to is in the FUDforum/src directory that is installed above the directory that contains your index.php file.

Wait a minute... [message #24381 is a reply to message #24338] Tue, 26 April 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could change this somehow, couldn't I?

iemail_frm_bodyemail: To view the topic go to:\n{VAR: goto_url['email']}\n\nTo stop receiving notifications about new topics in this forum, please go here: {VAR: unsub_url['email']}
add
To email the list without logging into the forum, click here: [mailto: (code that gets the forum's send-to email address and puts it here)]

correct?
I guess it is not elegant, since it would have to be tweaked for each template and language.

Oh, and --minor detail-- this bodyemail msg is not actually being sent out on my list, and I don't know why. The subject line is, but the body looks like a chunk of the forum, without the text in the lang file.

Sorry, I'm still learning fudforum's methods.

J
Re: Wait a minute... [message #24382 is a reply to message #24381] Tue, 26 April 2005 16:04 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are close, what you are seeing are the PLAIN TEXT variants of the notification e-mails being sent. What you want are the HTML variants found inside iemail.tmpl template.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: header-footer files
Next Topic: Update user settings without password
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:21:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02859 seconds