FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Most users ever online was "more than expected"
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30101] Sat, 04 February 2006 13:23 Go to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
We're running Fudforum v2.7.3 (upgraded in the last week from prev version) and like the new (to us at least) "Most Users Ever Online Was xxx" feature Smile

For a day or so this worked well and showed 9 users then 12 at some point, but on Friday morning at 5.23am (GMT) at a time when our forum would normally be pretty much dead (as we're in the UK) this figure hit 200 users online when i'd have been very surprised if there was more than 1 or 2 logged in users around and less than 10 anon users.

Often there seems to be an unusually large portion of anon users on our forum but when I've looked in the past during normal times this has never really been more than 20 max.

q: is it likely that internet search bots could have created this unrealistic figure?

q: is there an easy way to reset the figure and/or exlude anon users from the stats?

[Updated on: Sat, 04 February 2006 13:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30105 is a reply to message #30101] Sat, 04 February 2006 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The unusually high number is generally the result of a search engine or a proxy crawling the site. Since they don't send cookies back, each request from the appears as a separate user.

You can modify the logic inside logedin.inc.t to exclude anonymous users from the count.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30123 is a reply to message #30105] Sun, 05 February 2006 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Ilia wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 21:45

You can modify the logic inside logedin.inc.t to exclude anonymous users from the count.

Is it as simple as setting

$obj->online_users_anon = q_singleval('0');

or is it more complicated?

Is there a way to exclude anon users from the "Views" stats of the messages?

I guess some people in our forum use a script to visit certain topics anonymously and repeatedly to make them "popular" . Very Happy Childish, but it's real Very Happy

---
(And a little suggestion that doesn't deserve a new topic: Why not allow aliases in THIS forum?)

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2006 20:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30124 is a reply to message #30123] Sun, 05 February 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is a bit simpler, on the line where it calculates most visited, simply remove the addition of anon visitors to the total.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30155 is a reply to message #30101] Tue, 07 February 2006 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kermit is currently offline  Kermit   United Kingdom
thanks for your replies, I'll pm the forums admin/owner as I think the logedin.inc.t is out of my reach in the admin panel (even though he's given me admin rights)

As a follow up, Im guessing this will work but that it won't actually reset the 200 Users to zero so is the 200 stored as a value elsewhere?
Re: Most users ever online was "more than expected" [message #30156 is a reply to message #30155] Wed, 08 February 2006 00:14 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is stored inside the stats table.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Problem after running "Forum Consistency"
Next Topic: Icon Management
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:04:02 GMT 2024