FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #33954] Thu, 28 September 2006 16:54 Go to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
If you write a bunch of text, and want to apply text formating, for example the [b][/b] code around, lets say a "headline" then after highlighting the selected text and clicking the http://fudforum.org/forum/theme/default/images/b_bold.gif button, the cursor will pop down to the end of your text, which if you have a long post and want to make lots of formatting, is very very annoying.

I searched the forum for tweaks or fixes, where you at one point pointed out that you had the "focus problem fixed in CVS" but it didn't apply to this problem. The problem exists on your version of fudforum as well (fudform.org) - The cursor works in IE (you highlight text, format it, and cursor ends up at the end of the word(s) instead of at the end of the entire text.

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #33962 is a reply to message #33954] Fri, 29 September 2006 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I've checked 3 browsers so far:

Firefox, Safari and Opera and it works fine in those 3, the cursor position is placed before the highlighted text.

In IE 6 the cursor position remains around the selected text and is placed where you click your mouse after.

So in my tests on 4 browsers I do see a problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #33991 is a reply to message #33954] Sat, 30 September 2006 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make a long post (one that forces your edit window to scroll) - Then go somewhere in the middle, highlight a word, make it bold - observe that the scrollwindow will move to the top, and your cursor will move to the end of the text. Perhaps it's a firefox setting, but many of my users experience the same problem. (I have the same problem in phpBB boards as well, but the problem does not occur when using those fancy java WYSBLAH editors.)

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34024 is a reply to message #33991] Sun, 01 October 2006 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tried a number of solutions and it appears that there is a browser that exists that causes it to lose the position in the textbox on large inputs. Even attempts to forcefully set the position via JavaScript are un-successful.

In IE it works fine regardless of the text quantity.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34029 is a reply to message #33954] Sun, 01 October 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it seems more of a browser bug than a code bug, was just hoping there was a way to walk around it perhaps.

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34043 is a reply to message #34029] Mon, 02 October 2006 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unfortunately there does not appear to be way. I've trying using JS to force firefox to place the cursor at the start of the selected string, but it appears to ignore this :/

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34044 is a reply to message #33954] Mon, 02 October 2006 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will browse their site for known bugs. However, it would be super if you could report this problem too them (I think they already know though), but since you "talk the talk" I guess it would be more appropriate.

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34800 is a reply to message #33954] Sat, 18 November 2006 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a fix (copy pasted from the internet):
Url for the format
<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="surroundText('[b]', '[/b]', document.post_form.msg_body); return false;">

function surroundText(text1, text2, textarea)
{
	// Can a text range be created?
	if (typeof(textarea.caretPos) != "undefined" && textarea.createTextRange)
	{
		var caretPos = textarea.caretPos;

caretPos.text = caretPos.text.charAt(caretPos.text.length - 1) == ' ' ? text1 + caretPos.text + text2 + ' ' : text1 + caretPos.text + text2;
		caretPos.select();
	}
	// Mozilla text range wrap.
	else if (typeof(textarea.selectionStart) != "undefined")
	{
		var begin = textarea.value.substr(0, textarea.selectionStart);
		var selection = textarea.value.substr(textarea.selectionStart, textarea.selectionEnd - textarea.selectionStart);
		var end = textarea.value.substr(textarea.selectionEnd);
		var newCursorPos = textarea.selectionStart;
		var scrollPos = textarea.scrollTop;

textarea.value = begin + text1 + selection + text2 + end;

if (textarea.setSelectionRange)
		{
			if (selection.length == 0)
				textarea.setSelectionRange(newCursorPos + text1.length, newCursorPos + text1.length);
			else
				textarea.setSelectionRange(newCursorPos, newCursorPos + text1.length + selection.length + text2.length);
			textarea.focus();
		}
		textarea.scrollTop = scrollPos;
	}
	// Just put them on the end, then.
	else
	{
		textarea.value += text1 + text2;
		textarea.focus(textarea.value.length - 1);
	}
}

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34825 is a reply to message #34800] Sun, 19 November 2006 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for that info. I've reviewed the code and applied the relevant focus bit to the FUDforum's code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34860 is a reply to message #33954] Tue, 21 November 2006 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The lib.js you currently have in the CVS does not help the problem I am afraid Ilia. I am not good with JavaScript so I dont even understand the code, all I know is the code I posted works, while the new lib.js does not Sad

Re: Cursor focus after formatting text in Firefox [message #34869 is a reply to message #34860] Tue, 21 November 2006 15:14 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tested it n Firefox 2.0 and it works properly in that browser.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: SOLVED: &amp; and stuff in last message
Next Topic: Freaking out: My theme vanished
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:58:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03601 seconds