FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #11710] Mon, 14 July 2003 21:46 Go to next message
morganw is currently offline  morganw   United States
http://fud.prohost.org/doc/d/html/installation.html#install.verify.config

says that to get MySQL version, use

<?php
mysql_connect("127.0.0.1", "USER_NAME", "PASSWORD");
$result = mysql_query("SELECT VERSION()");
list($mysql_version) = mysql_row_arr($result);
echo "MySQL Version: ".$mysql_version."<br>\n";
mysql_free_result($result);
?>

I just got next-to-latest stable PHP (4.3.1 'cause 4.3.2 download links were broken) & built it from source. It doesn't have a mysql_row_arr() function. Instead, I used this to get the version:

<?php
mysql_connect("127.0.0.1", "USER_NAME", "PASSWORD");
$ver_result = @mysql_query("SELECT Version() AS version");
$ver_row = @mysql_fetch_array($ver_result);
$mySQLversion = $ver_row["version"];
echo "MySQL Version: ".$mySQLversion."<br>\n";
mysql_free_result($ver_result);
?>

Which gave me this as output:

this is the body
PHP Version: 4.3.1
MySQL Version: 3.23.47-log

(I used the built-in MySQL. Install FUDForum next....)
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #11716 is a reply to message #11710] Mon, 14 July 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is a bug in the documentation, the correct function name is 'mysql_fetch_row'. As far as your configuration goes it should be sufficient to get FUDforum installed and running.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34600 is a reply to message #11716] Thu, 09 November 2006 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebyrob is currently offline  ebyrob   United States
Wow was this message posted in 2003? What's it take to fix a documentation bug like this?

I'm attempting an initial install on OpenBSD and just encountered this problem.

Here are my versions with the fix:
PHP Version: 4.4.1
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-log
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34605 is a reply to message #34600] Thu, 09 November 2006 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What error specifically did you get?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34612 is a reply to message #34605] Thu, 09 November 2006 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just followed the directions in the documentation and method mysql_row_arr() did not exist. (Doc's still reference that function...)
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34625 is a reply to message #34612] Fri, 10 November 2006 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does not utilize this function, so how is this a FUDforum problem?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34634 is a reply to message #34625] Fri, 10 November 2006 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really hope you're joking.

The page linked here is on the "fudforum" site and is part of what appears to be official documentation.

http://fudforum.org/doc/d/html/installation.html#install.verify.config

If that isn't official documentation, you might say so. If you don't care about correct documentation I just don't know what to say...
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34657 is a reply to message #34634] Sun, 12 November 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's documentation, not the FUDforum's source code. In newer versions you can just use the installer and it'll automatically check to see if you have the right version of MySQL or not.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34668 is a reply to message #34657] Mon, 13 November 2006 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this is the "installation issues" forum. Perhaps this is slightly off topic but I didn't post the original message, I was just replying to something I found while diagnosing a problem I had.

Am I somehow being unclear? Am I missing something important in the current docs? You seem awfully inclined to justify yourself. If you don't want to fix the docs, then don't. However, if you keep telling me "this isn't a code issue, it's a documentation issue" I feel like we're not understanding each other very well because I recognized that in my very first post. (I believe I even asked how to get a "documentation bug" fixed...)

In newer versions you can just use the installer and it'll automatically check to see if you have the right version of MySQL or not.

Is this mentioned in the current documentation? If so, I entirely missed it. I clicked documentation->view online, then jumped strait to Installation and this was one of the first items on that page. I didn't see anything about automatic checking in newer versions of FUDforum.
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34676 is a reply to message #34668] Tue, 14 November 2006 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
heh, well the general approach is to try to install and check the docs when things don't work. As a rule FUDforum installer works from the first try and very rarely do the people need to consult the documentation for extra information.

The issue you've pointed in the docs, has in fact been fixed in the doc cvs, however it'd be a while before the documentation is rebuilt and starts to reflect the correction.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: obtaining MySQL version: mysql_row_arr error [message #34685 is a reply to message #34676] Tue, 14 November 2006 18:15 Go to previous message
Ah. It all makes sense now. Thanks.

I guess I am a bit obsessive about reading docs. Of course, even I don't read the whole thing before getting started.

Hmm... The updated docs are in CVS. Whodathunkit? I could only dream of doing that in a work environment.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Restoring FUDforum Fails
Next Topic: Unlocking files cause Server Error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:34:56 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02680 seconds