FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Confusion over inheritance and permissions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Confusion over inheritance and permissions [message #12123] Tue, 29 July 2003 14:52 Go to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but under Groups Manager, 'Inherit from' only deals with group permissions, not member permissions, right?

I create a new group "OLD_GAMES", say 'yes' to global anon and reg masks, set 'Inherit from' to 'Nowhere'. Then I 'edit users' of that new group and set global anon and reg users to only have 'view' and 'read' permissions.

Then I go back to Groups Manager, click 'edit' on an existing group and change its 'Inherit from' from a different group to "OLD_GAMES".

I then click 'edit' on "OLD_Games" and select that existing forum under Group Resources and click update.

Then when I click 'edit users' on that existing forum, I *expect* to see the same global anon and reg users set to only 'view' and 'read' permissions, but I don't see that!

Its quite possible that some time ago I had manually edited the global anon and reg users permissions for that existing forum, and now those are still the permissions I see, even though "OLD_GAMES" group is supposed to be controlling that existing forum now. I even went through other 'control' groups that I had made in the past to ensure that no other group was set to control that existing forum under Group Resources.

So, I'm not seeing the behaviour I'm expecting.

If it is a problem of previously manually set user permissions (global anon and reg users) on that existing forum, how can I 'reset' or 'remove' those permissions so that they can be set correctly by the "OLD_GAMES" group? I may have a LOT of this kind of problem (using version 2.3.5), and finally decided to ask about it.

(this is where it would be VERY handy to see a tree diagram showing where all the permissions for that forum are set from, (which groups control that forum, where manually set user permissions may block group set user permissions) so I could know where the problem was located)

Thank you.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Confusion over inheritance and permissions [message #12157 is a reply to message #12123] Wed, 30 July 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
AutoHost wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 10:52

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but under Groups Manager, 'Inherit from' only deals with group permissions, not member permissions, right?

That is correct.

The situations you've described does infact sound like a bug, but the code base between 2.3.5 and 2.5.1 is so disimilar it is difficult to say if the bug would not be fixed by an upgrade.

What sort of permissions do you see instead of the ones that you expect?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Confusion over inheritance and permissions [message #12221 is a reply to message #12157] Thu, 31 July 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
I saw the previous permissions I had set manually, global_anon all permissions OFF, global_reg_users view/read/post/ etc

So the major thing was that global_anon perms were all OFF.

How is it handled when one group controls the resources of another using global-anon and global-reg-users masks, AND then the admin manually makes changes to the user permissions of the controlled forum?? Which set of user permissions takes precidence? At the moment, it looks like manually changed user permissions on a forum override permissions set by a controlling group. If so, then I have no idea how to 'reset' my forums' permissions so that the controlling groups will set user permissions correctly.

Also, can I upgrade straight from 2.3.5 to 2.5.1, or do I need to upgrade to 2.3.8 or 2.3.9r2 or so first?

I've added a new table in my fud_ database, and several new fields to the fud_users table. I modified the /sq/mysql/fud_users.tbl file and created another .tbl file for the new table. Is that enough to have the new table and additional fields come through the upgrade ok?

I am expecting that I'll have to recreate my custom theme, and I know I'll have to recode all the code changes I made to my forum's FUD source and admin modules that handle my rank_point changes.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Confusion over inheritance and permissions [message #12230 is a reply to message #12221] Thu, 31 July 2003 17:40 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can upgrade from any 2.+ release to 2.5.2 in one step.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: non-Slow Reply Matching for email->FUDforum --SOLVED--
Next Topic: Reimport Causing Indexing Problems
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 16:05:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02322 seconds