FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » Test Forum » Neat board, but php not perl...
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon13.gif  Neat board, but php not perl... [message #952] Thu, 14 March 2002 02:42 Go to next message
Anonymous   Germany
Perl would be much much better, especially with HTML::Mason http://www.masonhq.com/ Embarassed
icon14.gif  Re: Neat board, but php not perl... [message #1234 is a reply to message #952] Tue, 26 March 2002 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Netherlands
Totally agree about the perl part. Much more powerfull *AND* faster. Nice forum though.
Re: Neat board, but php not perl... [message #1236 is a reply to message #952] Tue, 26 March 2002 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Perl is indeed a more powerful language in general, however PHP, which has been designed for web development in most cases is better then Perl for such a task. In most cases PHP will be faster then perl for web stuff.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Neat board, but php not perl... [message #1237 is a reply to message #1236] Tue, 26 March 2002 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Netherlands
My experience is that mod_perl is faster than PHP. Also, in Perl you can have several language constructions like pre-compiled regular expressions which can really speed up your code. BTW, i'm more of a non-html-embedded kind of guy, but that's very subjective i guess.
Re: Neat board, but php not perl... [message #1238 is a reply to message #1237] Tue, 26 March 2002 17:58 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually PHP uses perl regular expression library for its regex so the speed is virtually the same, unless of course you prfe-compile the regular expression.

As for speed, I think that depends entirely on the application itself and how the code is used. Both languages have their own optimization tricks that can be used to speed up code.
In addition there are a number of packages that optimize PHP, such as APC for example which caches the interpreted PHP code in memory so it does not need to be interpreted again and Zend Optimizer, which runs the code through several optimization routines before executing the code.

I think I speed was the ONLY consideration we'd all probably be using C anyway since both PHP & Perl are WAY slower then C.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: ¥¢±Ñ¬°¦¨¥\¤§¥À
Next Topic: Testing (duh)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 13:21:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02251 seconds