FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » login flies
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
login flies [message #161211] Wed, 25 November 2009 02:09 Go to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
... why are there always several unregistered guests hanging around the login forum? For my board, I don't have many actual members. I'm the guy with the email discussion group that pipes stuff into fudforum. I don't have many people actually logging in and posting. It all comes from email. Yet, all throughout the day, I have these flies that hang around the login page. If you click that "show what guests are doing" link, you always see several flies on that page.

I get paranoid thinking that someone is trying to break in. Is that paranoia or is it legit? (Um, I'm not asking for a clinical diagnosis).

One time I looked and there was about 10 or 15 on the login page and nothing else!!

Yours insane but still curous,

SW

(PS -- way to go GREEN! And I like that new header too. Very nice!)
Re: login flies [message #161215 is a reply to message #161211] Wed, 25 November 2009 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
That is exactly what's happening. Undesirables are trying password after password in an attempt to login to post spam. Luckily they're not very successful. To frustrate them further, increase your forum's "Time between login attempts" setting in the Global Settings Manager.
Re: login flies [message #161216 is a reply to message #161215] Wed, 25 November 2009 08:43 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
naudefj wrote on Wed, 25 November 2009 01:12
That is exactly what's happening. Undesirables are trying password after password in an attempt to login to post spam. Luckily they're not very successful. To frustrate them further, increase your forum's "Time between login attempts" setting in the Global Settings Manager.

Don't incorrect password attempts show up in the error log, or is that just when users use a valid log in name along with an incorrect password?

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Message body character set conversion
Next Topic: Default width of compose/reply text area?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 10:44:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03164 seconds