FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #9650] Sun, 13 April 2003 16:03 Go to next message
philip is currently offline  philip   United States
Seeing the title you must ask "Come on, anonymous voting will only encourage multiple votes!" well yeah but sometimes I don't care and for certain polls doubt people will anyways.

It's important to realize this request is to allow anonymous voting for individual polls, not all of them. There are conditions where a poll exists but the general public doesn't want to register just to vote on something yet I really want them to vote. Anonymous voting would allow one vote per session and be toggled during the creation of the poll.

I have disabled email confirmation so creating users is easy for people but still I'm running into confused users who know nothing about anything computer related let alone forums. They just want to vote, and for certain polls I want them to vote too :)
Re: Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #9656 is a reply to message #9650] Sun, 13 April 2003 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll take this under consideration Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #16262 is a reply to message #9650] Sat, 24 January 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
I am a prospective user who would also like the option of allowing anonymous voters in certain polls. I see a patch has been submitted to allow that, but phpBB seems to allow it in their actual release, if you're competing with them :-)

Re: Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #16268 is a reply to message #16262] Sat, 24 January 2004 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
PS. (Same "Anonymous" as previous post)

Looking further, phpBB does not support anonymous voting without a patch, but they have a patch available which includes simple IP tracking to make it a little bit harder to abuse.
Re: Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #16277 is a reply to message #16268] Sun, 25 January 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does not allow anon users to vote by default simply because it is not possible to reliably track them. Most users do not have a static IP, meaning that this method of tracking users is notoriously unreliable allowing most users to easily vote as many times as they want.
Using cookies does not work as well, simply because many users (At least the ones trying to abuse polls) would be smart enough to clear their cookies, thus once again allowing them to vote multiple times.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Allow anonymous voting in [some] polls [message #165398 is a reply to message #16277] Sat, 11 June 2011 09:14 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous voting will be available in FUDforum 3.0.3.
Administrators will have to grant "Can Vote" to "Anonymous" in the Groups Manager to enable it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: New Hook Request - COMPILER_BEFORE_OUTPUT
Next Topic: JQuery & Conflicts
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 07:03:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02491 seconds