FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164004] Mon, 27 December 2010 22:06 Go to next message
Kiwi is currently offline  Kiwi
Hi everyone!

My first post here ..... so far I must say I like what I see with FUDforum! Thanks for all the work everyone has put into it.

I'm keen to remove the following line of text and links:

Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Unanswered Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigato

How do I go about doing it?

Thanks in advance!

icon6.gif  Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164005 is a reply to message #164004] Mon, 27 December 2010 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
These two posts might be of help:

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=30664&&srch=Remo ving+Today%27s+Messages#msg_30664

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=163684&&srch=Rem oving+Today%27s+Messages#msg_163684

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164006 is a reply to message #164005] Tue, 28 December 2010 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the links - I'm hoping for something a little more specific. My coding experience is somewhat limited!
icon6.gif  Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164007 is a reply to message #164006] Tue, 28 December 2010 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is mine but like all things we need to start somewhere, a little here a little there and pretty soon you're coding.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2010 10:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164008 is a reply to message #164007] Tue, 28 December 2010 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Totally agree ...... I did some unsuccessful experimenting with the show.tmpl ... so I know I need to gain a better understanding of how it works!

icon6.gif  Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164009 is a reply to message #164008] Tue, 28 December 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the way I've learned so far, lots of failures but it wouldn't be fun without some challenges would it?

Personally though I would leave the links in place rather than remove them, but I understand that not everyone feels the same. The way things are going eventually FUDforum will do every thing.

Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164012 is a reply to message #164009] Tue, 28 December 2010 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
ACP -> Template Editor -> Select Template/Lang and Edit -> Expand show.tmpl -> show_links
Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164015 is a reply to message #164012] Tue, 28 December 2010 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 09:57
ACP -> Template Editor -> Select Template/Lang and Edit -> Expand show.tmpl -> show_links

Thanks for this! It almost did exactly what I hoped it would do and taught me a lot about how Fudforum works!

I cleared out the show.tmpl completely - this removed it on the forum home page, the category page and the message page.

It did not however remove it on the forum page itself.

Any further suggestions of how to remove it from there?

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2010 20:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164016 is a reply to message #164009] Tue, 28 December 2010 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 05:51
That's the way I've learned so far, lots of failures but it wouldn't be fun without some challenges would it?

Certainly wouldn't be fun! However if the learning has been done before and people are willing to share it I'm all for it.....communities I love em!

Personally though I would leave the links in place rather than remove them, but I understand that not everyone feels the same.

I normally would leave the links in however for the new forum I'm establishing I wanted them out. Its for a very small forum and needs to be as accessible as possible to people with intellectual disabilities.

The way things are going eventually FUDforum will do every thing.

This sounds most interesting! Perhaps you could tell me more (or point me to an appropriate thread or both!)
Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164020 is a reply to message #164015] Wed, 29 December 2010 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Kiwi wrote:

It did when when I was testing it...
You obviously also need to rebuild the theme after applying changes.
Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164021 is a reply to message #164020] Wed, 29 December 2010 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 21:35
Kiwi wrote:

It did when when I was testing it...
You obviously also need to rebuild the theme after applying changes.

It did when I did it as well ........... thanks for the tip! Obvious ...but not obvious for me yet! Will be from now!

Thanks!
Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164022 is a reply to message #164021] Wed, 29 December 2010 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
The template system is written in HTML. You can wrap HTML in comments. So all you had to do, as a patch job, is to add
<!-- --> around the stuff you dont wanna show - so in the show.tmpl, just wrap HTML comments around the main thingymabob and then boom, it will be hidden for users.

The proper way to remove it though, is to remove all instances of {TEMPLATE: show_links} (search and replace all files).

However, removing stuff is permanent, adding a comment, is temporary, so you can undo it at a later time.

Re: Removing line of text which says: Show: Today's Messages etc. [message #164137 is a reply to message #164022] Thu, 06 January 2011 04:37 Go to previous message
Thanks. that is useful.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Edit Forum Rules
Next Topic: "Rate Topic" results
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 06:25:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05489 seconds