FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » User Permissions (Simple how-to on defining user groups with different forum view capabilities)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
User Permissions [message #164489] Thu, 10 February 2011 17:13 Go to next message
tw_nick   United States

For the majority of my users, they have a typical set of read/write permissions to all forums. Unregistered users can only see (and can not post to) most of my forums.

I now want to create a group for users that have a very restricted view of the site. Of the 20 forums on the site, I want to give them read/write to only five, and for the remaining 15, I want to hide them all but one, giving them read-only to it.

What's the simplest method of employing this kind of functionality?

Thanks!
Re: User Permissions [message #164497 is a reply to message #164489] Sat, 12 February 2011 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This should help: Groups Manager.
Re: User Permissions [message #164523 is a reply to message #164497] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

Thanks - I checked that, but apparently I'm missing something in the process. I created a group called "Product Managers," and assigned resources to it consisting of two forums -- a new forum created specifically for Product Management to be able to read and write, and the Rules and Guidelines forum (read only). I created a test user and made him a member of the group, but when I logged in as that user, I could see and browse every forum. What am I missing?
Re: User Permissions [message #164524 is a reply to message #164523] Mon, 14 February 2011 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Not sure how to answer your question exactly, but when you created your test user he would have inherited the Global Registered Users permissions thus could do anything they could do.

If I understand correctly you don't want anyone to see the whole forum, and registrations are to be by assignment only..... is that correct?

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: User Permissions [message #164526 is a reply to message #164524] Mon, 14 February 2011 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

Correct on both counts, sir.
Re: User Permissions [message #164527 is a reply to message #164526] Mon, 14 February 2011 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Making a forum or more invisible to the regular users is easy, simply hide them with the anon and registered users mask through the permissions systems or exclude them altogether when the forum group is created in the groups manager.

Making one set of forums visible to one group while being invisible to another and visa versa is a different story which I have not been able to experiment with to my satisfaction as of yet.

If I were to attempt it I would probably: begin by setting the visible, read, post, reply permissions etc as desired for the anonymous and registered users. This can be accomplished globally through the admin control panel using the groups' manager or individually via the user-land group manager from the front page.

Then I would create two new groups through the groups' manager without inheritance permissions or the anonymous and registered users mask as per your example lets call them "Product Managers" and "Quality Assurance" At the same time I would assign them group resources as per your desire (to be honest I would create the forums they have access to as resources without the user masks as well, inheritance would be up to you.... if I understand you correctly).

Then, I would assign users to these two groups, making them group leaders, then I would refine any remaining permissions to ensure both were hidden from the other, as I desired and leaders and Moderators only had the ability to assign certain permissions to their members.

To be honest the whole concept though simple can require some real mental gymnastics when you get into the how and why cause and effect of things so at least get someone to work with you to test things out.

Depending on your circumstances and desires there are a lot more things a thoughtful person could use. For example, hiding user profiles, the use of aliases, or ID numbers if that would suit your purposes, custom profile fields (which are only visible to admin and group leaders/account managers)

Re: User Permissions [message #164539 is a reply to message #164527] Tue, 15 February 2011 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

Following your suggestion, I created two new groups: Users-Regular & Users-PM. For the "Regular" users, I gave the desired read/write/etc everywhere and made all of my "regular folks" members. For the "PM" users, I made my test user a member of the group and specified rights only for the two forums that I want them to be able to see. I used no inheritance settings at all, and my Global-Unregistered/Anonymous user group has no rights except read-only on one forum -- confirmed that works as intended. My Global-Registered user group has read-only rights everywhere -- also confirmed that this works everywhere.

When testing, for whatever reason, my test account -- again, only a member of the Users-PM group -- could see every forum and not just the ones specified for the Users-PM group.

Any thoughts?
Re: User Permissions [message #164540 is a reply to message #164539] Tue, 15 February 2011 22:23 Go to previous message
Like I said it can require "some real mental gymnastics" Use a bigger hammer! Try adding them to the regular group and remove all their permissions in those groups!

That's the long way around but should work....

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: send emails into a forum
Next Topic: create a pathinfo theme
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 20:27:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02843 seconds