FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » No notifications going out
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
No notifications going out [message #167592] Fri, 20 July 2012 22:17 Go to next message
Tikatu is currently offline  Tikatu   United States
Okay, it's the noob here again, asking what may be another dumb question. Please remember that my programming skills are very basic and you may have to spell things out to me.

We have no notifications going out. Not to new members, not to the admins, not on subscribed threads, nada.

In my global settings under e-mail I have this:

Allow E-Mail: Yes
Administrator E-mail: xxxxyyy@gmail
Notify from: (same as above)
Notify w/Body: Yes
Smart Notification: Yes
All Message Forum Notification: No
Disable Welcome E-mail: No
Disable E-mail notifications: No
Moderator Notification: Yes
E-mail Confirmation: Yes
Use STMP To send E-mail: No

There were no error logs related to email except for when I tried a fix mentioned in another thread, which was using STMP. Then I got error logs.

This one first:

ERROR: SMTP server at 127.0.0.1 is not available
Additional Problem Info: 13 -> Permission denied

Then after putting in a link from my host (for outgoing STMP server), this:

Send "To:" header - invalid SMTP return code: 550 relay not permitted

I really, really need to have notifications for new registrations because even though the forum has been "open" for just a week or so, I'm already getting spam accounts. I've set my Account Moderation to Yes, so they really can't do anything (I think), but I want to be able to nuke them as soon as I can. Can't do that without the notifications (which, btw, has also been set to "Yes").

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: No notifications going out [message #167595 is a reply to message #167592] Sat, 21 July 2012 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This is not a FUDforum problem. Please log a call with your hosting provider for assistance. They need to provide you with something similar to this:
http://www.hetzner.co.za/helpcentre/index.php/articles/content/category/ema il_authentication/i_receive_a_550_rel_460/
Re: No notifications going out [message #167597 is a reply to message #167595] Sat, 21 July 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! I went back and forth with support and they were really helpful. Now I'm finally getting the proper email notifications!
Re: No notifications going out [message #167610 is a reply to message #167597] Sat, 28 July 2012 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay. Bumping this up a bit.

I am getting the new registration notifications. What I'm not getting -- and neither is any other confirmed member -- are notifications from subscribed forums.

I changed the "All message forum notification" from No to Yes. Tested it. Got no notifications and no error messages. Any suggestions on that?

ETA: I turned off the Smart notifications, and am now getting notifications for some subscribed forums. Not all, but some. One of my co-admins isn't getting any at all, subscribed or not. (She is getting the new registration notifications, however.) Unfortunately, I can't actually open any of the forum notifications I'm getting -- which I'll admit is likely a Hotmail error. I have a post in on their forums, too.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 July 2012 02:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167865 is a reply to message #167610] Sat, 27 October 2012 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeCoyote is currently offline  LeCoyote   France
Hey there,

Have you sorted your issue? I am currently trying to understand why nobody is getting thread notifications at all, and I am quite stumped. I'd appreciate your feedback!

Cheers
--
Romain
Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167866 is a reply to message #167865] Sat, 27 October 2012 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Don't waste your time looking for a FUDforum solution. If your system can send mail you should be sorted.
Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167867 is a reply to message #167866] Sat, 27 October 2012 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the system can send mail and does, on a regular basis. FUD won't.

Short of XDebugging a local instance, where should I start investigating? I can see one particular thread in my Subscriptions AND in my Notifications tab, but never got a single mail regarding it. How come?

Edit: got my first notification from fudforum.org for this thread.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 October 2012 16:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167869 is a reply to message #167867] Sat, 27 October 2012 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All my FUDforum installations send mail perfectly, so I'm happy.

BTW, this is one of those FAQ's that people like to compain about, but it ALWAYS ALWAYS tuns out to be a non-FUDforum issue.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167870 is a reply to message #167869] Sat, 27 October 2012 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

What FAQ item are you referring to? I cannot find any reference to it.

Again, this server is sending mail correctly from PHP, so PHP/Apache are good. Also, I got the email when I created the account, so FUDForum CAN send email.

The only thing that's not working is the notification system. Therefore it must be some setting in FUDForum or some weird interaction that I don't understand. Is there some way to troubleshoot this?

Cheers
--
Romain
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167871 is a reply to message #167870] Sat, 27 October 2012 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
An FAQ type question, not an item.

Exactly, sorry FUDforum!
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167872 is a reply to message #167871] Sat, 27 October 2012 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so if it's a FAQ item, is there a Frequently Given Answer? Smile

In other words, what could cause the notification system to fail when the sending of email works? Email notifications are enabled in the user profile and in the global settings manager.
--
Romain
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167873 is a reply to message #167872] Sat, 27 October 2012 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FAQ started at Frequently_Asked_Questions.

Feel free to expand/ fix it as you work your way through the problem.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167876 is a reply to message #167873] Tue, 30 October 2012 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found it. As I suspected, it *was* FUDForum's fault, really Smile The key setting here is "Smart notifications": when disabled, notifications are sent as expected.

Which leads me to wonder about the "smart" notifications: how does FUDForum "decide" whether a notification is read, so that it can send the next one? Is it when the user accesses the Profile/Notifications page or is there some other rule?

Cheers
--
Romain
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167884 is a reply to message #167876] Wed, 31 October 2012 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
See Global Settings Manager:

Quote:
Smart Notification

Enable 'smart' e-mail notification mechanism that would only notify users if they read previous notification. This prevents filling up of the user's mailbox with notifications if they are not reading them.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #167887 is a reply to message #167884] Wed, 31 October 2012 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there,

That does not answer my question: when is a particular notification considered as "read"? Does it take a simple login? a visit to the notification area? something else?
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #168018 is a reply to message #167887] Thu, 13 December 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeCoyote is currently offline  LeCoyote   
Hi!

Is it possible to get a follow-up on that? In other words, when does FUDForum consider a notification is read?

Thanks!
--
Romain
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: No notifications going out [message #168041 is a reply to message #168018] Fri, 28 December 2012 14:31 Go to previous message
Good Smile

We still don't know what a read notification is, so the "Smart" notifications remains a mystery Razz
--
Romain
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: IP address links do not work
Next Topic: "Follow" Twitter button ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 08:13:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02502 seconds