FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Trouble getting and staying logged in
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Trouble getting and staying logged in [message #19358] Tue, 13 July 2004 19:49 Go to next message
WilliamBurns is currently offline  WilliamBurns   United States
A few forum members have complained about the difficulty of logging in. While I assume they are doing something wrong, I thought I should ask if others complain, or if there is something that I should be telling them to do when they complain. For example, here is what a forum member sent me this morning:

"Well this is the problem, for instance. I finally do get logged in, (it took 6 times just now, typing the same Log-in/password) and when I click the reply button for a note, I get logged out! With the "Insufficient Privileges" in RED and the screen to login pops up."

This fellow is one of the busiest and a long-time poster. Any thoughts?
Re: Trouble getting and staying logged in [message #19367 is a reply to message #19358] Wed, 14 July 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What forum version are you using?
What browser is the user using (did they try different browsers)?
Is the user's account verified and do they have group permissions to access any forums?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Trouble getting and staying logged in [message #19377 is a reply to message #19358] Wed, 14 July 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
This sounds to me like the user is either not accepting cookies, or you have the timeout set way too low in the Admin CP.
Re: Trouble getting and staying logged in [message #19383 is a reply to message #19367] Wed, 14 July 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WilliamBurns is currently offline  WilliamBurns   United States
I upgraded from 2.6.1 to 2.6.4 a couple of weeks ago. The user is using Windows, so I think he is using MSIE. He didn't specify the browser (I will ask him), but he has not tried different browsers. Also, he has hundreds of posts. I don't think he has had this trouble all along. He contacted me again today with the following:

Yet another "clue" when I type in my log-in and password correctly, it does not log me in, and returns me to the log-in screen. If I type it is wrong intentionally, it brings me to the red INVALID LOG IN AND/PASSWORD

Been kinda difficult today, took 7 tries to get on, and then when I hit a reply button to reply to a posting, logs me out!

The user's account is the same as all the other users accounts, at least as far as I can tell.

I will also ask him about cookies.

I checked in the settings and I see that my forum has a session timeout of 1800. There are no units discussed, so is that 1.8 seconds?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 16:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trouble getting and staying logged in [message #19385 is a reply to message #19383] Wed, 14 July 2004 17:55 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
session timeout is in seconds.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Lost backups
Next Topic: Multiple Forums/Different Templates
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 29 07:47:04 GMT 2024