FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » FUDforum for a big board - some thoughts...
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum for a big board - some thoughts... [message #23514] Sat, 19 March 2005 01:03 Go to next message
s03nk3   Germany
I'm currently doing a review of FUDforum's sources to check out if it is usable for a larger forum (100k registered users, 2M posts, 1k users online/15min session).

The first drawback for us is the fact that FUDforum places its messages in the filesystem rather inside the database.
I know that this issue has been discussed many times before, but it is considered a major drawback as things like database replication/clustering won't work (no need currently, but we're growing).
The FUDforum developers often pointed out that this can be changed easily, but a quick search through the CVS sources showed 21 files (30 when also counting the conversion scripts) which make use of the files.

The second problem is the code itself.
Passages like if ($obj->avatar_loc && $a & 8388608 && $b & 8192 && $o1 & 28 && !($c & 2)) { show it: The code is partially hard to understand and to manage.

The third issue is the lack of a thorough code review/security audit due to a small base of installed forums.

The fourth point is the absense of experiences of FUDforum's usability on a big forum. No one really knows how it actually performs when hundreds of users or even a thousand users are hitting the server.
Some simple dry tests (analyzing SQL queries, tracing memory usage, ...) showed that it FUDforum should be able to compete with vBulletin and phpBB2.xCVS, but real world examples are missing.

The result is that I'm really torn: On the one hand I really like FUDforum and admire the developer's work, on the other hand I'm not sure if FUDforum could be the right choice for my needs.

Maybe somebody can enlighten one or more poits...

P.S.: Thx, Ilia - you're doing a great work.
Re: FUDforum for a big board - some thoughts... [message #23521 is a reply to message #23514] Sat, 19 March 2005 21:40 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can easily cluster message storage by using things like tmpfs, nfs (store messages on a remote) box etc...

Bitwise operations are really not that hard and all the values are documented inside .sql files.

FUDforum has been audited many times for security, fortunately no issues have been discovered in the process. Just because unlike phpBB2 where a new security fault is found every week does not mean that no one is checking the code for them.

There are plenty of large installs of FUDforum on the web, just search for "powered by fudforum". You would also discovered that there are literaly hundreds of thousands fudforum installations on the net.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Stick topics
Next Topic: Incremental Backup
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 22:34:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01959 seconds