FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Hide all forums unless user is logged in?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #23743] Mon, 28 March 2005 01:10 Go to next message
jmccombs is currently offline  jmccombs   United States
Ok, so maybe I'm just dense..

I've got anonymous access marked as 'N' down the line, yet when someone first hits the page, they can still read messages, even though they aren't logged in?

Is there any way to force a user to login before they can see the forums/categories?

Do pyromaniacs wear blazers?
Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #23746 is a reply to message #23743] Mon, 28 March 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you use the admin group manager or the user-land one?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #23747 is a reply to message #23746] Mon, 28 March 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmccombs is currently offline  jmccombs   United States
I've tried doing it in both.

If by 'user-land' you mean the one linked on the forum-display.

I have, in user-land "Anonymous" marked as 'No' across the board.

In the administration panel, I have 'Global Anonymous Access' marked as 'No' down the line..

Is there something else I need to do to force a login before users can read the threads? I thought it might be a cookie or IP or stale session or something that was allowing me to do view the forums, so I've attempted this from a different PC (yes, different external IP than the one I originally used) and still get the same results.

I can't figure it out. Sad

Do pyromaniacs wear blazers?

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2005 04:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #23753 is a reply to message #23747] Mon, 28 March 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to set read/view permissions to NO for all forums then the user will not have any forums visible when browsing as anonymous.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163500 is a reply to message #23753] Wed, 03 November 2010 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

Ok...so now that I've set up my forum site with two dozen forum topics under six or so categories, I realize that an anonymous user (not logged in) can view all of the content of the site. I want to make it so that an unregistered/unauthenticated (i.e., "anonymous coward") can only see the General category and the forum within it where I post rules and acceptable use policies. Am I going to have to edit every single forum now to prevent anonymous access?

I would have expected the default setting to be such that anonymous browsing of the entire site would be disabled by default. Did I set something incorrectly at a global level?
Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163513 is a reply to message #163500] Thu, 04 November 2010 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Yes, you have to edit every single forum to prevent anonymous access since you didnt set it upon creating either manually or by inheritance. The default value is and always will be, that everyone can see the forum since that is what a made up statistic of 99.6% forums are used for.

Anonymous browsing is enabled by default, always has been, always will be. Forcing members to register to use any of your site is a good way to scare them away.

Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163519 is a reply to message #163513] Thu, 04 November 2010 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   

I agree with your last statement, but the exception in our case is that the site is hosted and being utilized as an knowledge base for a group of engineers. They are "required" to participate, but we are obligated to keep the content of the site protected from view for the proprietary content of the threads.

Interestingly enough, I discovered while making all of the manual changes that the forums that were deleted and still being held in the "trash bin" were all listed in the user-land management area with default permissions set. I know it is moving a bit off-topic for this thread, but is that known/intentional? FYI, this was discovered before upgrading to 3.0.2, so it may have been a 3.0.1 "issue" only.
Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163533 is a reply to message #163519] Fri, 05 November 2010 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deleted forums gets moved into "trash" so you can restore them later - you can of course permanently delete them if you wish. You can alter permissions for anonymous (and registered) users with the group manager from the front end for each forum created - for example set the visibility. You can also in the group backend manager create groups and choose which forums the group has special access to.

Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163534 is a reply to message #163533] Fri, 05 November 2010 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So:
The administrator uses the backend group manager to create special usergroups and assigns which forums the usergroup has special access/controls over. He can also assign group leaders.

The group leaders can from the frontend add users to the group the administrator created. This way you can assign for example Professor Dumbledore to be the leader of the Hogwarts group that controls access to train rail 9 3/4 and qiddish arena.

In the front end groups manager, you can access the forum train rail 9 3/4 and set its visibility to hidden for mugglers (anonymous) and non students (registered).

Slightly annoying if you created 100 forums with default settings to visible etc, but once you have it setup, it works like magic!

Re: Hide all forums unless user is logged in? [message #163544 is a reply to message #163519] Fri, 05 November 2010 20:42 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
twnick wrote:
I discovered while making all of the manual changes that the forums that were deleted and still being held in the "trash bin" were all listed in the user-land management area with default permissions set. I know it is moving a bit off-topic for this thread, but is that known/intentional?

It's a bug. This should fix it:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5065&view=rev
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Forced Forum Subscriptions
Next Topic: Moderating just flagged users
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 12:07:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02463 seconds