FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Text insertion browser bug
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Text insertion browser bug [message #14729] Wed, 19 November 2003 19:25 Go to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Anyone else see this from a browser like Mozilla, Netscape 7, or other?

When typing in a new post (I'm using Mozilla Firebird 0.7), if I position the cursor anywhere in the text, then click on the Size, Color, or Font dropdown menus with the intent to insert those FUDcodes at the desired cursor location, it ALWAYS inserts at the very bottom of what I'm typing instead of where the cursor is.

Works fine in IE 6 (but I don't *want* to use IE).

Its probably a browser bug in Firebird 0.7 itself, but I'd like to know if any other browsers have this problem as well.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #14732 is a reply to message #14729] Wed, 19 November 2003 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hy2jinxnc is currently offline  hy2jinxnc   United States

Yes, I have seen this as well using Mozilla and Firebird. I figured it was just one of those java scripts that only works "right" with IE (for whatever reason). I usually wind up letting it insert the code, then highlight and drag where I want it to go.
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #14733 is a reply to message #14729] Wed, 19 November 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually the situation is like this. IE supports JavaScript functionality that allow FUDforum to get the current cursor position and even selected text.

In 2.6.0RC6 I've addewd a hack for Mozilla that allows it to put tags around selected text and I will try to get it to position the tags at the cursor as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #14737 is a reply to message #14733] Wed, 19 November 2003 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great! Please attach your lib.js when you're done, so I can update my v2.3.5 board.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15038 is a reply to message #14737] Sat, 29 November 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see that RC8 says Mozilla insert bug fixed. And it does work on this forum (using Firebird 0.7). I've tried replacing my FUDForum v2.3.5 lib.js with the one from RC8 (after backing up mine first of course), but then no insertTag things work at all when I use Firebird 0.7.

When I compare the two lib.js files, I see the new insertTagMoz function and the changed insertTag function seem to have the main changes. OPERA variable changed, and 2 new functions at the bottom
(fud_msg_focus and fnLoadPngs).

I have no idea why I can't just replace my lib.js with the one from RC8. I even View Source on my board and compared it with yours, but I don't see any Javascript changes that explain why mine is not working with the new lib.js file.

I've restored the original lib.js file on my board at the moment.

Any ideas?

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15039 is a reply to message #15038] Sat, 29 November 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Simple, you need to modify post.tmpl & ppost.tmpl and add id="txtb" to the <textarea> tag.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15043 is a reply to message #15039] Sun, 30 November 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you! It works great now!

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15495 is a reply to message #15039] Wed, 17 December 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is still a slight problem when using Firebird 0.7 (Mozilla) when posting or replying:

In a long post/reply, if I highlight a section of text, then, for example, pick a color from the dropdown, suddenly the cursor is moved to the very top of the post/reply, and I have to Page Down again to where I was typing. The actual FUDcode elements are inserted at the correct places, its just the cursor jump to top of page that is annoying.

This occurs even on this forum.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15498 is a reply to message #15495] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
I am using RC10. It seems that Safari 1.1.1 (on the Mac) has a similar problem. When I click on a button, I get everything already in the textbox repeated, with the tag before it. So, for instance, if I type, "Hello" and hit the Italics button, I get:

Hello{I}{\I}Hello

(I changed the square brackets to braces, so you can see what I mean).

I believe that Safari is based on Konqueror. Its navigator.userAgent is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/103u (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/100.1
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15499 is a reply to message #15498] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting, I don't see that dulication behavior using Firebird 0.7. The only thing I was annoyed at was the cursor jump to top of the textarea box. The FUDcode tags are inserted in the correct places for me.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15505 is a reply to message #15495] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I have not experienced the cursor moving bug in Mozilla Firebird 0.7, but let me assure you that FUDforum does not try to move the cursor. So, if it does happen it is a browser bug.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15506 is a reply to message #15498] Wed, 17 December 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, Safari uses a Konqueror 3.2 engine, which I'll install later today and try. It appears that Safari/Konqueror may have a bug and I'll need to add a JS work around for them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15512 is a reply to message #15498] Wed, 17 December 2003 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've confirmed the Safari bug and a work-around has been implemented in the CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15521 is a reply to message #15505] Wed, 17 December 2003 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 10:51

I have not experienced the cursor moving bug in Mozilla Firebird 0.7, but let me assure you that FUDforum does not try to move the cursor. So, if it does happen it is a browser bug.

Very strange, because I see the page jump problem here on this board, and I'm using Firebird 0.7 under Win2k. Its not actually the cursor that jumps, its just that its like the Page Up key has been pressed until the very top of the text is shown.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #15527 is a reply to message #15521] Wed, 17 December 2003 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It could be a Win32 Mozilla bug, since I don't see on *nix.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30072 is a reply to message #15512] Wed, 01 February 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KVentz is currently offline  KVentz   Russian Federation
Ilia писал(а) Срд, 17 Декабря 2003 19:59

I've confirmed the Safari bug and a work-around has been implemented in the CVS.

Well, problem still exists. There is a tag placing bug in all scripts like this (in phpbb and even in Apple forum too!). Only Wikipedia script works correctly... I don't know how they made it, but it works! Can you do it same way?
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30074 is a reply to message #30072] Wed, 01 February 2006 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I use firefox 1.5 and I don't see this problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30077 is a reply to message #30074] Wed, 01 February 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia писал(а) Срд, 01 Февраля 2006 20:10

I use firefox 1.5 and I don't see this problem.

I mean Safari. Safari is not a Firefox...
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30468 is a reply to message #30077] Mon, 27 February 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Could you figure out why it is not working there? I don't have a ready access to a mac system and no way of replicating the problem described.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30485 is a reply to message #30468] Mon, 27 February 2006 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia писал(а) Пнд, 27 Февраля 2006 17:18

Could you figure out why it is not working there? I don't have a ready access to a mac system and no way of replicating the problem described.

When I press any button on a button panel to add a tag it appears at the end of message. Always. And never near the cursor. Any text selections also ignored - tags are inserted only at the end of message. Almost all forums have this bug, only Wikipedia editor works correctly. And I really don't know why it happens...
Re: Text insertion browser bug [message #30499 is a reply to message #30485] Tue, 28 February 2006 14:26 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, I literaly would need a patch since I have no way of testing or even seeing the problem, since I don't have an access to the mac.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Topic Rating - Ignore when no rating was selected
Next Topic: Error message when Mass Emailing a Forum user group
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 03:13:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07680 seconds