FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » A few suggestions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
A few suggestions [message #33709] Fri, 15 September 2006 22:30 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
  1. I noticed that the information about the last visit displayed on the index page gets updated on every reload of the index page. I think it should display the time when I finished my last visit.
  2. When a login attempt to the Admin Control Panel fails a corresping log entry in the Action log viewer is created. I think this log entry should contain the used login details. And I think that the message "User is no longer in system" is a bit confusing if the message was caused by an anon user.
Re: A few suggestions [message #33739 is a reply to message #33709] Mon, 18 September 2006 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 18:30

[list type=1]
[*] I noticed that the information about the last visit displayed on the index page gets updated on every reload of the index page. I think it should display the time when I finished my last visit.

Intentional, there is no way to tell what was your "last" visit. I suppose code can be hacked to use some sort of pre-set time differential, Ex 2-3 hours.

Quote:

[*] When a login attempt to the Admin Control Panel fails a corresping log entry in the Action log viewer is created. I think this log entry should contain the used login details. And I think that the message "User is no longer in system" is a bit confusing if the message was caused by an anon user.

I've added tracking of entered login/password. The other change would be tricky as it would require a special hack specifically for failed logins.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33743 is a reply to message #33739] Mon, 18 September 2006 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 18:45

Intentional, there is no way to tell what was your "last" visit. I suppose code can be hacked to use some sort of pre-set time differential, Ex 2-3 hours.

I think that my session will be extended on every action I take in the forum? In this case you could say that my last vistit was when my session expired and the forum had to re-login me.

Quote:

I've added tracking of entered login/password. The other change would be tricky as it would require a special hack specifically for failed logins.

Wouldn't it be enough to check whether the user id is 0? In this case you can show "Unknown user" or something like that. According to my observations former members have got an id that is not 0.
Re: A few suggestions [message #33746 is a reply to message #33743] Mon, 18 September 2006 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 13:12

Ilia wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 18:45

I think that my session will be extended on every action I take in the forum? In this case you could say that my last vistit was when my session expired and the forum had to re-login me.

The shown time is of "last visit" not last login. And login in FUDforum can last for month or even years given long term cookie age settings.

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't it be enough to check whether the user id is 0? In this case you can show "Unknown user" or something like that. According to my observations former members have got an id that is not 0.

There is also account removal to consider.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33749 is a reply to message #33746] Mon, 18 September 2006 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 19:25

The shown time is of "last visit" not last login. And login in FUDforum can last for month or even years given long term cookie age settings.

Well, I thought the procedure could be like this:
  • The user visits the user.
  • The forum checks the session of the forum.
    • User is still in the same session as he was on the request before and no cookie has to be used: In this case the "last visit" will not be updated.
    • The forum has to create a new session for the user or the forum has to use the cookie: In this case the "last visit" is either the time of the end of the last session or (if this can't be determined) the time of the last action of the user.

Ilia

JanRei

There is also account removal to consider.

I did consider account removal. When the admin deletes an user this doesn't affect the action list. I still think that checking the user_id field in the fud26_action_log table is the easiest way.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 September 2006 19:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A few suggestions [message #33755 is a reply to message #33749] Tue, 19 September 2006 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum creates a new session for the user only upon login, which once again means you are changing last visit into last login (something already tracked via another field in the users table).

As far as the action_log user_id field, that would only be populated for logged-in users already having an id field.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33760 is a reply to message #33755] Tue, 19 September 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Can't you change the query on creation of the action log, so the user_id will be checked every time?
Re: A few suggestions [message #33789 is a reply to message #33760] Thu, 21 September 2006 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no user id when someone is trying to login...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33801 is a reply to message #33709] Fri, 22 September 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Exactly, this is why I am suggesting to show "Unknown user" (or something similiar) instead of "User is no longer in the system" if you don't know who triggered the log entry.
Re: A few suggestions [message #33839 is a reply to message #33709] Sat, 23 September 2006 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Apparently you don't want to change this, but I can't see why...
I have attached a small change to the admlog.php that does what I have suggested. What speaks against it?
  • Attachment: admlog.php
    (Size: 5.53KB, Downloaded 1023 times)
Re: A few suggestions [message #33846 is a reply to message #33839] Sat, 23 September 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've adjusted the error via this patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11607

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33865 is a reply to message #33709] Sun, 24 September 2006 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
This change is even better. Smile

I have found another small problem with the action log: when the admin deletes an user, the login of the admin is shown in the column "Object". Wouldn't it be better to show the login of the user who got deleted?
Re: A few suggestions [message #33869 is a reply to message #33865] Sun, 24 September 2006 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The login of the deleted user is in the "action" the login of the admin it shown to indicate who performed the account deletion.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33871 is a reply to message #33709] Sun, 24 September 2006 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I just deleted an user with the login "test". The entry in the action log looks like this:

User	                Action	                Object	Time (GMT)
JanRei [Administrator]	Removed user account	JanRei	Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:39:36

Where is the login of the deleted user?
Re: A few suggestions [message #33882 is a reply to message #33871] Sun, 24 September 2006 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11610

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #33980 is a reply to message #33709] Sat, 30 September 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Great, I just go on with suggestions.

I think it would be nice to show the rss icon in the browser's adress bar.
Re: A few suggestions [message #33983 is a reply to message #33980] Sat, 30 September 2006 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The question in this case what to show? I suppose on topic view that's easy, just show messages in that forum, but what about the forum's front page or the topic list view.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34009 is a reply to message #33709] Sun, 01 October 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I think on the front page we can show a link for all messages on the forum, on the topic list a link for messages in this form. We could even show a link for new members on the members list.
In case we can't decide there is also the possibility to add multiple links for one page.
Re: A few suggestions [message #34015 is a reply to message #34009] Sun, 01 October 2006 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All the messages on the forum? Do you realize how impractical (slow, large), not to mention useless that RSS feed would be.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34023 is a reply to message #33709] Sun, 01 October 2006 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I think the already existing RSS link at the bottom of the front page does the same, doesn't it?
And currently I don't know an alternative.
Re: A few suggestions [message #34026 is a reply to message #34023] Sun, 01 October 2006 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That RSS feed gets the most recent messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34028 is a reply to message #34026] Sun, 01 October 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
OK, we didn't understand each other. I meant a RSS feed that is not limited to one forum or something like this, which applies to the link shown on the front page.
Re: A few suggestions [message #34051 is a reply to message #34028] Mon, 02 October 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
RSS reference links were introduced to the pages that contains RSS links.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34070 is a reply to message #33709] Tue, 03 October 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I hadn't time to try it yet, but that's really great.
What do you think about adding this also to the members list?
Re: A few suggestions [message #34071 is a reply to message #34070] Tue, 03 October 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't see a compelling reason for syndicating the forum's user list.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34072 is a reply to message #33709] Tue, 03 October 2006 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I thought that the 'u' rss mode does something similiar as the members list, but after re-reading the help I am not sure anymore.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 October 2006 20:23]

Re: A few suggestions [message #34114 is a reply to message #33709] Fri, 06 October 2006 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have one more suggestion:
How would it be to specify the previous and next page via link rel="prev" and link rel="next"?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 October 2006 14:38]

Re: A few suggestions [message #34116 is a reply to message #34114] Fri, 06 October 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you explain better, I am not entirely certain what you mean.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34122 is a reply to message #33709] Fri, 06 October 2006 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
As far as I know it is possible to specify the next and the previous page for a page in the html header.
I think this could be used for topic view or topic listing (and maybe also other pages), the advantage of this should be that you can use Opera's mouse gestures for going to next/previous page.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 October 2006 15:08]

Re: A few suggestions [message #34124 is a reply to message #34122] Fri, 06 October 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you know of other browsers support it? It seems silly to add a feature for a browser with miniscule market share while at the same time making everyone download extra text they don't really need.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few suggestions [message #34254 is a reply to message #33709] Mon, 16 October 2006 12:31 Go to previous message
Translator
No, I don't know any other browser that support. And I have to agree with you, if Opera is the only browser supporting it, it's better keep it as it is.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Last message in longer threads "squished"
Next Topic: PHP5
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 20:03:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03428 seconds