FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » FUDforum and valid HTML
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33527] Tue, 05 September 2006 22:01 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
Short time ago I tested the html code produced by FUDforum whether it is valid html. I found out that this not always the case. Are you planning to change it?

For example the index page uses unknown attributes p and c, doesn't uses an alt attribute for the xml image, and has got one </td> (atfter <td class="CatDesc"></td>) too much.
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33531 is a reply to message #33527] Wed, 06 September 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The extra td problem is fixed, as far as alt tags, I'd need to look into it. As far as custom attributes those are needed for JavaScript we use and there are no plans to remove it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33568 is a reply to message #33527] Thu, 07 September 2006 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Further validator results:

• login page: a </span> has to be replaced by </font>
  • Today's messages, Unanswered messages (for anon users): <th align=middle> has to use "LEFT", "CENTER", "RIGHT", "JUSTIFY" or "CHAR" for the attribute align
  • Help files:"&" should be encoded to &amp;
  • error messages (e.g. ERROR: ...): many problems (I didn't figure out the details)

[Updated on: Fri, 08 September 2006 14:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33582 is a reply to message #33568] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
<span> has to be replace by font? Since when, the font tag it deprecated as far as I know.

The selmsg bug was fixed in CVS.

The & in help were converted to &amp; in all translations.

Thanks.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33595 is a reply to message #33582] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 17:19

<span> has to be replace by font? Since when, the font tag it deprecated as far as I know.

Sorry, this a compatibility problem between the German translation and the template where it is used. The template assumes that the translation opened a <span> tag and closes it. But in this case the German translation opens a <font> tag.
The same goes to some errors I found on the "ERROR: ..." pages.
I will convert the <font> tags in the translation for FUDforum 2.7.6.

The only left problem that is really a problem of the template is on the "ERROR: " pages: document type does not allow element "FIELDSET" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME" start-tag
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33596 is a reply to message #33595] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you give me an example of the ERROR page problem you are referring it, it'd be a great reference point for me to start looking at the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33598 is a reply to message #33596] Fri, 08 September 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I just tested the page with a HTML validator that returns the message that the <fieldset> tag can't be used at this place.

Quote:

ERROR Line 17 column 67: document type does not allow element "FIELDSET" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME" start-tag.
...pan=3><span class="GenText"><fieldset><legend>ERROR: Insufficient Privileges<
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33611 is a reply to message #33527] Sun, 10 September 2006 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have seen that there are multiple HTML problems within the Admin Control Panel. I can make patch so it nearly meets the standard. But as this implies a quite large number of changes I think you want to address this in the next version (2.7.7)?

[Updated on: Sun, 10 September 2006 17:01]

Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33626 is a reply to message #33611] Mon, 11 September 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 12:22

I have seen that there are multiple HTML problems within the Admin Control Panel. I can make patch so it nearly meets the standard. But as this implies a quite large number of changes I think you want to address this in the next version (2.7.7)?

I suppose, let me know when you have said patch available.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33627 is a reply to message #33598] Mon, 11 September 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JanRei wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 12:15

I just tested the page with a HTML validator that returns the message that the <fieldset> tag can't be used at this place.

Quote:

ERROR Line 17 column 67: document type does not allow element "FIELDSET" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME" start-tag.
...pan=3><span class="GenText"><fieldset><legend>ERROR: Insufficient Privileges<

What validator are you using? I've tried using the w3c one and it had no complaints about the FIELDSET tag.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33634 is a reply to message #33627] Mon, 11 September 2006 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 15:48

JanRei wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 12:15

Quote:

What validator are you using? I've tried using the w3c one and it had no complaints about the FIELDSET tag.

I am also using the validator from w3c. It's strange that you don't get a error message. Did you test the whole HTML page or only the fieldset tag?
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33637 is a reply to message #33634] Mon, 11 September 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tried the complete page of this forum as well as a freshly installed FUDforum on our development server.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33641 is a reply to message #33527] Mon, 11 September 2006 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
No matter if I try my development forum or this one, I get the error about fieldset.

To make shure we are talking about the same page, I attached a screenshot.
  • Attachment: ERROR.jpg
    (Size: 25.26KB, Downloaded 1108 times)
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33644 is a reply to message #33641] Mon, 11 September 2006 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Aha I see... I was checking the wrong page.

The fix is in the CVS now.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33682 is a reply to message #33527] Wed, 13 September 2006 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Great. Smile

I attached new help files that fix some HTML mistakes.
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #33694 is a reply to message #33682] Thu, 14 September 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Changes applied, thanks.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35331 is a reply to message #33527] Fri, 29 December 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have attached a patch with suggestions for making the Admin Control Panel more w3c compliant.
Sorry that it took so long, but is was not as easy as I thought. I have found some problems in the Admin Control Panel that I can't fix because of limited knowledge...

I have nearly changed all files in adm folder, I couldn't check admspell.php because the option is not available in my installation.

My changes:
  1. I have tried to do some kind of hack to make the phpinfo page looking better. In order to achieve this I have removed the style information from phpinfo and put some of it in adm.css. This is not optimal solution I think, it also makes all images in Admin Control Panel to be right aligned. Maybe you have a better idea?
  2. I added alt descriptions to images because validator wants to have them.
  3. Where new white pages are displayed in some situations I added code so that the output is valid html, which makes the code look more complex. I also added page title and doctype to the Control Panel.
  4. Validator wanted that <table></table> is within <form></form>. The according changes led to a noticable layout change in admuser.php, which I couldn't fix.

Some things that attracted my attention, but I couldn't fix:
  1. On some pages errors are display simply be executing echo 'error message'. This makes the whole page being invalid html. I couldn't find out how to make better output of error messages.
  2. tmpllist.php produces a strange sorting sometimes. When I expand a template it is put at the beginning of the list, so far it is OK. However, when I expand more templates suddenly all expanded templates are put to the end of the list. Why this?
  3. In admnntp.php there is a empty <select></select> in case there are no forums that can be used for the mailing list. I would suggest to give out a error message here instead.
  4. There is a MySQL query error in case I want to add a avatar without a description:
    (C:\xampp\htdocs\FUDforum\include\theme\default\db.inc:72
    C:\xampp\htdocs\forum\adm\admavatar.php:129
    ) 1048: Column 'descr' cannot be null
    Query: INSERT INTO fud26_avatar (img, descr, gallery) VALUES ('water.jpg', NULL, 'default')
    _POST: array ( 'S' => 'a95ffac3efb349f502d4d79ec39979c5', 'SQ' => '7dee05e7f1bf24209729cc6907545c8d', 'gallery_path' => '', 'tmp_f_val' => '1', 'avt_descr' => '', 'avt_gal_m' => '', 'avt_img' => 'water.jpg', 'btn_submit' => 'Add Avatar', 'edit' => '', )
    Server Version: 5.0.21-community-nt
    [Referring Page] http://localhost/forum/adm/admavatar.php
  • Attachment: acp.zip
    (Size: 22.06KB, Downloaded 1009 times)
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35356 is a reply to message #35331] Mon, 01 January 2007 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks, I've tweaked the patch to handle additional issues but overall it was quite helpful.

As far as the query error I can't seem to replicate it. There is a check in the code for instances where $name is empty.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35365 is a reply to message #33527] Tue, 02 January 2007 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I can reproduce the query error by going to the Avatar Manager, putting the path to an image in the "Avatar Upload" field and clicking on "Add Avatar".
And I found another query error on MIME Management System. To reproduce it simply click on "Add MIME" (don't fill out any field).

And what's about the other things I have mentioned. Can you reproduce them or are they intended behaviour?
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35374 is a reply to message #35365] Wed, 03 January 2007 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, I spotted the query error on a the two forms, it seems database agnostic. The fix is now in the CVS.

As far as other issues:

1) Intentional
2) The list is in the order forum found the files on disk.
3) I don't think it is an issue
4) In what browser, seems ok in Safari.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35381 is a reply to message #33527] Thu, 04 January 2007 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
1) But why not displaying the error messages HTML compliant?
2) Yes. But when you click on a [+], this item gets on the top. Click on one more [+] and the first opened item is at the bottom.
3) It is not HTML compliant and I think an error message would be nice so that the user knows why he can't select a forum.
4) You have just fixed it. Wink But I have found an additionally query error on admnntp.php: simply click on "Add Newsgroup Rule".
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35384 is a reply to message #35381] Fri, 05 January 2007 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1 & 3) I don't see those as issues, adding extra code to pass HTML compliancy test does not make it any more functional.

The query error is now fixed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35431 is a reply to message #33527] Wed, 10 January 2007 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I agree that it doesn't add functionality, but I think it makes a better impression to users of the FUDforum if it produces more or less valid HTML.

As far for 3) you have tried to fix the same issue on another page with commit 11708. But I think this doesn't look very good, because you now always have a empty option. I also think admmlist.php and admnntp.php should behave the same.

Oh, and I found a mistake in my patch, I have a attached a patch that fixes this.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2007 21:14]

Re: FUDforum and valid HTML [message #35442 is a reply to message #35431] Fri, 12 January 2007 02:14 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The patch was added thanks. I've also added the dummy option to the mailing list control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDForum hard to install
Next Topic: fud_delete_user() produces SQL error?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 06:50:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02980 seconds