FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » More safe_mode woes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
More safe_mode woes [message #3436] Sun, 23 June 2002 06:37 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Hi there!

I quite recently upgraded my 1.2.8 forum to 2.0.2. When I try to post something I get this error: "Warning: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 99 is not allowed to access /www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum owned by uid 2273 in /www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum/post.php on line 3948".

I'm starting to get really pissed off with safe_mode, but since it isn't my server I have to cope. What should and can I do about this?
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3437 is a reply to message #3436] Sun, 23 June 2002 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
get your admin to chown the /www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum directory to the webserver account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3438 is a reply to message #3437] Sun, 23 June 2002 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sun, 23 June 2002 10:28

get your admin to chown the /www/int2000/a/7676/html/forum directory to the webserver account.

Is there any way to do this without involving the admin? A php script perhaps? I should be able to accomplish this with a simple exec, shouldn't I?
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3440 is a reply to message #3438] Sun, 23 June 2002 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi Basse,
I feel with u, because I suffer from the same braindead configuration on the rokop-security server. The following worked for me: Make a mirror of ur current forum on ur local server (I assume u got one running in ur home network or on localhost if its just one machine) Next run the upgrade, shouldn't make problems unless u would mess up something with rights and owners)
Now Fud should be running on ur local copy. Next would be: delete the symbolic links and replace them with php files which perform a include as a substitute:
<?php include_once "/home/httpd/ur-web-account/ur-hidden-dir/include/GLOBALS.php"; ?>

In other words: the include points to the real GLOBALS.php with an absolute UNIX path. In case this path is unknown to u u can reveal it by running phpinfo(). Save this code as GLOBALS.php and use it the same way u did with the symbolic links. Now u are able to upload the stuff to ur server. U probably need to change the files' rights so the server can modify them. Then u only need to update ur database (don't use phpadmin for it, as it will break if the process exceeds 30 secs):
$telnet urserver
[user,password]
$ mysql database -u uraccount -p < urdump.sql

After that it should run.
Bye
Ken
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3441 is a reply to message #3440] Sun, 23 June 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This works well if you have shell access, which is a luxury I haven't got. So, I need a installation & upgrade process that can manage safe_mode. Prottoss seems to be quite good at writing code that bypasses safe_mode, but something went wrong this time.
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3442 is a reply to message #3441] Sun, 23 June 2002 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Well. But this has nothing to do with the code in itself but the crappy phpmyadmin which can't handle datadumps that are greater then 600-800k (it spins circles forever causing httpd to eat up all available CPU time). The shell command is a way of bypassing this restriction by talking directly to the sqlserver. But I have a script which u could try. I'll send it to u as PM with a short description of what it does
bye Ken
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3443 is a reply to message #3436] Sun, 23 June 2002 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The situation was even more interesting than I thought. When I try to post something I get the same error message as before (see earlier message in same thread), but the text gets posted anyway. What the heck is going on?
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3445 is a reply to message #3438] Sun, 23 June 2002 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot chown a directory to the www user/group since you account is not in that group.
The alternative is to move the directory esle where, then create a directory with the same name using a php script, with 777 permissions, and then copy your files into that directory using a php script.

Admitedly that is a pain in the ass, but unfortunatly for people upgrading from old versions on systems with safe_mode enabled that is about the only solution.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3839 is a reply to message #3436] Sun, 07 July 2002 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today I tried to upgrade to version 2.2.0 but failed, again because of safe_mode. I placed the upgrade script in my forum's root and ran it, and got an error that explained that due to safe_mode mode the script cannot access GLOBALS.php. What to do? Shoot the ISP staff that turned on safe_mode? Or is there some kind of workaround?
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3841 is a reply to message #3839] Sun, 07 July 2002 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to upload the upgrade script using the forum's file manager, after that it should work fine.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3844 is a reply to message #3841] Sun, 07 July 2002 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But I cannot access the forums root directory with the file manager. When I try I get an "Access denied". (That particular error message is horrible misspelt, by the way...).
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3850 is a reply to message #3844] Sun, 07 July 2002 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
james is currently offline  james   United States
basse - I am having the exact same problems as you. EXACT I'm going to watch this thread, and I'll post in additional information if I come up with any.
Re: More safe_mode woes [message #3869 is a reply to message #3436] Mon, 08 July 2002 13:23 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try the attached upgrade script, it should fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Cannot access Admin Control Panel anymore
Next Topic: approving messages: query failed
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 09:23:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02756 seconds