FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40246] Mon, 28 January 2008 19:14 Go to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
Ok ran update script from 2.6.10RC3 to 2.7.7, everything seemed to run fine and completed.

Now however after a few days I have noticed email that used to feed into the forum when it was 2.6.10RC3 has stopped working. I have 2 forums where I use the email mailing list feature to send out copies of posts as email to an email distribution list. However since the upgrade: Mail is going out from the forums ok, but not coming back into the forums or being sorted into the threads...it just doesn't show up at all ??

Even though replies don't get inserted back into the forum, they do get redistributed back to the email distribution list as email and I receive those just fine.

The Mailing List rules are still intact and seem to be correct, everything else in globals.php also seems to be exactly the same.
The email acct. that is listed for forum to use is still exactly the same.

I checked the domain and MX records and they are fine.

Forgot to mention after the upgrade I get mail show up from just one user who posts in the forum as originating from G(at)prohost(dot)org?? This is not his email (see headers attached)

Any ideas what to check??

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2008 19:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40247 is a reply to message #40246] Mon, 28 January 2008 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another less pressing issue since upgrading: I can't get the Flags feature to work...I tried importing both types of csv.database and after it seems to spend time transferring the file...it says it failed to copy the file ??

Can't make it work...is there a directory where it is suppossed to go that I can manaully put file in via the File Manager utility ??

Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40250 is a reply to message #40246] Mon, 28 January 2008 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have any error messages in your forum or PHP logs?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40251 is a reply to message #40250] Mon, 28 January 2008 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see no errors in either the FUD or SQL Logs.

I looked in the PHP info area, but it only seems to show settings...where would I find the PHP error logs is any ?
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40256 is a reply to message #40251] Tue, 29 January 2008 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Check the error_log INI setting value, it'll indicate the name of the file where the PHP errors messages are being logged

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40257 is a reply to message #40256] Wed, 30 January 2008 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have access to the hosted areas where php is ie usr/lib/php.ini etc. I can only browse the forum files using the builtin in File Manager.

Under the errors directory I only see 2 files and no ini file.

The 2 files are the SQLErrorLOg and PHPErrorLog.

If I try to view the files using the forums Error Log Viewer I only see this under SQL:

Time Error Description
Thu Jan 1 0:00:00 GMT 1970

(System date looks wrong)

If I download the SQLError Log I see the error listed below which may be relevant. Note: I don't believe I have any command line access to the SQL Tables in use as it is hosted with you at your site ProForum.

What is next step ??

/home/c_pippy/forum_data/include/theme/default/db.inc:176<br />
/home/c_pippy/forum_data/include/mlist.inc:76<br />
/home/c_pippy/www/docs/adm/admmlist.php:40<br />
) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '
'',
'',
'',
'',
'',
'',
''
)' at<br />
Query: INSERT INTO fud26_mlist(
forum_id,
name,
mlist_opt,
subject_regex_haystack,
subject_regex_needle,
body_regex_haystack,
body_regex_needle,
additional_headers,
custom_sig
)
VALUES(
'',
'',
'',
'',
'',
'',
''
)<br />
_POST: array (
'SQ' =&gt; '4abb8badbbbef82ba1f97e223748e6f8',
'ml_name' =&gt; '',
'ml_forum_id' =&gt; '',
'ml_mlist_post_apr' =&gt; '1',
'ml_allow_frm_post' =&gt; '0',
'ml_frm_post_apr' =&gt; '0',
'ml_allow_mlist_attch' =&gt; '8',
'ml_allow_mlist_html' =&gt; '0',
'ml_complex_reply_match' =&gt; '0',
'ml_create_users' =&gt; '64',
'ml_skip_non_forum_users' =&gt; '0',
'ml_subject_regex_haystack' =&gt; '',
'ml_subject_regex_haystack_opt' =&gt; '',
'ml_subject_regex_needle' =&gt; '',
'ml_body_regex_haystack' =&gt; '',
'ml_body_regex_haystack_opt' =&gt; '',
'ml_body_regex_needle' =&gt; '',
'ml_additional_headers' =&gt; '',
'ml_custom_sig' =&gt; '',
'ml_submit' =&gt; 'Add Mailing List Rule',
'edit' =&gt;
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40264 is a reply to message #40257] Wed, 30 January 2008 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is an error of the insert operation. Can you check the mailing list control panel to see if the import rules were added correctly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40268 is a reply to message #40264] Thu, 31 January 2008 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything in the mailing list setup looks correct. I don't understand when I define these where they are stored in FUD ??

Also I tried deleting and recreating one of the mailing list rules, now it ends in Maillist.php 3 instead of 1

I don't understand what this means from the bottom of the Mailing List Control Panel Page? Can you explain what I need to do?

***Notes***
Exec Line parameter in the table above shows the execution line that you will need to pipe the mailing list messages to.
Procmail example:

:0:
* ^TO_.*php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
| /home/forum/F/test/maillist.php 1

My Mailing list is still defined the same as it was: exec(at)lists(dot)tfbm(dot)org
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40269 is a reply to message #40268] Thu, 31 January 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you use procmail you need to put a "script" of a similar syntax as the one shown in the control panel to make your mail server pipe incoming messages to the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40701 is a reply to message #40269] Sun, 06 April 2008 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srchild is currently offline  srchild   United Kingdom
I have the same problem. Any solution?

I just upgraded from 2.6.9 to 2.7.7

2.6.9 forum was running well for over two years, synchronising three mailing lists and three forums in both directions.

Now, as described above, a post to the forum is sent out to the lists, but a post to the lists does not appear in the forums.

I haven't changed my procmail or list setup, the script path is unchanged and exactly as appears in the control panel for the list, and I have confirmed from my procmail logs that the messages are getting passed to maillist.php

I have checked the shebang in maillist.php, and in fact have tried both php4 and php5 (both binaries are available to me), doesn't work with either.

php.ini shows:

log_errors Off ; Log errors into a log file

I have read-only access to php.ini, I can't edit it to enable logging.

The FUDforum and SQL error logs are empty (did the upgrade clear them?).

Suggestions please - this forum is quiet on Sunday but the mailing lists get busier on Monday morning!

Thanks.

Simon Child

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2008 16:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40705 is a reply to message #40701] Sun, 06 April 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ended up giving up on making mine work...I was never able to resolve what had happened between the upgrades to make it stop working. I compared the promail files and everything else settings wise and even tried restoring backups of some older files selectively but could never isolate a reason why it sudddenly stopped working.

In the end I suggested members subscribe to the threads of forums that they wanted to and that way they would get email with the content of the posts from the forum, most like that and are happy with it. Then I turned of the mailing lists features for good.

Likewise another problem I could never solve and gave up on was why when I go to import my forum data it corrupts everything and renders the website unusable. This is going from 2.7.7 to 2.7.7. I have someone donating me free hosting and I can't even take advantage of it. Confused

The only conclusion I came to is there are some gremlins in the current version of FUD and perhaps these will get resolved in a future update.

Good luck !
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40706 is a reply to message #40701] Sun, 06 April 2008 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Following on, I have traced where maillist.php is dying. I've inserted some simple logging in it, e.g.:

fud_use('err.inc');
exec("touch /path/to/logdir/1");
fud_use('db.inc');
exec("touch /path/to/logdir/2");
fud_use('imsg.inc');
exec("touch /path/to/logdir/3");
fud_use('imsg_edt.inc');
exec("touch /path/to/logdir/4");

1, 2, and 3 get created, but not 4.

FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.inc is present.

Does that help?

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40731 is a reply to message #40706] Wed, 09 April 2008 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have any ideas on this, I'm struggling with it.

Does anyone have mail importing working under 2.7.7?

The reason I chose fudforum a few years ago was specifically for mailing list synchronisation, and it has worked well until I upgraded - I need to get this working again ASAP.

Any clues welcome, thanks.

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40732 is a reply to message #40731] Wed, 09 April 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What errors are you seeing?

Make sure that the forum's files are unlocked (world-readable)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40734 is a reply to message #40732] Wed, 09 April 2008 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 00:20

What errors are you seeing?

Make sure that the forum's files are unlocked (world-readable)

Problem as posts above - messages are not getting imported since I upgraded to 2.7.7. I haven't changed the configuration and it looks fine. As per postings above I have confirmed that maillist.php is getting run but seems to get no further than the include indicated above.

Forum files are unlocked, have checked that by ssh to the server and chmod -R 777 *

Any thoughts? Thanks

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40735 is a reply to message #40246] Thu, 10 April 2008 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just reconfirmed.

If I include exec("touch") statements in maillist.php (as described above), then as expected the touched files 1,2,3 are touched (created, or date changed).

The one before maillist.php line:

fud_use('imsg_edt.inc');

does touch the log directory, but the one after, doesn't.

furthermore, if I include touch lines at top and bottom of

FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.inc

they do not do anything.

permissions are like this:

777 FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.inc
777 FUDforum/include/theme/default
777 FUDforum/include/theme
777 FUDforum/include
777 FUDforum

If there was a problem with accessing the directory FUDforum/include/theme/default/ then why doesn't it fail earlier e.g. the preceding line:

fud_use('imsg.inc');

That is in the same directory!

This seems weird, any thoughts?

This was a straightforward upgrade from 2.6.9.

Thanks

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40736 is a reply to message #40735] Thu, 10 April 2008 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using php 4.3.10, in case that is relevant. On FreeBSD 4.8

(I upgraded my forum from 2.6.9 as part of getting ready for a server upgrade to php5/Free BSD 6.2)

BTW, at what version does fudforum start to support php5, I have a couple of other smaller forums that are more recent and may not need upgrading?

Thanks

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40763 is a reply to message #40736] Thu, 10 April 2008 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
PHP5 is supported since 2.6.0 or so. Have you tried running the maillist import via strace to see where it errors out?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40764 is a reply to message #40763] Thu, 10 April 2008 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 23:20

PHP5 is supported since 2.6.0 or so.

Thanks (so I didn't need to upgrade!)

Quote:

Have you tried running the maillist import via strace to see where it errors out?

I haven't, but shall try that. What is the best way to feed an appropriate input to maillist to test this? Currently I am piping a genuine email to it via procmail, is there a better way to do this for testing purposes?

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40765 is a reply to message #40764] Thu, 10 April 2008 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahah!

If I simply run:

maillist.php 8

I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare poll_cache_rebuild() (previously declared in /path/to/FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg.inc:25) in /path/to/FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.inc on line 742

Indeed both do declare function poll_cache_rebuild()

The obvious solution is to delete one of these, but which one, they are different?

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40766 is a reply to message #40765] Thu, 10 April 2008 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srchild wrote on Fri, 11 April 2008 00:06

Ahah!

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare poll_cache_rebuild() (previously declared in /path/to/FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg.inc:25) in /path/to/FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.inc on line 742

Indeed both do declare function poll_cache_rebuild()

The obvious solution is to delete one of these, but which one, they are different?

Well I commented out the function definition in FUDforum/include/theme/default/imsg.inc and it seems to work fine. Is this all I need to do (and also update the .src file)?

Simon Child
Re: Email stopped working after running upgrade to 2.7.7 [message #40801 is a reply to message #40766] Sun, 13 April 2008 12:23 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, you can't get polls via e-mail so the patch is completely safe

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Your php version (4.3.11) is older then the minimum required version (4.3.0). Please install the new
Next Topic: Upgrade Issue: Members List Blank
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 00:49:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03234 seconds