FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #491] Thu, 14 February 2002 16:40 Go to next message
fjrohlf is currently offline  fjrohlf   United States
I downloaded and did the un-tar with no problem. I tried running the install.php from the shell but with received the following error messages:

./install.php: ?php: No such file or directory
./install.php: /bin: is a directory
./install.php: COPYING: command not found
./install.php: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `(C'
./install.php: line 6: `* copyright : (C) 2001,2002 Advanced Internet Designs Inc.'

I then tried the web install. I got to the page where I supply the MySQL information but then when I click next I get a blank screen. I waited a while but nothing ever happened.

On page 2 of the userguide, it suggests checking on mysql status with php. I entered the example code with my root ID and password. When I ran it I received the display "3.23.48-log" which is what I assume I should get.

What do I need to do next to run the install.php script?

Jim
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #492 is a reply to message #491] Thu, 14 February 2002 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just ran through the web install again and got past that previous problem. I got to a screen that said the setup was complete and if I clicked next I would be taken to the login screen. That did not work - I just got a page cannot be displayed screen.

Jim
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #493 is a reply to message #492] Thu, 14 February 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ironstorm is currently offline  ironstorm   Canada

My suggestion, honestly, fetch down the latest code with CVS (see this thread).

There are SO MANY bug fixes between 1.1.1 and 1.1.9-dev which is what this install is running...

In fact, I'd be inclined to bug protoss for a new dev version on the D/L page. There are two bugs that are known on it still (both cosmetic & to do with Anonymous posting), but it is much more solid and it works pretty well on Windows too Grin

[Updated on: Thu, 14 February 2002 17:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #494 is a reply to message #491] Thu, 14 February 2002 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
the install.php script is not a shell script. if you try to execute it as such it MOST DEFINATELY will not work. Ideally you would run it from the directory where you intend to install the forum using your browsers.

Of course, any web browseable directory will do. Smile

The broken URL problem is likely the result of mislabeled option in the install.php script, which made you put incorrect data into to WWW_ROOT & correspondingly the COOKIE_PATH was not correctly generated.

To fix this problem, edit the GLOBALS.php file, and modify the 2 options I've mentioned above.

That should fix your problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #495 is a reply to message #494] Thu, 14 February 2002 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your comments The userguide claims that the install file can be executed. That needs to be updated.

You said "The broken URL problem is likely the result of mislabeled option in the install.php script, which made you put incorrect data into to WWW_ROOT & correspondingly the COOKIE_PATH was not correctly generated.

To fix this problem, edit the GLOBALS.php file, and modify the 2 options I've mentioned above." Can you be more explicit? Exactly what should I change?

Thanks again.

Jim
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #496 is a reply to message #495] Thu, 14 February 2002 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fjrohlf wrote on Thu, 14 February 2002 3:29 PM

Thanks for your comments The userguide claims that the install file can be executed. That needs to be updated.

You said "The broken URL problem is likely the result of mislabeled option in the install.php script, which made you put incorrect data into to WWW_ROOT & correspondingly the COOKIE_PATH was not correctly generated.

To fix this problem, edit the GLOBALS.php file, and modify the 2 options I've mentioned above." Can you be more explicit? Exactly what should I change?

Thanks again.

okie, well you open the GLOBALS.php file, go to the line which says something like $WWW_ROOT = "some path";
you change "some path" to be the full path to the web dir where you forum is:
ex: http://www.myforum.com/forum/ (make sure there is a trailing /)

Then you go to line which says $COOKIE_PATH = "something";

And you change "something" to the dir where your forum is installed.
ex: if you have http://www.myforum.com/forum/ inside your WWW_ROOT your make COOKIE_PATH equal to "/forum/"

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #497 is a reply to message #496] Thu, 14 February 2002 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, that helped a lot -- Thanks!!!

Now that everything seems to be working, I would like to make a few changes in how it looks. The main thing is that I would like to get rid of the smiley shortcuts. They are nice but not appropriate for the intended users of my forum. If I delete them all in the control panel will that make that section of the post form go away?

I did not seem to see a section in the control panel for the post icons. Can I delete some of them or add new ones?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #498 is a reply to message #497] Thu, 14 February 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fjrohlf wrote on Thu, 14 February 2002 6:11 PM

Ok, that helped a lot -- Thanks!!!

Now that everything seems to be working, I would like to make a few changes in how it looks. The main thing is that I would like to get rid of the smiley shortcuts. They are nice but not appropriate for the intended users of my forum. If I delete them all in the control panel will that make that section of the post form go away?

I did not seem to see a section in the control panel for the post icons. Can I delete some of them or add new ones?

Thanks again for your help.

There is a control panel called "Smiley Manager" it will allow you to add/edit/remove smilies.

Simply remove all the smilies and voila Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #503 is a reply to message #491] Fri, 15 February 2002 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, now the smiley icons are gone - but it still says "Smiley Shortcuts:" at the left. How about the post icons. I would like to get rid of some of them - but not all of them.

Thanks again for your prompt help.

[got deleted during an forum update]

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Cannot install FUD - mysql proglem? [message #504 is a reply to message #491] Fri, 15 February 2002 04:44 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The smiley shortcuts appearing despite there being no smileys is a bug. A temporary fix is to set "Allow Smileys" option in the forum control panel to "NO" for every forum.

It will hide the "Smiley Shortcuts:" section.

I'll make sure that in the next release the smiley section will no appear on the post page if there are no smileys.

As for message icons, you simply delete the ones you don't like from the hard drive. They will be automatically removed.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: why does the style change when a other user logs in ?
Next Topic: is it possible to delete complete threads from the database
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 18:44:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02111 seconds