FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » tree view and new messages icons
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
tree view and new messages icons [message #5235] Sat, 24 August 2002 05:28 Go to next message
venus is currently offline  venus   Russian Federation

here are 2 more suggestions from me Smile

1. separate option in profile about tree/flat forum view. it can be "default forum view = collapsed threads/expanded threads" and separate forum view icons - expand/collapse". i prefer flat forum view but trees in threads and now with single options forum reading is not too comfortable.

2. leave new message icons/indicators untouched when reading thread in tree mode until thread will be left. just now all new message marks disappears after click on first unread message in thread.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 August 2002 05:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5236 is a reply to message #5235] Sat, 24 August 2002 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

and why do not mark new messages in flat mode? this can be usefull when reading large topic with complex tree of replies.
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5239 is a reply to message #5236] Sat, 24 August 2002 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It is pointless to mark messages read/unread in flat mode, since you are already looking @ the message's body, while in tree mode you simply see a non descriptive subject, which in many cases is the same across many replies.

I am not entirely sure about what you are asking in #1, can you elaborate with more detailed examples please.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5244 is a reply to message #5239] Sat, 24 August 2002 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Sat, 24 August 2002 21:58

I am not entirely sure about what you are asking in #1, can you elaborate with more detailed examples please.

how can user set default forum view mode as flat (without trees) and single topic view mode as tree? i can't find option for forum view mode in profile.

also user can be confused by similar buttons ("flat view" and "tree view") for setting forum and single topic view mode. i think that it will be easy to understand if buttons will be named differently - "tree view"/"flat view" buttons for topics and "expanded"/"collapsed" for forums. this is just my opinion, because i like ubbthreads where buttons names differs for topics and forums.

Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5245 is a reply to message #5239] Sat, 24 August 2002 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Sat, 24 August 2002 21:58

It is pointless to mark messages read/unread in flat mode, since you are already looking @ the message's body, while in tree mode you simply see a non descriptive subject, which in many cases is the same across many replies.

if new messages are marked when reading long topic in flat mode - there is no need to remember which message i've read and no need to look at body. i can just scroll page by PgDn key or by mouse wheel until i'll see "new msg" icon.
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5250 is a reply to message #5245] Sat, 24 August 2002 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In flat mode the body of the message is right in front of your eyes. Most people don't even pay attention to the topic, and merely skim over the message quickly until they reach something of interest.
New message is also not 100% accurate, since when you load a page of messages in flat view, all the messages on that page get marked as read. So for example if you only read the 1st 5 messages and there were 10 messages on page all 10 would get marked read. Meaning that if you rely purely on the icon you are likely to skip over messages you have not yet read.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5252 is a reply to message #5250] Sat, 24 August 2002 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Sun, 25 August 2002 00:45

when you load a page of messages in flat view, all the messages on that page get marked as read

the same when reading in tree mode. all unread messages get marked as read after click of fist unread message. Sad

there must be a way to keep "unread" marks on messages until user will leave topic. and such feature exists in wwwthreads/ubbthreads.
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5253 is a reply to message #5252] Sat, 24 August 2002 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hrm.. in threaded view only the message you are currently viewing will get marked read. If that is not the case then it is a bug.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5261 is a reply to message #5253] Sun, 25 August 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just tried. when i opened topic with 5 unread messages, they were marked in messages tree with yellow icon (unread). and after click on first unread message, all 5 icons became white (read) so i can't determine which message was read wnd which one was not.
Re: tree view and new messages icons [message #5265 is a reply to message #5261] Sun, 25 August 2002 16:17 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie, I see that's a bug then, I'll look into it.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: marking new posts in msgs tree
Next Topic: Separating Threads
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 06:20:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.20312 seconds