FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » problem with blank.gif
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  problem with blank.gif [message #842] Sun, 03 March 2002 05:57 Go to next message
juicysauce is currently offline  juicysauce   United States
okay... thanks to some excellent support from prottoss (about an hour walking me through things in IRC), my forum is up and running! hooray!

but for some reason, blank.gif is showing up as a broken image. i'm assuming blank.gif is a simple image (1px by 1px ?) used to create the black horizontal lines that appear in messages.

the file is showing up on my server, but its size is 0k. when i try to upload a homemade version of the file, i get a permission denied error. i've chmoded the folder, but i still get this permission denied error.

any clues?

http://justincone.com/forum
Re: problem with blank.gif [message #843 is a reply to message #842] Sun, 03 March 2002 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
juicysauce wrote on Sun, 03 March 2002 12:57 AM

okay... thanks to some excellent support from prottoss (about an hour walking me through things in IRC), my forum is up and running! hooray!

but for some reason, blank.gif is showing up as a broken image. i'm assuming blank.gif is a simple image (1px by 1px ?) used to create the black horizontal lines that appear in messages.

the file is showing up on my server, but its size is 0k. when i try to upload a homemade version of the file, i get a permission denied error. i've chmoded the folder, but i still get this permission denied error.

any clues?

http://justincone.com/forum

chmod the file 666 then you'll be able to overwrite it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with blank.gif [message #853 is a reply to message #843] Sun, 03 March 2002 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh boy... so i tried to chomod 666 on the file, but it wouldn't let me do anything. "operation not permitted". so then i got the bright idea to delete the file and then just re-upload file. that seemed to work.

but when i went to my forum page, i got a new error:

Warning: Failed opening 'core.inc' for inclusion (include_path='') in /home/juicysauce/forum/include/GLOBALS.php on line 131

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fud_use() in /home/juicysauce/www/forum/index.php on line 22

so then i thought i'd try to re-install the forum. i ran install.php, by got this message after step 2:

FAILED DURING COPY
/home/juicysauce/www/forum_install/install_data/docs/.blank.gif, /home/juicysauce/www/forum/.blank.gif

"aha! so now i see where all this started," i thought to myself. the reason blank.gif was a problem is because it was messed up in the forum_install files. i checked the forum_install path, and sure enough: blank.gif was 0k. i uploaded blank.gif (from the original untarred file bundle) over this one.

but that didn't help matters. i still get both sets of error messages, the first when i try to access the forum, the second when i try to run install.php.

it seems as though replacing the 0k blank.gif with the true blank.gif image has somehow messed up globals.php and/or core.inc?! i can't imagine how/why...

and, as the first paragraph of this message suggests, i can't chmod anything inside home/www/forum. i can chmod the forum folder, but i can't do anything to any files inside it. weird.

Re: problem with blank.gif [message #855 is a reply to message #853] Sun, 03 March 2002 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1) Did you chmod the file 666 or the directory. You should have chmoded the file.

2) Which version of the forum you've tried installing?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem with blank.gif [message #856 is a reply to message #842] Sun, 03 March 2002 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help... never mind, though. i've ditched the forum at justincone.com and instead installed a new one at midlake.net/forum. and guess what? everything works perfectly!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i think the reason i've been having problems from the very beginning is because the server for justincone.com is old and crappy. i wasn't able to FTP up all the forum_install files in one go, so i had to manually upload directories one by one. during this tedious process i must have screwed up blank.gif (among other things).

i'm still going to fiddle with the forum on justincone.com, but the midlake.net site is the one i really needed to work. it's a client site.

thank you thank you thank you!!!
Re: problem with blank.gif [message #857 is a reply to message #856] Sun, 03 March 2002 17:55 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
juicysauce wrote on Sun, 03 March 2002 12:54 PM

thanks for the help... never mind, though. i've ditched the forum at justincone.com and instead installed a new one at midlake.net/forum. and guess what? everything works perfectly!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i think the reason i've been having problems from the very beginning is because the server for justincone.com is old and crappy. i wasn't able to FTP up all the forum_install files in one go, so i had to manually upload directories one by one. during this tedious process i must have screwed up blank.gif (among other things).

i'm still going to fiddle with the forum on justincone.com, but the midlake.net site is the one i really needed to work. it's a client site.

thank you thank you thank you!!!

Ah... good to know... Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Problem Creating Threads
Next Topic: How to disable the message for users under age 13
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:35:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02867 seconds