FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » NNTP Import Problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: NNTP Import Problems [message #166922 is a reply to message #166898] Wed, 28 March 2012 18:51 Go to previous message
Multitool is currently offline  Multitool   United Kingdom
[Sorry, I now think this is probably in the wrong forum. It might be more appropriate for a moderator to move this into the Bug Reports forum? ]

OK, I've been doing a bit more investigation of this problem this evening.

It seems this issue only affects split attachments (i.e. where a large file is broken up into multiple NNTP messages) when the chunk size is not tiny, and the file is relatively non-compressible (e.g. a JPEG photograph). Attachments wholly contained within a single NNTP message are imported correctly.

As far as I can tell, split attachments are never handled correctly - they are always imported into the Forum as text. That I don't mind, and can live with.

However, when importing an attachment with a largeish (~1MB) chunk size, the php process seems to go into an infinite loop and never completes. I have left such a process running for more than 20 minutes and it showed no signs of finishing before killing it. The log file is empty.

If the chunk size is very small (~50KB) then the import process does complete, but I get a lot of PHP warnings in the log file (and as mentioned above each chunk is imported as text). An example of such a log file is attached.

Weirdly, if I try importing a highly-compressible file (e.g. a plain white BMP image) the import always completes, regardless of split size (although still the attachment is imported as text).

I can live with the split attachments being treated as text, but the php process going into a seemingly infinite loop is really a show-stopper for me. This effectively halts all further NNTP importing, and takes the CPU to 100% permanently until the process is manually killed.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and if it's fixable?

Many thanks in advance!

[Updated on: Wed, 28 March 2012 18:53]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Disabling Password Resets?
Next Topic: Changing the Order of Topics
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 16:57:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04118 seconds