FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Time Problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Time Problem [message #1152] Thu, 21 March 2002 23:11 Go to next message
DPitts18 is currently offline  DPitts18   United States
The time on my board is way off. It says 10:21AM EST right now.

I have the admin time set to est time and my profile set to est time, but for some reason it keeps listing it wrong.
Re: Time Problem [message #1178 is a reply to message #1152] Sat, 23 March 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anybody have any idea how I can fix this?
Re: Time Problem [message #1182 is a reply to message #1178] Sat, 23 March 2002 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
there's an option in the time configuration of the admin control panel where u can set the time's offset in seconds from UTC (GMT). So u just need to calculate the negative amount of ur server's time and then it should fix the problem. There's an description on the left side how to specify this option. But I can't tell u if it actually works because I ve never used it before, just know that it exists Wink.
bye
Ken
Re: Time Problem [message #1183 is a reply to message #1182] Sat, 23 March 2002 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Kizaki wrote on Sat, 23 March 2002 10:33 AM

Hi,
there's an option in the time configuration of the admin control panel where u can set the time's offset in seconds from UTC (GMT). So u just need to calculate the negative amount of ur server's time and then it should fix the problem. There's an description on the left side how to specify this option. But I can't tell u if it actually works because I ve never used it before, just know that it exists Wink.
bye
Ken

I tried that before, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Re: Time Problem [message #1184 is a reply to message #1152] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was trying to edit in the admin area to get the time right and I accidentally put this in "Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:01:07 +0200"Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:01:07 +0200"g:i A

And now the amin area won't let me remove it. If anyone can help me please do.
Re: Time Problem [message #1185 is a reply to message #1184] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
I know this bug, but it's from older versions of the forum and has been fixed meanwhile. U can edit the GLOBALS.php and remove the entry there. To illustrate it here is a sample

[...]
$SERVER_TZ = "Europe/Berlin";
$DATE_FORMAT = "D, d F Y";
$TIME_FORMAT = "G:i:s";

[...]

In case ur entry is in single ' u should change it to " when altering the entry.

bye Ken
Re: Time Problem [message #1186 is a reply to message #1185] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much. That got rid of the major problem of the long string of nonsense. Now I just have to get the time right. LoL
Re: Time Problem [message #1187 is a reply to message #1186] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I edited it and re-uploaded it now the GLOBALS.php says it's a file when before it said it was a link? Will that screw anything up?
Re: Time Problem [message #1189 is a reply to message #1187] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just went the admin page and the admin page still has this listed as time ("Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:01:07 +0200"Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:01:07 +0200""g:ia""Sat, 23 Dec 2002 16:01:07 +0200"Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:01:07 +0200""g:ia"g:ia) but the forum has the time listed normal. What is going on?
Re: Time Problem [message #1193 is a reply to message #1187] Sat, 23 March 2002 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
DPitts18 wrote on Sat, 23 March 2002 6:42 PM

When I edited it and re-uploaded it now the GLOBALS.php says it's a file when before it said it was a link? Will that screw anything up?

Yes, it will. The actual GLOBALS.php file should be in the subdirectory includes/ in the data directory of the forum. Then there should be symlinks to that file in the forum's main directory and in the adm/ subdirectory.

The problem you describe in your last post derives from this situation. Just place the latest edition of GLOBALS.php in includes/ and make symlinks to it in the main dir and in adm/. That should rid you of the long string of nonsense. That will not fix your time problem, though. I wonder what the reason for that problem might be...
Re: Time Problem [message #1194 is a reply to message #1193] Sat, 23 March 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You lost me in just about everything you said. LoL

I don't know that much about PHP. This my first excursion into it.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 March 2002 17:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Time Problem [message #1199 is a reply to message #1194] Sat, 23 March 2002 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DPitts18 wrote on Sat, 23 March 2002 7:27 PM

You lost me in just about everything you said. LoL

OK. Let's try this again, shall we? Smile

Do you know the difference between a symbolic link and a real file? If not, check that out first before you try to understand the rest of this post.

The following example will use paths /example/path/forum/ as the forum main dir and /example/path/data/ as the forums data dir.

The file GLOBALS.php exists in one place, which is /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php. But there are symbolic links (symlinks) in two places, both of which point to the file in /example/path/data/includes/. These two symlinks are: /example/path/forum/GLOBALS.php and /example/path/forum/adm/GLOBALS.php. If you wish to edit any settings in GLOBALS.php directly, please make the corrections in the real file (ie. /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php), not in the symlinks.

To fix your problem, please recreate the symlinks in /example/path/forum/ and /example/path/forum/adm/. This can be done by issuing the commands 'ln -s /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php /example/path/forum/GLOBALS.php' and 'ln -s /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php /example/path/forum/adm/GLOBALS.php' at the shell prompt.

Quote:

I don't know that much about PHP. This my first excursion into it.

This isn't actually a php issue, rather basic unix know-how. But everybody has to start somewhere... Smile

Hope this helped clear things up for you. Feel free to ask if you still don't understand.
Re: Time Problem [message #1203 is a reply to message #1199] Sun, 24 March 2002 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to try and mess with anything right now. I haven't had any problems yet with the file I edited. If I do I will try and fix and if I need help I will ask you. Thanks so much for trying to help me Smile
Re: Time Problem [message #1206 is a reply to message #1203] Sun, 24 March 2002 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DPitts18 wrote on Sun, 24 March 2002 3:43 AM

I don't want to try and mess with anything right now. I haven't had any problems yet with the file I edited. If I do I will try and fix and if I need help I will ask you. Thanks so much for trying to help me Smile

Oh, but you really should. If you have understood you correctly, you have practically rendered at least parts of the administrators panel useless.
Re: Time Problem [message #1207 is a reply to message #1206] Sun, 24 March 2002 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you be willing to fix it for me since I really do not know how to edit it correctly? I can give you the information you need to do it.
Re: Time Problem [message #1208 is a reply to message #1207] Sun, 24 March 2002 15:32 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
there's nothing much to fix. The right file which has to be edited is the GLOBALS.php in the non-browsable dir unter include/. This is the only original file. The symlink in the rootdir (browsable) of the forum and the one in the adm/ dir should be kept as links. So if one of the latter already has mutated to a real file DO delete it and create new symlinks to the real one as described above. It DOES have a reason why GLOBALS.php ought to be non-browsable, since it keeps both ur forum settings and the confidential user/pass of ur SQL connection.
So the steps are quite easy:

1. copy the already edited file to ur local harddrive
2. delete the GLOBALS.php in the root, adm/, ur hidden-dir/include/ and wherever copies of it may roam
3. copy ur local copy back to ur hiddendir/include/
4. chmod it to 666 so u can change settings at any time with the admin control panel
5. next make the symlinks as djupsjob has described to u
Quote:

To fix your problem, please recreate the symlinks in /example/path/forum/ and /example/path/forum/adm/. This can be done by issuing the commands 'ln -s /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php /example/path/forum/GLOBALS.php' and 'ln -s /example/path/data/includes/GLOBALS.php /example/path/forum/adm/GLOBALS.php' at the shell prompt.

6. Now it should work.
Consider upgrading to the latest version, as it will fix many problems u cannot solve by configuring via the web interface.

bye
Ken
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Icon Problem
Next Topic: Register problem
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 05:51:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02259 seconds