FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29281] Thu, 08 December 2005 15:11 Go to next message
maxel is currently offline  maxel   Germany
Hi!

Our Version: 2.7.3 on a debian 3.1 system (fully patched):

PHP built On: Linux h1602 2.4.27-2-686 #1 Mon May 16 17:03:22 JST 2005 i686
Database Version: 4.0.24_Debian-10sarge1-log
PHP Version: 4.3.10-16
Web Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-16
WebServer to PHP interface: apache
Forum Version: 2.7.3

We have the problem that the e-mail notification of new topics or answers does not work anymore. It had works till two or three weeks before.

the Admin notification mail about new accounts is not working also.

There is no entry in the mailserver log for this kinds of messages

But, E-Mail send through forum works, Private Message received Mail works and the new account confirmation mail for the new user works also..

Therefore i see entrys in the mailserver log.

Shocked
Shocked

I've tryed to set the E-Mail setting "Use SMTP To Send Email" to yes and poit it to our Mailserver, but still the same. Seems to be an database problem or something like that.

How can i debug the email sending?

Maxel

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29282 is a reply to message #29281] Thu, 08 December 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What are you e-mail notification settings set to? Are you using SMTP sending now or default setting that rely on PHP's mail() function?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29283 is a reply to message #29281] Thu, 08 December 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you mean that:

Email Settings

Allow Email: yes

Use SMTP To Send Email: no (i have revert this setting)

SMTP Server:

SMTP Server Port:25

SMTP Server Timeout:10

SMTP Server Login:

SMTP Server Password:

Email Confirmation:yes

Disable Welcome E-mail:no

Administrator Email:*valid e-mail adress*

Notify From: *valid e-mail adress*

Notify W/Body:yes

Smart Notification:yes

New Account Notification:yes
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29284 is a reply to message #29283] Thu, 08 December 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To use SMTP mail delivery you need to have address of the SMTP server set. If that was absent it would explain why e-mail functionality did not work.
In the current config where mail() is used to delivery e-mail you can try to debug the problem by adding debug code to send_email() function inside iemail.inc.t and rebuild the theme.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29285 is a reply to message #29281] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course i had the ip of our mailserver in the form, it was only a test to see if the php mail function caused this.

The test was not succesfull (still the same kinds of messages that work /does not work). So i've set it back to php and deleted the ip of the mailserver.

The new topic notification does not work for all users which have subscribed to a forum. I can see that in maillog when i do an reply to an message or make a new thread, there is no outgoing mail to any user. (4 weeks before that works!)

And i have confirmed that the topic which i used for testing is in my subscribed thread list in my profile, no mail if someone was answer Confused

Please tell me the debug code, im not a developer Smile

maxel

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 16:08]

Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29286 is a reply to message #29285] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Disable "Smart Notification" and see if it starts to work again.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29287 is a reply to message #29281] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK , testing with smart notification off.

UPDATE:

Wow, now it works again!!

But how can i use it with smart notification again?

maxel
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29288 is a reply to message #29287] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Smart notification setting works by checking if the user had responded to previous notifications. If they did not, no further e-mails are sent. This in some cases causes lack of mail delivery, so your either keep it off or periodically use the "mark all read" option.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29289 is a reply to message #29288] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But this was a problem of all users! Seems to be an bug in FUD Forum...

maybe you can add a repair option for that if this happens again (as part of Forum Consistency Check)

Maxel

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 16:37]

Re: New topic E-mail notification does not work anymore [message #29290 is a reply to message #29289] Thu, 08 December 2005 18:15 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I double checked the code and there is nothing wrong with the logic in place. The smart notification system enforces a rule that says you only get a notification if you read the message prior to the one being posted.
This ensures that if 5 new messages are posted in the topic you've subscribed to, you'll only be notified about the first one.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: db_li and a postgres setup on not english language
Next Topic: default text/background colors
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 23:56:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02075 seconds