FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Translations » Dictionary File  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Dictionary File [message #1009] Tue, 19 March 2002 18:56 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Attached tp this message is the dictionary file that contains all the phrase used by the forum. If you want to translate the forum to a different language please download this file.

The file's format is pretty simple:

text_key: text_message

"text_message" is what you should actually translate.

the text_message in some cases may contain things like {VAR: somevar} and little bit of HTML formatting, leave those in when you do the translation, you may need to move then to correspond with the grammar of the language you're translating the forum to though...

If you have any questions contact me via this forum...

Once you do the translation attach the translated file to your reply and in the reply include the language you've translated it to as well as which Charset this is in. Charset is the HTTP header that is passed to the browser, which tells the browser in what language this page is in. If you don't know the charset, leave it blank and I'll try to figure it out myself.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2002 18:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dictionary File [message #1035 is a reply to message #1009] Wed, 20 March 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
I'm working on a translation to Swedish. Sometimes it is quite difficult to know exactly how to translate something when the phrase is totally out of context. When will we be able to test the language file in a "real life" situation?
icon5.gif  The forum graphics [message #1036 is a reply to message #1009] Wed, 20 March 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How are the forum graphics created? Are they created on the fly using the phrase file or should the translators also re-create all the graphics in their own language?
Re: Dictionary File [message #1046 is a reply to message #1036] Wed, 20 March 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Once the text is translated I'll create a graphics pack with PNG version of the images that have text on them, so that they could be translated to other languages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1047 is a reply to message #1035] Wed, 20 March 2002 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 5:15 AM

I'm working on a translation to Swedish. Sometimes it is quite difficult to know exactly how to translate something when the phrase is totally out of context. When will we be able to test the language file in a "real life" situation?

Within a few days at most I'll setup a specific text forum for testing such things, so that you could see which text you are working on.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1053 is a reply to message #1047] Wed, 20 March 2002 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Hungary
Hello,
at the time of writing I've been working on the German translation for a couple of hours already. As u might know already there are some strange characters in German which I have to transcribe to ß or ö for instance to be HTML compliant. Do u think that could interfere with the forum scripts? I'm asking because I already experienced trouble with a translation array that just used ' instead of " for quoting. As a consequence all buttons containing special characters refused to work. So I better ask in advance before posting a language file that might be the source of strange errors Wink.
In case of concerns from ur side I could alternatively write the characters as is, but then I cannot guarantee that they will be displayed if a charset other then iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-15 would be used. Let me know about this issue.
Thanks in advance
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1054 is a reply to message #1053] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken Kizaki wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 1:25 PM

Hello,
at the time of writing I've been working on the German translation for a couple of hours already. As u might know already there are some strange characters in German which I have to transcribe to ß or ö for instance to be HTML compliant. Do u think that could interfere with the forum scripts? I'm asking because I already experienced trouble with a translation array that just used ' instead of " for quoting. As a consequence all buttons containing special characters refused to work. So I better ask in advance before posting a language file that might be the source of strange errors Wink.
In case of concerns from ur side I could alternatively write the characters as is, but then I cannot guarantee that they will be displayed if a charset other then iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-15 would be used. Let me know about this issue.
Thanks in advance
Ken

If you need such characters please use their HTML equivalents such as ö & ß

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1094 is a reply to message #1054] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Hungary
Hello,
attached is my German translation, it's Unix formatted and gzip compressed. The charset is iso-8859-1. Hope it will be useful for u and some others as well Wink

-------edit-------
I found a couple of spelling errors which I have corrected in this version. sorry for the inconvenience.
-------------------
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Thu, 21 March 2002 02:58]

Re: Dictionary File [message #1095 is a reply to message #1094] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks Smile

This will be of great help.

I'll setup a German version of the forum sometime tommorow, if you have time you can take a look @ it and if need be make any corrections.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 21 March 2002 02:23]

icon6.gif  Re: Dictionary File [message #1097 is a reply to message #1095] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Hungary
hello prottoss,
No prob, I'll be around then Smile
bye
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1108 is a reply to message #1094] Thu, 21 March 2002 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Kizaki wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 4:20 AM

Hello,
attached is my German translation, it's Unix formatted and gzip compressed. The charset is iso-8859-1.

Shouldn't we use iso-8859-15 instead of iso-8859-1? That way, the euro sign will be properly displayed when needed. At least I'm going to recommend iso-8859-15 for the Swedish translation I'm working on.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1110 is a reply to message #1009] Thu, 21 March 2002 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The first version of the swedish translation is now ready. All of you who know swedish, please check it and post your corrections here so that we can discuss them.

All umlauts are in html form. I propose that we use charset iso-8859-15, which is a latin-1 charset with support for the euro sign. The file is gzipped and in unix format.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1111 is a reply to message #1108] Thu, 21 March 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
Hm, I stick to the commonly used charset in Germany, and that's iso-8859-1. U get the Euro by typing "€" (without quotation marks) into the source of ur HTML formatted page. I get the symbol even on that charset when typing "as is", so there's no actually no need for switching to the other one. However, keep in mind that Swedish uses some characters that cannot be typed with an average German keyboard, so ur choice may be the right one in ur case.
Bye
Ken

[Updated on: Thu, 21 March 2002 09:54]

Re: Dictionary File [message #1112 is a reply to message #1111] Thu, 21 March 2002 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Kizaki wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 11:51 AM

Hello,
Hm, I stick to the commonly used charset in Germany, and that's iso-8859-1. U get the Euro by typing "€" (without quotation marks) into the source of ur HTML formatted page. I get the symbol even on that charset when typing "as is", so there's no actually no need for switching to the other one. However, keep in mind that Swedish uses some characters that cannot be typed with an average German keyboard, so ur choice may be the right one in ur case.

All the characters used in Swedish can be typed in iso-8859-1, but I would still prefer it if all translations using latin-1 would use iso-8859-15 instead. This makes it easier to get the euro sign working in different situations. I've had so many problems with the euro sign during the last couple of months. Most of these have been caused by people using the euro sign without support for it in their charset. It usually ends up as an empty box on my screen.

I'm aware of the fact that you can get the euro sign with € in most modern browsers. Still, this does not apply to the text people write in the forum, only to the forum messages.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1113 is a reply to message #1112] Thu, 21 March 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
I tested the Euro sign using iso-8859-1 on a webpage by modifying the heading to lots of that symbols, both as html and "as is". The result was, that Netscape 4.79, Opera 6.01, Mozilla 0.99 and Internet Explorer 6.0 showed the correct symbols. However I'm aware that it's just the way how it looks like when using Windows. Same is under Linux, nothing is missing (Redhat 7.2, Gnome 1.4 with all current updates). What Operating System did u use when u became aware of that issue? I suspect this could be the reason. Also running Linux with the wrong locale setting could lead to such a result, too. I know it because Seawolf (RH7.1) installed itself per default with the wrong locale, so that logging into Gnome ur desktop was all screwed up at first unless u changed it to the proper setting Wink
Bye
Ken
Re: Euro sign [message #1114 is a reply to message #1113] Thu, 21 March 2002 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Linux & KDE. Locale setting is sv_FI@euro so that shouldn't be a problem. Still, I have had lots of troubles.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1115 is a reply to message #1114] Thu, 21 March 2002 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
Looks like this problem will occur if the chosen font for the desktop has no support for the "Euro" sign (though being announced as iso-8859-1). If the iso-8859-15 is a workaround for that special situation then maybe it's safer to use it instead. At any case using it wouldn't do any harm to the translation file Smile.
bye
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1116 is a reply to message #1115] Thu, 21 March 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I have understood it correctly iso-8859-1 isn't even supposed to contain support for the euro sign. That is what iso-8859-15 is for.

Of course you are right when you say that it doesn't harm the translation. I just feel that the character set for the whole forum should be iso-8859-15 in those cases where we would have used iso-8859-1 just a year ago (ie. almost every language that is spoken in western Europe).
Re: Dictionary File [message #1118 is a reply to message #1116] Thu, 21 March 2002 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
after having considerred all possible events that could occur I entirely agree with u. Let's use iso-8859-15 for the benefits of the Euro Wink
have a nice day
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1120 is a reply to message #1118] Thu, 21 March 2002 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm interesting suggestion, I'll need to try it.

I was considering having a character set per language, thus prevent any "confusion" by the browser, but if like you say iso-8859-15 charset has all we need then great Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1132 is a reply to message #1120] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
I think u should stick to the charset per language solution, because u can only apply iso-8859-15 to Western (Latin 1) encoded languages. Most Slavic languages in Center and East Europe use a different charset for instance Czech and Polish use 8859-2 Baltic Countries use 8859-4 and Cyrillic letters need 8859-5 as ISO. So our discussion was a bit misunderstanding, since it was about replacing the 8859-1 with 8859-15. Thats why u will still need a variable for it. Hope that hasn't been too confusing with all that figures Wink
Bye
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1133 is a reply to message #1132] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ah... I see now... okie will do...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1138 is a reply to message #1133] Thu, 21 March 2002 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to make this thing completely clear and avoid any further misunderstandings:

The idea is that iso-8859-15 completely replaces iso-8859-1. The only difference between them, as far as I know, is that iso-8859-15 contains support for the euro and cent signs. It does not contain anything else that iso-8859-1 didn't contain. So we will still have to have a variable for charset dependent on the forum language, for all those other languages with characters unknown to the English-speaking world. If only unicode would catch on... Neutral
Re: Dictionary File [message #1160 is a reply to message #1138] Fri, 22 March 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

djupsjob wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 2:44 PM

Just to make this thing completely clear and avoid any further misunderstandings:

The idea is that iso-8859-15 completely replaces iso-8859-1. The only difference between them, as far as I know, is that iso-8859-15 contains support for the euro and cent signs. It does not contain anything else that iso-8859-1 didn't contain. So we will still have to have a variable for charset dependent on the forum language, for all those other languages with characters unknown to the English-speaking world. If only unicode would catch on... Neutral

What!? and use 2 bytes a character, are you insane man? Smile
hehehe

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Dictionary File [message #1164 is a reply to message #1009] Fri, 22 March 2002 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
As promised I've setup 2 versions of the forum, which have been translated to languages other then english.

1) German - http://german.forum.prohost.org/
2) Swedish - http://swedish.forum.prohost.org/

If you are translating a forum to a different language let me know, and I'll setup a version of the forum with that language. It should make it easier to translate the forum.

P.S. Ken, djupsjob I've sent you private messages with additional information.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1167 is a reply to message #1164] Fri, 22 March 2002 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
I dunno how it works on the Swedish board, but at the German one, I encounterred a strange bug with the Euro sign. I created a message with lots of them, preview went fine and then after submitting it turned to either garbage characters or question marks. editing the message without preview made the horizontal line of that sign work but not the vertical line. Third time editing spillt the preview with garbage characters and after submitting the sign was printed as is, both vertical and horizontal. Could this be an issue with the 1.2.2 version? The error seems to have an unpredictable, random nature. Right now I'm using Mozilla 0.99 (win32). Think I should take a look at it with some more browsers for further investigation. Would be interesting if djupsjob has similiar problems on the Swedish board.
next lines are for testing:

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

In case its not visible, this should be a couple of Euro signs.
---edit-----
Strange, here it works perfectly Question
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2002 21:23]

Re: Dictionary File [message #1170 is a reply to message #1167] Fri, 22 March 2002 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie I am going to check the problem out right now...
I'll let you know once I fix the prob you're seeing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1171 is a reply to message #1170] Fri, 22 March 2002 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1 question, when you used the EURO sign, did in the msg file use the HTML entity for it, it did you simply type it in?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1172 is a reply to message #1170] Fri, 22 March 2002 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Ok thanx. Smile
Meanwhile I couldn't reproduce it anymore with Mozilla. Opera and IE seem to work without problems too. But: Our beloved Netscape 4.7x does not show the single messages of a thread there. Somehow it refuses to load the page so u only see the background's colour without anything inside. I looked at the fonts' setting in the preferences menu and to my surprise it seems, that there's no support for the iso-8859-15. U cannot set the browser to that because its not available for selecting. Would also explain why it won't run there while here its doing fine.
-----edit-----
Just saw ur question above: Yes I typed it right away without using "€"
bye,
Ken

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2002 21:58]

Re: Dictionary File [message #1173 is a reply to message #1172] Fri, 22 March 2002 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually there was a slight HTML bug on the msg page, which has now been fixed.

Ok, on Linux 2.4 + X 4.2.0 + freetype + MS's truetype fonts the euro symbol was displayed fine in all the browsers I've tested, which are:

Mozilla 0.99
Konqueror 2.2 (worked both with QT_XFT and without)
Opera 6.0
Netscape 4.76

FUDforum Core Developer
icon3.gif  Re: Dictionary File [message #1188 is a reply to message #1173] Sat, 23 March 2002 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
I have a suggestion about enhancing the translation:
How about including the admin area into the translation as well? I think this would be a great help for ppl who aren't too familiar with English and help spreading FUD all across the planet, too Wink
bye
Ken
Re: Dictionary File [message #1191 is a reply to message #1188] Sat, 23 March 2002 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Kizaki wrote on Sat, 23 March 2002 6:42 PM

Hello,
I have a suggestion about enhancing the translation:
How about including the admin area into the translation as well? I think this would be a great help for ppl who aren't too familiar with English and help spreading FUD all across the planet, too Wink

I second this motion.
Editing the translation online [message #1192 is a reply to message #1009] Sat, 23 March 2002 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any way to either speed up the editing of the translations online or edit the offline? Loading the msg-screen is painfully slow , which slows down the whole process a lot.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1198 is a reply to message #1192] Sat, 23 March 2002 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Eventually once the front end is completely translated we'll consider translating the admin sections as well, however I think the user land stuff needs to be completed 1st.

As for speed of form, I'll put up mod_gzip on our test server it should speed things up a little bit.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1201 is a reply to message #1198] Sat, 23 March 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sat, 23 March 2002 8:09 PM

As for speed of form, I'll put up mod_gzip on our test server it should speed things up a little bit.

Thanks. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but since I'm spending the following weeks at my parent's house stuck with a measly ISDN connection it matters.
Re: Dictionary File [message #1202 is a reply to message #1201] Sat, 23 March 2002 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob, Ken (thanks) pointed out a missing option on the poll editor, I've just added it to the message file, add_poll_option, you'll be able to edit it when editing the messages for poll.tmpl.

Also, I've fixed a misuse of a msg on the email to friend poll, it used the "require" message instead of "email to friend" message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Dictionary File [message #1498 is a reply to message #1009] Wed, 17 April 2002 20:24 Go to previous message
seba_rios is currently offline  seba_rios   Argentina

Hi, soon I'll send you an spanish translation.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 April 2002 20:38]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Next Topic: French translation request
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:15:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02766 seconds