FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Email Participation patch
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Email Participation patch [message #11150] Thu, 19 June 2003 18:43 Go to next message
mal0rd is currently offline  mal0rd   United States
This patch (relative to the latest CVS) adds a link next to subscribe that says "participate via email". It works like a subscription, except when a user is participating via email they receive all the forums posts with bodies, without exception.

This patch also makes the subscription link and the new link always visible, even for unregistered users.

This patch makes the "From" header for emails show the userid and email of the poster, unless they specify to have it hidden.

This patch makes the subject line of the emails more compact.

This patch makes the message-id and list-id more standard looking.

This patch changes the way send_email addresses users. Because we don't want to reveal everybody's email address, I changed it to use Bcc headers instead of To.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 July 2003 18:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Email Participation patch [message #11157 is a reply to message #11150] Thu, 19 June 2003 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joshmccormack is currently offline  joshmccormack   United States
Sounds very interesting. Does this basically make participation in the forum possible the standard way and as a mailing list?
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11159 is a reply to message #11157] Thu, 19 June 2003 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've implemented half of a MLM: messages can be received via email.

Being able to post via email could work with a few slight modifications. (1) The Reply-To header would need to be set to something that is delivered via the maillist.php script. (2) The maillist.php script would need to understand the new types of Message-Id's I'm using. (3) It would only work well if it didn't require the administator to setup a MLM entry in the control panel and if things like the extra HTML, unsubscribe links, and subject tags from the emails were removed automatically. I don't even know if it's a good idea to implement this half of a MLM, because the posting page of FUD has more power then a text-only email client, like allowing prettier quoting. plus the maillist.php script is kind of a hack, requiring odd permissions on files and such.
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11251 is a reply to message #11159] Tue, 24 June 2003 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe just adding a link to the bottom of each message users would receive by email that would say "Respond to this message" could take them to a web based response page. That would be sufficient integration of web and email for me, and should be pretty easy to do, no? I can definitely see what you mean about the interface and capabilities. This looks like a word processor or something, with all the options!
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11253 is a reply to message #11251] Tue, 24 June 2003 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The emails already have a "Reply" link, so I believe that would suit your needs. It's the method I prefer.
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11506 is a reply to message #11150] Wed, 02 July 2003 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've installed 2.5 and downloaded and unpacked this patch. How do I install it?
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11507 is a reply to message #11506] Wed, 02 July 2003 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the patch utility. Normally it's "patch -p0 < the.patch" in unix.
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11509 is a reply to message #11150] Wed, 02 July 2003 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help.

First, I went into Vim and changed the directories to point to mine.
:%s@/home/devin/public_html/fud_data/@/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/@g
:%s@fud21_install/install/forum_data/@home/travelersdiary/www/forum/@g

Then I ran the command and got these results:

west39:~/www/forum$ patch -p0 < fud.patch
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/sql/mysql/fud_forum_emailpart.tbl'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/sql/pgsql/fud_forum_emailpart.tbl'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/src/forum_notify.inc.t'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/src/iemail.inc.t'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/src/imsg_edt.inc.t'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/src/subscribed.php.t'
patching file `/home/travelersdiary/www/forum/src/thread_view_common.inc.t'

However, I'm not getting a participate through email button next to subscribe. I tried logging out and in and reloading. Am I doing something wrong?
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11556 is a reply to message #11509] Mon, 07 July 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You probably need to modify the template where you want to link to appear manually, since no templates are affected by the patch you've applied and don't forget to rebuild the theme once you are done.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon8.gif  Re: Email Participation patch [message #11579 is a reply to message #11509] Mon, 07 July 2003 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, I feel like an idiot. That patch was grossly incomplete. I don't know what happened, but I've updated it so it should work now. It's still patched against the latest version of CVS. I also fixed it so you don't need to start up an editor to change the filenames.

Please accept my apologies. I'd really like to see this patch incorporated into Fud. Is that likely to happen anytime?
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11594 is a reply to message #11579] Wed, 09 July 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is possible parts of the patch will make it into the default distribution, but when I do not yet know.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11629 is a reply to message #11579] Wed, 09 July 2003 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the hard work. I ran the patch but am still not seeing a change. Do I need to do something directly to the template?

http://www.travelersdiary.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=1&rid =2&S=4d168b400d5cc6387959fc67e16795cd
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11630 is a reply to message #11629] Wed, 09 July 2003 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to your site, and you are correct, the patch does not appear to have effected anything.

But I looked at the patch and it should definitially be effecting your theme. Please try this. If it doesn't work if you gave me better access to your machine then I could try to debug the problem.

1.) Download the latest CVS for Fud Forum.
2.) While sitting the the top level directory of the CVS checkout, run `patch -p0 < PATH_TO_PATCH_FILE`
3.) Follow the directions in README to install fud forum. Make sure you use the Default theme.

The only thing I can think of is you need to rebuild your theme.
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11680 is a reply to message #11630] Fri, 11 July 2003 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fault, I wasn't installing from the CVS build. I'll do so when I find some time. I'd gladly give you access to my machine, but that's too generous of you. Your hack is very exciting and I look forward to getting it to work!
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11840 is a reply to message #11680] Fri, 18 July 2003 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally getting around to it - where can you download the latest CVS build?

Josh
Re: Email Participation patch [message #11843 is a reply to message #11840] Fri, 18 July 2003 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The lastest CVS build can be obtained from CVS, for instructions read the sticky thread in FUDforum 2.0 forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon10.gif  Re: Email Participation patch [message #11966 is a reply to message #11150] Thu, 24 July 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updated Patch. Now works with MySQL.
Re: Email Participation patch [message #22411 is a reply to message #11966] Tue, 01 February 2005 20:49 Go to previous message
duncanshannon is currently offline  duncanshannon   United States
Hrm, this looks very nice.

There was some discussion in the thread about making it part of the features of FUDForum... did that ever happen?

Is the bottom of this thread still the best place to get the code?

thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2.6.x Recent posts list with date and time
Next Topic: Deny Anonymous Access
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 06 07:05:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02956 seconds