FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » PM:s get length=0
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PM:s get length=0 [message #11745] Wed, 16 July 2003 09:18 Go to next message
sverre is currently offline  sverre   Sweden
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Hi. I'm running 2.3.2 on a FreeBSD machine and yesterday the PM:s sent started not to have any message body. The text gets written into the file, and the table fud_pmsg seems to be correctly updated, except that length is set to 0.
Any ideas what this may be?
The problem appeared after I upgraded the machine to newest mod_php4, so I suspect that is a part of the problem... but how?
Re: PM:s get length=0 [message #11746 is a reply to message #11745] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
First of all try upgrading to 2.3.9RC1 (latest release in the 2.3.X) branch and try again, unless you can/want to upgrade to 2.5.0.
The problem could the result of fwrite or ftell not returning the correct result, but rather returning 0. This a a problem you occasionaly see on systems where there is a limit on the maximum size a file can grow to.
One thing you could try, is to run a message compactor, which will remove some of the unneeded stuff from the data files (where message bodies) are stored reducing their size.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM:s get length=0 [message #11749 is a reply to message #11745] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
I found the problem. By adding "fseek($fp,0,SEEK_END);" to ppost.php/write_pmsg_body() before ftell is used for the first time, the problem disapeared. Seems that the behavior of ftell had changed slightly in the newest php4.

I will soon upgrade to 2.5.0 I think (can see no reason not to).
Thanks
Re: PM:s get length=0 [message #11751 is a reply to message #11749] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Which version of php4 are you using now and which version were you using beforfe?

I do see how your addition fixes the problem, you force php to go to the end of the file. However this operation should not be necessary since
<?php
fopen
("file", "ab");
?>

should place the file pointer at the end of the file.

Since this sort of an addition is not in 2.5.0 you can for now hold off upgrading while I investiage this issue further.

Meanwhile please try the following test script and let me know what are the results.
<?php
$fp
= fopen("test", "w");
fwrite($fp, str_repeat("abc", 1024));
fclose($fp);

$fp = fopen("test", "a");
echo
"Before fseek()\n";
var_dump(ftell($fp), filesize("test"));
fseek($fp, 0, SEEK_END);
echo
"After fseek()\n";
var_dump(ftell($fp), filesize("test"));
fclose($fp);
?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM:s get length=0 [message #11752 is a reply to message #11745] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Here's the result of yout test script:
Before fseek() int(0) int(3072) After fseek() int(3072) int(3072)

I am currently using mod_php4-4.3.3_RC1, but I have no idea what I had before (but I know it was new about 90 days ago).

Re: PM:s get length=0 [message #11753 is a reply to message #11752] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:53 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Hmm that's the same version I am using as well... and interestingly enough I was able to replicate the problem on linux as well.

For now do not upgrade I will investigate the issue further to determine if this is a PHP bug or intended behaviour (comments in php manual by other users indicate that this was the case for a while now) and consider an appropriate solution. For now, use your fix and keep an eye for the 2.5.1 release, which will definately have some sort of a solution to this problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Forum borked after rebuilding theme
Next Topic: Private msgs Online indicator fix
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 19:24:45 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00615 seconds