FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » cache/.htaccess for write
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  cache/.htaccess for write [message #12603] Mon, 18 August 2003 16:11 Go to next message
bitpop is currently offline  bitpop   United States
I'm using os x / apache2 / php4 / mysql.

The above error i get after the first page. i created and chmodded the install and data directory(out of root). All is good on 1) untill next> i then get the error above.

also, downloading the files(zip) when i decompress, i get folders rather than files. In other words, with a couple of the downloads, i get a folder named install.php - rather than the file Confused Once i got one of the tar files all was good. if helpful i'll pay more attention to which and post later.

thanks!pv
Re: cache/.htaccess for write [message #12604 is a reply to message #12603] Mon, 18 August 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Which version of FUDforum did you try to install?

Are you using safe_mode or open_basedir?

FUDforum Core Developer
Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12605 is a reply to message #12603] Mon, 18 August 2003 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the quick reply!

FUDforum_zl_2-5-2.zip

I'm not using safe mode.

php 4.3.2

The forum/cache folder is created but nothing else.

First page has no warning at top...

Not a guru Sad

pop

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 18:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12614 is a reply to message #12605] Mon, 18 August 2003 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Very unusual, what are the permissions of the forum & the forum/cache directories?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12619 is a reply to message #12605] Mon, 18 August 2003 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chmod 777 _DIRECTORY_

I created them both from the terminal...

mkdir root/forum
chmod 777 root/forum

mkdir _underroot_/FUDforum
chmod 777 _underroot_/FUDforum

..or something like that.

Or it would not have been able to create the directory ./cache/, which it did and then died.

??

I've found that dir permission on this, my one and only mac, are quite finicky. I've run a utiility to check them and there always seem to be changes, which makes me antsy, but may or may not have anything to do with this.

Are there others that have installed on the a mac(os x 10.2)? I'm using stuffit expander 7.0. Did you catch the interesting things that happened with the unpacking of some of those compressed files? I'm not clueless but there's a lot i dont know about this.

No worries, thanks,

pop

ps: for the install, i'd suggest a debug page that would kick out all these questions that i'm sure you're tire of answering...there is some on the first page...but perhaps more...just thinking...or even a form that is filled out there and then posted to your site after filling out some of the things that can not be programmed like what zip/tar program i am using...and i'm sure you can think of others.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 20:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12622 is a reply to message #12619] Mon, 18 August 2003 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem you are describing is technically not possible, here is why. When a forum creates a new directory cache, it automatically becomes the owner of this directory and therefor should have the permission to create files inside it. Since this is something from "cannot ever happen" land the error message is rather non-descriptive. More common errors have far better error messages Smile.
I do not believe your Stuffit expander 'broke' the archive since one of the 1st things install.php does is verify the archive validity. If the archive is not valid it won't try to install the forum.

Back to the problem Smile

Please check that the directory 'cache' does infact exist and if it does what are it's permisisons?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12623 is a reply to message #12622] Mon, 18 August 2003 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Or it would not have been able to create the directory ./cache/, which it did and then died.

Impossible? It happened.

I dont know what the permissions are now as i've deleted all. I'll try again some other time.

Lates,
pop

Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12624 is a reply to message #12623] Mon, 18 August 2003 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not saying it is completely impossible, nothing is, but it is highly imporbable.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12734 is a reply to message #12624] Wed, 27 August 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick is currently offline  patrick   Netherlands
Prottos,

I have the same problem.

I tried to install a dummy forum for testing. I was not able to install. See message below:

Couldn't open /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/harro-marjon-forum_data/cache/.htaccess for write
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12735 is a reply to message #12734] Wed, 27 August 2003 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you using a mac?

Paul
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12736 is a reply to message #12735] Wed, 27 August 2003 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Paul. Linux server.

Regards, Patrick
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12779 is a reply to message #12736] Sun, 31 August 2003 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It means that such a file already exists and the installer has no permission to write it it. Either remove the original file or chmod it 666.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12792 is a reply to message #12779] Mon, 01 September 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prottoss,

The file did not exist. It was a newly created structure by the forum install.
I've installed a test forum based on the 2.3.7 install, and that worked fine.

Regards,
Patrick
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #12901 is a reply to message #12792] Thu, 18 September 2003 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did the directory where the forum tried to create the file exist?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #13170 is a reply to message #12901] Tue, 23 September 2003 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it did not.
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #13290 is a reply to message #13170] Sun, 28 September 2003 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any idea Ilia?
Re: Couldn't open [...]Forum/cache/.htaccess for write [message #13293 is a reply to message #13290] Sun, 28 September 2003 20:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does the cache directory exist and does the forum have permission to write to it?

If it does, then make sure that .htaccess does not already exist inside that directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: install.php does nothing
Next Topic: open_basedir limitation
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:16:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02377 seconds