FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Permissions problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Permissions problems [message #12763] Fri, 29 August 2003 18:43 Go to next message
Cyber Coyote is currently offline  Cyber Coyote   United States
Hi, I'm trying to install FF on my remote host, latest php version up there. I upload the install file in it's own folder (thank god, keep reading)and when I first point my browser at it it comes up fine. the files are chmodded to the 777.

When I hit next for the first time, I get an internal server error. This is a problem with my server settings. I've dealt with them before and they reccomended in a different situation (installing phpbb2 from cpanel on their server the same error came up, the error log reports: warning, file is writable by others)chmod settings of 700. Didn't work then, won't work now. I was able to install phpbb2 manually mind you with no errors.

Heading back,I no longer have ANY access to the folder install is in or install, the server spitting back that I do not have access to these files. Even set at 777 it tells me this. I've had to delete the file and folder (proving I have access)and reinstall them to get to part 1 again.

It's probably something funky with my host, but if there is any work around to try I'll be glad to give it a go. I really like Fud and am looking forward to using it if I can figure this out...

edited after the fact: Hmm, my ftp client wasn't properly altering the permissions, but I was able to do so in cpanel. Still getting the generic errors, though. Might be a complete server issue that can't be helped/fixed from my end.

Cyber Coyote

[Updated on: Fri, 29 August 2003 18:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Permissions problems [message #12764 is a reply to message #12763] Fri, 29 August 2003 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoo-hoo! As an added bonus, whatever the install php did, NONE of my php enabled proggies are working, the same error! What the??????????

Cyber Coyote
Re: Permissions problems [message #12780 is a reply to message #12764] Sun, 31 August 2003 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
remove .htaccess file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Permissions problems [message #12786 is a reply to message #12763] Sun, 31 August 2003 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It turned out my ftp client, ws_ftp95le, wasn't changing permissions as it claimed to be doing. Using cpanel I was able to change permissions back on my phpbb2 files.

With no files currently in my FUDforum folder I've nothing to actually remove. Should I upload and run install/remove the .htaccess file/ then proceed to the second screen (where the problems occurred?) Or was removing the .htaccess just a fix for attempting to restore my original chmod settings?

Cyber Coyote

[Updated on: Sun, 31 August 2003 19:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Permissions problems [message #12899 is a reply to message #12786] Thu, 18 September 2003 14:13 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you fixed the permissions for .htaccess you can go ahead and install the forum without any 'hacks'.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: install problem - on line 354
Next Topic: PHP 2.1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:54:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03013 seconds