FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Ask to join a group - is that feature present?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Ask to join a group - is that feature present? [message #13530] Thu, 16 October 2003 13:56 Go to next message
StarLight{PL} is currently offline  StarLight{PL}   Poland
I've dig through the changelog, and didn't notice the feature being added Sad Did it fell out of the release? Sad Maybe I've missed it?

It's a really cool feature if You have more than one closed forum. Here's how I would see the implementation:

Users cannot see groups. Instead, if this is a closed forum, they have a link to ask to join to the forum (no need for group names and such). In reality they would be joining the group controlling the forum, and the Group Leader task would be only to confirm and activate their membership in a group.

Yes, I know that one group can control more than one forum, but I would leave that "problem" to the admins to carefully create and arrange groups in a logical way.

Group Leaders can be disguised as mod's Wink. There's no need for users to see them anyway and if there is a problem they can contact the mod.

best regards,
StarLight{PL}
Re: Ask to join a group - is that feature present? [message #13531 is a reply to message #13530] Thu, 16 October 2003 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This feature was not added, because the discussion regarding this feature lead to a conclusion that it is not necessary.

If a forum is private is not visible to the user (in most cases, unless visible permission is retained), so the user does not even know such a forum exists.

FUDforum Core Developer
Odp: Ask to join a group - is that feature present? [message #13551 is a reply to message #13530] Fri, 17 October 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarLight{PL} is currently offline  StarLight{PL}   Poland
That's a pity, really, because the forums are closed and visible on purpose. The meaning is - If You join the project, You will have access. Having these forums invisible is also bad because people have to see that such places exists where information on that particular project is exchanged when they enter the main forum.
Also the process of adding to the group is simly inconvinient and time consuming when You add more than one person.

And true, if You are running simple forums it is unnecessary, but, if you start messing with closed ones the default behavior simply starts to be annoing.

Even good-old-ubb had that feature... Because of my strong lobbying we migrated to FUD Wink. And now it's time to dig that old hacking tools of mine (joe, putty and alot of patience Wink ) from the closet again Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2003 07:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Odp: Ask to join a group - is that feature present? [message #13554 is a reply to message #13551] Fri, 17 October 2003 12:03 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is a very good reason why to not show hidden forums and that is to prevent sometime annoying users from bothering the admins to give them access to resources they shouldn't have access to.
Having a forum to which person does not have access to but can see it's existance also creates a feeling of being left out on the part of the user.

On the backend side FUDforum does have begginings of this functionality (relavent sql fields) but for the reasons listed above that never materialized into the functionality that you want. That said, if you can eliviate my concerns regarding the above mentioned issues and perphaps show that there is interest on behalf of other users I would be willing to make such functionality possible.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Newsletter-type feature
Next Topic: Pagination nav bar at the top of msg
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:56:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02561 seconds