FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » newsgroups!?!
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
newsgroups!?! [message #14558] Mon, 17 November 2003 17:56 Go to next message
ernstl is currently offline  ernstl   Austria
i want to integrate some newsgroups into my forum ( http://usbdeluxe.homeip.net/users02/ernstl/ff ) but it somehow doesn't work...

is there maybe a newsgroup (with server) where i could test this feature?

could someone gimme the EXACT details on what to enter to get the newsgroup thing working??

btw. i LOVE fudforum it has amazing features Smile
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #14562 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 17 November 2003 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
try news.php.net news server. Also, be sure to unlock the forum before trying to import any new messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #14565 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 17 November 2003 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ernstl is currently offline  ernstl   Austria
unlocking the forum(s)?

what do you mean???
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #14569 is a reply to message #14565] Mon, 17 November 2003 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The admin control panel "Unlock Forum files".

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #14570 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 17 November 2003 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hy2jinxnc is currently offline  hy2jinxnc   United States

It's quite easy and is detailed in the documentation.
http://fud.prohost.org/doc/d/html/admin.newsgroup.manager.html
Create one forum per newsgroup. Then use Newsgroup Manger to fill in the information, most of which is exactly what you would put into a newsreader. Once it is created, look at the bottom for "Exec Line". This tells you what to feed the php executable to import messages. Where the php executable is depends on how your web server is setup (try "which php" if you have shell access). You will need that location to verify or fix the first line of:
[FUDdata_dir]\scripts\nntp.php

Note that by default FUD's nntp import script tries to bring in all messages available. If you want to start at a particular spot you'll need to put the starting post's number in the file:
[FUDdata_dir]\errors\.nntp\[news_server_name]-[group_name]
You can find that number using your news reader and looking at the headers (typically the Xref header) or by telneting to port 119 on the news server (if you feel comfortable using a telnet interface).

If you want to only import X number of messages each time the nntp.php script is run, you will need to modify:
[FUDdata_dir]\include\nntp.inc
If your web host limits the amount of time a script can run (30 seconds for me), limiting the number of messages it imports at one time or having it write the current message id as it goes (so the place it is on isn't lost) is the best strategy I have found. If you need help with either of those I can give you what I have done, but can't say it is the best way to do it.. just what works for me.

Once the initial import is complete you will need to setup a cron job to run the script at specified intervals. I think it is best to run the inital import by hand, via telnet or ssh if you don't have the server locally available and do have shell access, if possible. Example:
/[path]/[to]/php /[path]/[to]/[FUDdata]/scripts/nntp.php 1
Then you know exactly what to use for the cron job. Note that the cron job is only for import of new messages not posted via the forum and that anything posted via the forum will go directly to the news server as soon as it is posted, if "Synchronize Forum Posts to Newsgroup" is "Yes" and "Moderate Posts" is "No". If you are only making an archive and do not need to keep looking for new posts, then the cron job is not needed or only needed once.
icon5.gif  Re: newsgroups!?! [message #15100 is a reply to message #14570] Tue, 02 December 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vania is currently offline  vania   Australia
Hi there,

I'm still confused.
Do I need to have an existing nntp daemon running on port 119 before I can enable the newsgroup in FUDforum?

If that is the case;
I installed rpm packages:
cleanfeed, inews and inn
First attempt to start the innd daemon it asked me this:
Please run makehistory and/or makedbz before starting innd.

I'm stuck because makehistory return no error and makedbz return error "Can't do dbzagain, no such file or directory"

This means innd will not start.

Any quick solution to this? or this is not the right way.

Thanks.

V.L

Re: newsgroups!?! [message #15104 is a reply to message #15100] Tue, 02 December 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In order for the forum to import messages from newsgroups (NNTP) it needs to connect to a working NNTP server with messages. How you get that server is up to you, however you do not need to run a NNTP server of your own for this.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18442 is a reply to message #14558] Sat, 22 May 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jimmy is currently offline  Jimmy   Australia
ive got everything installed but still cant get any newsgroups to show up. I have unlocked the forum, tested and added a newsgroup server and group, associated that with a forum.
I then made a crontab file containing the exec command etc and loaded it using putty. It doesnt work for me though, how do i run the script manually? i tried using telnet doing this -

/home/virtual/site10/fst/var/www/html/forum/scripts/nntp.php 1

but only get the following error -

/home/virtual/site10/fst/var/www/html/forum/scripts/nntp.php: line 3: `set_time_limit(600);

i got that same error for script lines before the abovementioned so i deleted the offending ones, they were the comment tags, all that did was make 'set time limit' look corrupt as well.

any ideas?
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18445 is a reply to message #18442] Sun, 23 May 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try running the script like this:

php /home/virtual/site10/fst/var/www/html/forum/scripts/nntp.php 1

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18840 is a reply to message #14558] Sun, 13 June 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanyou that worked for me Very Happy
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18842 is a reply to message #14558] Sun, 13 June 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...well everything was working fine, i tested a few times and all worked but then when i changed the category name and deleted the test forum i get the following error when running nntp.php -

(/home/virtual/site10/fst/var/www/html/forum/include/theme/default/db.inc) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1<br />
Query: SELECT id, forum_opt, message_threshold, (max_attach_size * 1024) AS max_attach_size, max_file_attachments FROM fud26_forum WHERE id=<br />
Server Version: 3.23.56<br />

---------------------------------------------------------

the newsgroup setup was pointing to the new forum, nothing else changed but now in telnet i get the above error, any ideas?
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18846 is a reply to message #18842] Sun, 13 June 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like your import rule is broken or your entering the wrong id of the import rule.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18852 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 14 June 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can i fix this?
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18856 is a reply to message #18852] Mon, 14 June 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to edit the existing import rule or create a new one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18942 is a reply to message #14558] Fri, 18 June 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i shouldve said i already tried that several times
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #18949 is a reply to message #18942] Fri, 18 June 2004 13:23 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, there is clearly a problem with your import rule as it cannot find the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Disable RSS from one forum of a group
Next Topic: Is „PHP as a cgi-wrapper” instead of „PHP as apache module” a problem?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 20:14:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02751 seconds