FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » NNTP suggestions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP suggestions [message #15550] Thu, 18 December 2003 20:43 Go to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
I was playing with the NNTP feature, and it seems really good, except that I think it's missing a few things.

1. There seems to be no way to reset the "last fetched" message index, so that all messages will be re-fetched from the NNTP server from the beginning. This is necessary when you want to rebuild the forum from scratch.

2. It would be helpful to have automatic deletion of old posts after X number of days.

3. I ran into one case where it duplicated all the posts. I read the data from the server, made a few changes to the forum's configuration, read the data again, and suddenly there were two copies of each message. (This is actually what brought about my request for #1.)

4. Replies created in FUDforum and posted via NNTP don't seem to have all the headers necessary for them to get threaded by all news readers. I think you need to add the "References:" header.
Re: NNTP suggestions [message #15551 is a reply to message #15550] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you remove all files from .nntp directory which can be found inside errors directory all messages will be refetched on the next run.

Use topic prunning to remove old posts if you need do.

I'll need to check on the References header, it should be sent.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: NNTP suggestions [message #15555 is a reply to message #15551] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
Thanks for the suggestion about removing the .nntp files. It worked great.

I think that the reason for the duplicated messages might have been that I switched the server name from one server to another alias for the same server. Then, when it read the data, it created a seecond set of .nntp files. I don't know if you can (or should) do anything about this or not.

When it comes to newsgroups, it's especially important to prune them regularly, since they can get very large very quickly. Maybe you could add a script (to be run by a cron job) that could do the pruning automatically? I'm sure some people would find this equally useful for other forums.
Re: NNTP suggestions [message #15557 is a reply to message #15555] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you change the name of the nntp server there is really no way to resume unless you manually rename to control file to match the new newsgroup name.

As far as automatic deletion, I don't think it's useful. Most people who use NNTP gateway with FUD use it to provide both a web interface to a newsgroup as well as a searcheable newsgroup archive. If you must delete you can use the admprune control panel and with minimum effort (remove the admin authentication) you can make it into a cronable PHP script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: NNTP suggestions [message #167927 is a reply to message #15557] Wed, 14 November 2012 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THUFIR is currently offline  THUFIR   Canada
Ilia wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 13:32
If you change the name of the nntp server there is really no way to resume unless you manually rename to control file to match the new newsgroup name.

As far as automatic deletion, I don't think it's useful. Most people who use NNTP gateway with FUD use it to provide both a web interface to a newsgroup as well as a searcheable newsgroup archive. If you must delete you can use the admprune control panel and with minimum effort (remove the admin authentication) you can make it into a cronable PHP script.

Do you mean gateway or frontend? To me, gateway would mean NNTP <--> something, whereas frontend just means a web interface to NNTP.
Re: NNTP suggestions [message #167985 is a reply to message #167927] Mon, 03 December 2012 11:19 Go to previous message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   Italy
Please, can I know which NNTP server you use?
My server provider creates me many problems because they want only a personal occasionally access and with FUDF obviously there is instead a continue access from only one account but for many users.

Thanks in advance

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Some Problems After Upgrading From 2.7.7 to 3.0.4
Next Topic: Javascript gets executed if importet with NNTP
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 04 08:31:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02408 seconds