FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Automatically quote when replying
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Automatically quote when replying [message #15556] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:30 Go to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
In other forums I've used, clicking on the Reply button will automatically quote the original poster's message in the reply textbox. I think this would be a useful thing to add, perhaps also with a user/admin option to turn it completely on or off.
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15558 is a reply to message #15556] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You got a QUOTE button for a reason y'know Smile.

Actually many people don't even like quote button, because if often results in superbly long messages Everyone keeps quoting & quoting making every message be larger then the message it replies to.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15560 is a reply to message #15558] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, then maybe it's the browser I'm using (Safari, for which you only just fixed a problem I reported with FUDcode buttons.) If I press the Quote button it inserts the tags, but doesn't quote the original message.

Is it supposed to? If not, then I end up having to scroll down, then copy, then scroll up, then paste, which isn't anywhere near as convenient.

By the way, I hope you don't mind my flood of suggestions. I'm in the process of evaluating products for use on a college campus, and so far yours is the only free program that has all of the features we need.
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15562 is a reply to message #15560] Thu, 18 December 2003 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Because Safari does not support selection detection, any FUD tags are added at the end of the text.

In Mozilla & IE this works correctly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15563 is a reply to message #15562] Thu, 18 December 2003 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

perhaps add an option to only quote last level of quote, and also transform img-tags to url-tags
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15564 is a reply to message #15563] Thu, 18 December 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It won't always work as expected. I think the current implementation where you have quote & reply is ideal.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatically quote when replying [message #15571 is a reply to message #15564] Fri, 19 December 2003 14:52 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 18 December 2003 18:45

It won't always work as expected. I think the current implementation where you have quote & reply is ideal.

Confused I don't know how, but I missed the "Quote" button in the thread view. (I thought you meant the FUDcode quote button.)

As Emily Litella would say, "Oh...Well, in the case...Nevermind".
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: GIF vs PNG
Next Topic: Style of email notifications
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:22:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02994 seconds