FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » NNTP posts work for a while, then stop
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158061] Sun, 25 January 2009 07:19 Go to next message
mvanlamz is currently offline  mvanlamz   
Hello!

We configured FUDforum to mirror 8 newsgroups, and althought it continues to pull down articles from the newsgroup to the FUDforum group, it will not post articles to the newsgroup that are created on the FUDforum group.

The weird thing is that it worked for a few days, then stopped.

There are no errors in the error log.

What do you think?

Mike van Lammeren
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158062 is a reply to message #158061] Sun, 25 January 2009 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Please check for errors in your data/error/.nntp/error_log file.

It will also help if you can add debugging code to the "post_message" function in file "nntp.inc" to see where it chokes.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158074 is a reply to message #158062] Tue, 27 January 2009 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the tip about the error log. I was apparently looking at the wrong error log, earlier.

Here is the error we are getting:
Posting Failed, NNTP Server Said: 441 From: address not in Internet syntax
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158075 is a reply to message #158074] Tue, 27 January 2009 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

Please apply this patch:
Index: nntp.inc
===================================================================
RCS file: /forum21/install/forum_data/include/nntp.inc,v
retrieving revision 1.76
diff -u -r1.76 nntp.inc
--- nntp.inc    22 Jan 2009 21:00:02 -0000      1.76
+++ nntp.inc    27 Jan 2009 10:36:55 -0000
@@ -570,7 +570,7 @@
                fputs($this->fs, ".\r\n");

if (!$this->compare_return_codes(240)) {
-                       $this->error = "Posting Failed, NNTP Server Said: ".$this->lrc."\n";
+                       $this->error = "Posting Failed, NNTP Server Said: ".$this->lrc."\nFROM=[".$from."]\n";
                        $this->exit_handler(0);
                        return;
                }

When done, please simulate the problem and report the new error message (with FROM-line ) here.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158076 is a reply to message #158075] Wed, 28 January 2009 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

This is how the error looks now:

Posting Failed, NNTP Server Said: 441 From: address not in Internet syntax

FROM=[Mike van Lammeren <mike[at]van[dot]lammeren[dot]net>]

Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158077 is a reply to message #158076] Wed, 28 January 2009 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That explains it. You need to disable Obfuscate e-mails in NNTP posts (NNTP_OBFUSCATE_EMAIL) form Global Settings Manager in the Admin Control Panel.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158078 is a reply to message #158077] Wed, 28 January 2009 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome! It works now! Thanks!

Mike van Lammeren
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158079 is a reply to message #158078] Wed, 28 January 2009 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Great! Thank you for the feedback.

Maybe we should move this setting from the Global Settings Manager to the Newsgroup Manager. What do you think?
Re: NNTP posts work for a while, then stop [message #158080 is a reply to message #158079] Wed, 28 January 2009 06:24 Go to previous message
There are so many options in FUDforum, that I doubt I would have found it by myself in either place!

I'm not too familiar with the NNTP protocol, so I have a question. Are there any NNTP servers that would accept the obfuscated email addresses? During my testing, I configured newsgroups for two different nntp servers. As it happens, neither one liked the obfuscated email addresses. Maybe it shouldn't even be possible to send such an email to an NNTP server? The addresses could still be obfuscated where displayed on pages.

I'm just very glad that it works so well, now!

Thanks again!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Backup import woes
Next Topic: Auto Delete Posts/Topics After Expiry
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:08:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02129 seconds