FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Cross posting and word wrapping
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Cross posting and word wrapping [message #158165] Thu, 05 February 2009 21:02 Go to next message
johnmusbach is currently offline  johnmusbach   United States
Hi, I'm using FUDforums as a forum interface for a NNTP service me and a group of friends are utilizing to communicate so that we can read posts on our NNTP server on the go. I've gotten most of the issues that were present with integrating FUDforums into our environment ironed out but there are still a couple pressing issues that I need help resolving. They are:

* Cross posting - sometimes we want to post to multiple groups and would like the ability to do so in FUDforums in the form of being able to post to multiple forums at once with the same timestamp and message ID. Additionally we'd like it if FUDforums was able to abide by "follow up to" headers.
* Word wrapping - Posts look fine in NNTP clients like Thunderbird but in the majority of terminal NNTP clients the posts just flow in one line. We have tried using php's wordwrap function but it mangled quotes in a undesired way.

Does anyone have any mods that'd resolve those above issues? If not, I may be willing to pay for such mods to be developed depending on the requested price. I can pay via PayPal.

Thanks! Smile
Re: Cross posting and word wrapping [message #158167 is a reply to message #158165] Fri, 06 February 2009 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
johnmusbach wrote on Thu, 05 February 2009 16:02
* Word wrapping - Posts look fine in NNTP clients like Thunderbird but in the majority of terminal NNTP clients the posts just flow in one line. We have tried using php's wordwrap function but it mangled quotes in a undesired way.

Does anyone have any mods that'd resolve those above issues? If not, I may be willing to pay for such mods to be developed depending on the requested price. I can pay via PayPal.

Thanks! Smile

Hello,

I had the same issue and got similar complaints from some of my users. I fixed it by changing line 557 in include/nntp.inc (verion 2.7)

from

fputs($this->fs, "\r\n$body\r\n");

to

fputs($this->fs, wordwrap( "\r\n$body\r\n" ) );

Use at your own risk. It worked well for me.

James.
Re: Cross posting and word wrapping [message #158171 is a reply to message #158167] Fri, 06 February 2009 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks James!

I'm tempted to commit this to the code base. However, it would be great if someone else can also test it before we do so.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Cross posting and word wrapping [message #158177 is a reply to message #158165] Fri, 06 February 2009 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnmusbach is currently offline  johnmusbach   United States
I've modified my code as suggested by James and will let you guys know if the terminal NNTP client users stop complaining. Smile I'd still like to have a mod that acknowladges "follow up to" headers and allows one to select multiple forums to crosspost to when posting which'd cause the post to be posted to the groups each forum is linked to with the same message ID and timestamp. I can probably pay for this mod.
Re: Cross posting and word wrapping [message #158185 is a reply to message #158171] Sat, 07 February 2009 00:49 Go to previous message
Marticus   United States
naudefj wrote on Fri, 06 February 2009 00:17
I'm tempted to commit this to the code base. However, it would be great if someone else can also test it before we do so.

I would hope that all commits are first tested Smile Don't give in to temptation.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to Setup Permissions
Next Topic: Automatic pruning
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:08:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02802 seconds