FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158280] Sat, 14 February 2009 19:58 Go to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
very minor thing, but when sorting member list by date, the sort seem to be following some other criteria (date of addition to database, perhaps?) than the date listed as their join date - see attachment.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 February 2009 20:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158312 is a reply to message #158280] Tue, 17 February 2009 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is the patch: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11869

PS: If you apply the patch manually, remember to also create the new index on your DB.
Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158324 is a reply to message #158312] Wed, 18 February 2009 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent, thanks Frank - that will help sort the data that's coming in.

I'm afraid I've never applied a patch in any way but manually, and Googling around doesn't offer much help; it seems it's just one of those things that one's assumed to know enough about php to know how to do - whereas I'm just a FUDForum end user trying to figure out what I need to know as I go along. I really hesitate to muck around figuring out how to create an index by trial and error in the forum databases - how *should* I be applying these patches?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 February 2009 08:00]

Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158326 is a reply to message #158324] Wed, 18 February 2009 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Applying patches is easy (once you get used to it) and isn't FUDforum specific. This article should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)

You can execute the SQL from phpMyAdmin (select your DB & click on the SQL icon). If you don't have it installed, run it from mysql's command line.
Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158341 is a reply to message #158326] Wed, 18 February 2009 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That got me pointed in the right direction - thanks Frank, I hope to be able to do it properly from here on.

Say Frank - you're simplifying things and writing very explicit theme manipulation info, and when you give specific instructions they're pretty easy to follow rather than cryptic and terse and based on an obvious assumption of background - it sure looks to me like you're making it a high priority to make FUDForum easier for non-code-savvy end-users like myself to install and run. This is, obviously, a Good Thing.

So I know this might seem pretty dumb and basic stuff, but when you have a moment could you (or someone else) expand this slightly and put up a sticky in "How To" about "Applying Patches In Eight Easy Steps For Complete Beginners" (with appropriate warnings, of course) that assumes a complete lack of background? Your instructions here are *perfect* for that as far as they go, all that's missing for the sticky are a couple of steps made a bit more "For Dummies" explicit [what do we do once we've got that window open? Type a command? What comnmand? Direct it to a file or paste in text? What visual confirmation will we get of success?]

[Updated on: Wed, 18 February 2009 17:57]

Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158346 is a reply to message #158341] Thu, 19 February 2009 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Will this do?
http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Applying_patches
Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158347 is a reply to message #158346] Thu, 19 February 2009 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much perfect! One suggested tweak, many users like myself aren't installing on a local machine; we're using services like Hostmonster.

Are you thinking of talking with folks like SimpleScripts? I've installed several packages through them - two phpBBs and a Wiki - and if FUDForum had been available through it then that's the route I'd have taken.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 February 2009 08:25]

Re: Small bug - "Members" list does not sort by join date. [message #158356 is a reply to message #158347] Thu, 19 February 2009 18:30 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll contact them to see if they are interested.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Don't login
Next Topic: USENET sync breaks and goes into endless cycle when it encounters attachment
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 07 05:22:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02424 seconds