FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » various validation and cosmetic issues
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158830] Wed, 01 April 2009 20:20 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I have noticed some validation issues (particular within user control panel, help and post form) and tried to fix them. While being at it I also made some cosmetic changes. You will find a detailed list of suggested changes below and the corresponding patches in the attached archive. Hopefully they are good enough to be included into FUDforum.

There are some things I could not fix. For example, lists ([LIST][*]item[/LIST]) do not seem to be transformed into valid XHTML. Among other things, the W3C validator expects <li> tags to be closed by </li>. Unfortunately I didn't understand fully how these lists are parsed.

drawmsg.diff
- fix some validation issues related to the display of attachments and polls
msg.diff
- small validation fixes
- remove dot from option name (consistency)
- small cosmetic change related to the display of the number of currently attached files
post_common.diff
- fix validation issues related to attachments
- separate max number of files and number of currently attached files by a semicolon
- change Kb to KB (consistency)
ps_cache, sp_cache
- HTML -> XHTML
post_proc.diff
- attempt to fix validation issues related to spoilers
ppost.diff
- show "Private Messaging ยป Writing a Private Message" below the tab row (more consistent in my opinion)
register.diff
- remove a javascript related to the ICQ notifications (not supported anymore as far as I know) which also fixes validation
uc.diff:
- fix validation issues on "Notifications" tab in user control panel
usermaintance.diff, boardusage.diff, readingposting.diff
- some validation fixes
- separate help topics consistently by one empty line
- some changes in help texts to improve consistency a bit

[Updated on: Wed, 01 April 2009 20:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158831 is a reply to message #158830] Wed, 01 April 2009 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Wow, I'm impressed. Sincere thanks for your time and effort. I will start committing your patches tomorrow.

PS: The only two that cannot be committed is ps_cache and sp_cache. These files are not re-created when you upgrade. You may still have some old files from prior versions on your system.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158832 is a reply to message #158830] Wed, 01 April 2009 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I don't think ps_cache and sp_cache are related to an old installation sincy my patches should be based on a fresh installation of FUDforum. It looks like there are default smiley caches in CVS.
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158833 is a reply to message #158832] Thu, 02 April 2009 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, you are right. Thanks.

I see you've removed some JavaScript from register.tmpl. Was this intentional?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158834 is a reply to message #158830] Thu, 02 April 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, it was. I think the JavaScript is related to ICQ notifications that have been removed from FUDforum some time ago since they were not working properly. Apart from that, the JavaScript caused a validation error on that page.
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #158837 is a reply to message #158834] Fri, 03 April 2009 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Patch committed. See http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11906
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #159249 is a reply to message #158830] Fri, 15 May 2009 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I am currently looking trough the Admin Control Panel and found some small issues. This are the results I have so far:

widgets.inc
- make creation of checkboxes XHTML compliant
admmysql.php
- fix a typo
admannounce.php, admplugins.php, consist.php
- fix validation problems
admclose.html
- W3C validator is confused by the JavaScript, enclose it in comments
index.tmpl, msg
- suggestion for visually improved display of forums with url redirection
admsql.php
- some improvements to the output of the SQL Manager (better error messages and prevent large results running off the screen)
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #159252 is a reply to message #159249] Sat, 16 May 2009 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Many thanks for the patches:

* widgets.inc - applied
* admmysql.php - applied
* admannounce.php - applied
* admplugins.php - applied
* consist.php - applied
* admclose.html - variation applied
* admsql.php - not applied. We cannot use mysql_query as it will break pgsql & sqlite support. Patch needs re-factoring.

Do you mind if we leave this for the 2.8.2 release?
* index.tmpl
* msg

Best regards.

Frank
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #159520 is a reply to message #159252] Sun, 07 June 2009 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Patches for index.tmpl and msg were committed. For details, see http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11935
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160691 is a reply to message #158830] Tue, 13 October 2009 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I hope I can re-use this topic for some further patches that mostly deal with some warnings shown on a shared hosting environment.

install.php
- Surpress a warning related to realpath() call in line 1085 that could be shown in case open_basedir restrictions are in effect.
- Fixed a minor typo.

admplugins.diff
- Surpress a warning related to ini_set() call in line 13. The function could be disabled.

admsysinfo.diff
- Surpress a warning related to php_uname() in line 47. The function could be disabled.
- Introduce spaces into the enumeration of disabled functions so browsers can break the lines.

mem_limit.diff
- Surpress a warning related to ini_set() call in line 17. The function could be disabled.
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160695 is a reply to message #160691] Wed, 14 October 2009 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks! Patches were applied as per http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=12050

Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160747 is a reply to message #158830] Tue, 20 October 2009 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I don't want to open a new topic for it. May I ask why this was changed in install/forum_data/include/adm.inc (1.43 -> 1.44)?

-	define('__adm_rsid', _rsidl.'&amp;SQ='.$GLOBALS['sq']);
+	define('__adm_rsid', _rsidl.'&SQ='.$GLOBALS['sq']);

This change seems to cause some validation errors, because the & should be encoded as &amp;. Also, __adm_rsid and __adm_rsidl are the same now.
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160750 is a reply to message #160747] Wed, 21 October 2009 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If I remember correctly the change allowed some of the pop-up windows to return to their corresponding control panels instead of exiting the ACP completely. How do we proceed with this?
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160776 is a reply to message #158830] Fri, 23 October 2009 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
The issue seems to be with pop-ups opened in File Manager. It looks like we shouldn't encode & as &amp; when setting window.opener.location because this value seems to be used directly for the HTTP request.
I have attached a patch that makes the corresponding changes hopefully it will fix the problem.

admbrowse.diff
- don't encode & when setting window.opener.location
- fix time shown in directory listing (Windows does not seem to know %T)
header.diff
- fix charset declaration in Admin Control Panel
admaccapr.diff
- attempt to improve the information shown on account approval
index.diff, admplugins.diff
- fix validation problems
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #160788 is a reply to message #160776] Fri, 23 October 2009 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All your patched were applied, I've just removed the footer you've added to admplugin.php. The standard help link is not applicable here (plugins can specify a custom help URL; may not be on our wiki).

Details: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=12061
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161027 is a reply to message #158830] Tue, 10 November 2009 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Do you think that the mentioned change concerning __adm_rsid in install/forum_data/include/adm.inc can be reverted now? Like I said it would fix some validation issues. I hope the problems with the pop-ups has been fixed with my previous patches.

On this occasion I would like to mention some smaller problems I have noticed in the meantime:
1) It seems that the English theme misses an default value for text direction. During theme compilation the following warning appears:
Quote:
Warning: file_get_contents(E:/xampp/htdocs/FUDforum/thm/default/i18n/english/dir) [<a href='function.file-get-contents'>function.file-get-contents</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in E:\xampp\htdocs\FUDforum\include\compiler.inc on line 682

2) I think create_file_list should be adjusted to keep SVN information out of the installer archive:
Index: create_file_list
===================================================================
--- create_file_list	(revision 4862)
+++ create_file_list	(working copy)
@@ -28,7 +28,7 @@
 		}

while (($f = readdir($d))) {
-			if ($f == '.' || $f == '..' || $f == 'CVS') continue;
+			if ($f == '.' || $f == '..' || $f == '.svn') continue;

if (is_file($v . "/" . $f)) {
 				$fdata = file_get_contents($v . "/" . $f);

[Updated on: Tue, 10 November 2009 23:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161035 is a reply to message #161027] Wed, 11 November 2009 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Jan,

These are all good changes.

I've granted you commit access to the SF repository. You are welcome to commit these yourself. If you don't get to it, I'll do it later this week.

PS: Commit instruction are on the wiki at SVN.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161038 is a reply to message #158830] Wed, 11 November 2009 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Thank you for making me a project member.

I have tried to commit the mentioned changes and hopefully I haven't made mistakes. It has been the first commit I ever made.
Re: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161055 is a reply to message #161038] Thu, 12 November 2009 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It looks all good to me. I trust we will see many more commits from you in future.
Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161726 is a reply to message #158830] Mon, 01 February 2010 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have been very silent lately, sorry for that. Over the last days I had a closer look at the current development version. I prepared a patch that incorporates some suggestions and fixes. Hopefully they are regarded as helpful.

First I noticed that the installation fails because of SQL syntax errors related to the calendar. It seems that MySQL doesn't like "desc" as column name because it is a reserved keyword. I renamed it to "evtdesc" for now - not sure whether it is a good name, but at least it fixes the issue for me. I also converted def_calendar.sql to Unix file endings because it seems the installer can parse this better then.

Apart from that the following changes are included in the patch:

General
- fix various validation issues and typos
- attempt to fix some charset issues and problems with %e modifier for strftime on Windows

Forum
- fix some warnings and notices during registration and while moving of topics
- sync default smiley cache with default content of the database
- Find User: enlarge window so that page fits also with German localization without scroll bars
- Avatar Selection Form: make button translatable
- Moderation Queue: attempt to make some visual improvements
- Calendar: get month names from locale and make a button translatable
- changed search in forum header so that Opera shows description for "F" access key

Admin Control Panel
- don't throw JavaScript error if no H2 element is present on page
- Forum Statistics: fix some notices
- Icon selection: fix some warnings
- Orphaned Forums: don't show "Reassign" button if there are no categories
- MIME/Avatar/Smiley Management System: improve loading of preview image via JavaScript
- User Administration System: use salt when changing passwords
- Filters (E-mail, IP, Login, File): Improved and unified display of defined filters
- MySQL Character Set Adjuster: Show success message after conversion is done
- Add user: fix error handling
- Message Editor: fix downloading of messages from TranslateWiki
- File Administration System: improve error handling while removing of directories; add year to date information; hide Owner/Group columns on Windows

Plugins
- don't use LDAP plugin in case it is not supported by PHP installation (attempt to avoid fatal PHP error during login that could be triggered because of undefined ldap_* functions)

Help
- Access Keys: Updated section regarding browser support and added "F" key for forum search
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161739 is a reply to message #161726] Tue, 02 February 2010 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thank Jan! I always enjoy reviewing your patches. It's good to have a second pair of eyes on the code. I am relatively swamped at this moment, please allow a week or two for me to work through all your changes.
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161798 is a reply to message #161739] Sun, 07 February 2010 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
OK, here we go. Most of it looks great. Below is a list of commits and some questions/issues:

Committed:

Plugin updates - http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4901&view=rev

Help access keys - http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4902&view=rev

ACP updates - http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4903&view=rev

Templates and rest of it - http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4904&view=rev

Follow-up:

1) Please review patch against avatarsel.php.t. What's the intention? '&' should probably be '&&'.

2) utf8_encode converts ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. We need to find out if this will cause problems for languages not using ISO-8859?

3) I will review the date format changes later.

4) Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161808 is a reply to message #161798] Mon, 08 February 2010 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Another commit: Sync default smiley cache with default content of the database (patch by JanRei).

http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4905&view=rev
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161819 is a reply to message #161798] Wed, 10 February 2010 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
naudefj wrote:
Follow-up:

1) Please review patch against avatarsel.php.t. What's the intention? '&' should probably be '&&'.

2) utf8_encode converts ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. We need to find out if this will cause problems for languages not using ISO-8859?

3) I will review the date format changes later.

Addressed as part of http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4906&view=rev
Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161830 is a reply to message #158830] Thu, 11 February 2010 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I merged your changes with mine and it seems that these changes were not applied (see remaining_changes.diff):
- IP Browser: charset issue with error message returned by fsockopen (probably this issue also affects only Windows)
- Forum Statistics: fix some notices
- Icon selection: fix some warnings
- Replacement and Censorship System: fix some validation issues
- Calendar: small validation fix
- File Administration System: add year to date information; improve XHTML validity of popup window

The installer still aborts on my system while setting up MySQL tables. I think it could be related to file endings of def_calendar.sql because after converting it to the Linux format it seems to work fine. Maybe you could have look at it.

Apart from that I attached also a patch for the German help files to incorporate the updates for the section about access keys (see bordusage_german.diff).
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161848 is a reply to message #161830] Sat, 13 February 2010 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Jan,

You can commit bordusage_german.diff.

I will review the rest later. For example, we need to remove the popup header from admbrowse.php and reuse the header in header.php. Maybe something like:

define('popup',1);
include header.php;
include footer.php;

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161880 is a reply to message #161848] Tue, 16 February 2010 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I trust this will take care of the remaining patches - http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=4909&view=rev
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161882 is a reply to message #161880] Tue, 16 February 2010 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, this seems to cover most of the patches. I came across some additional things and attached a new patch. It should fix some some small typos and validation issues. Apart from that I added access keys for previewing and submitting quick reply.

I also committed the changes for the German help now.
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161883 is a reply to message #161882] Tue, 16 February 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Jan,

Looks good. You can commit it. The only possible improvement is to include {header_plain} (from header.tmpl) in coppa_fax.tmpl. But if you cannot, it is fine as-is.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161914 is a reply to message #161883] Sat, 20 February 2010 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Done, I hope everything is okay.
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161917 is a reply to message #161914] Sat, 20 February 2010 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Perfect!

You may also want to summarize your changes (high level) at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/FUDforum_3.0.1
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161955 is a reply to message #161917] Wed, 24 February 2010 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I added some changes, but I am not sure whether my summary is good.
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #161961 is a reply to message #161955] Thu, 25 February 2010 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No, it's not good. It is excellent Smile
Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #162152 is a reply to message #158830] Fri, 26 March 2010 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I made some additional minor changes to fix a typo and validation problems in the upgrade script.
Re: Aw: various validation and cosmetic issues [message #162155 is a reply to message #162152] Sat, 27 March 2010 07:32 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Looks good. Please commit it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Maillist with Multipart Content
Next Topic: plugins
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 01:29:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02737 seconds