FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Message Navigator: No logical search function
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #158942] Fri, 17 April 2009 20:14 Go to next message
Peter Vendike is currently offline  Peter Vendike   Denmark
Translator
Just underneath top menu, you find the menu:
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Unanswered Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator

Message Navigator:
I don't get any logic result from that search ???????
(FUD version 2.8.0)

(Date range: "newer than" "older than" does not give plausible results)
Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159153 is a reply to message #158942] Sat, 09 May 2009 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just used the "Message Navigator" on this forum, and it seems to work quite well. Why do you think it's not giving "plausible results"?
Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159156 is a reply to message #159153] Sat, 09 May 2009 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Hej Frank

Thank you for checking it.

I believe this is a typical example of adaption. In all cases (newer then) must be >=(older then).
In my original "feeling" of this, I would search for messages older then "X" (from today) but at the same time newer then "Y" days old. (fields opposite)

Maybe one could just add some explicit explanation.
Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159167 is a reply to message #159156] Sun, 10 May 2009 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Would it help if we swap these messages or do we need to somehow change them?

mnav_newer:                     newer than
mnav_older:                     older than
Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159172 is a reply to message #159167] Sun, 10 May 2009 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly, but how about if you just changed the text in the template to something a bit more plain speaking and conversational - like "Search for posts made between ____________ and ___________ ( _____ ) ago"?

[Updated on: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159258 is a reply to message #159172] Sat, 16 May 2009 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
kerryg wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 21:25
Maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly, but how about if you just changed the text in the template to something a bit more plain speaking and conversational - like "Search for posts made between ____________ and ___________ ( _____ ) ago"?

Yes something like that I was thinking of, because "newer than x day(s)" is logical for programmers, but not usual daily speaking.

The problem in Kerry's formulation is, do you put oldest (largest) day first or last in normal speaking? I don't think there is a standard solution for that, but if we take the bigger number from these two to be "newer than" and the smaller "older than" it would always give the correct period solution, (also taking |-x| always positive numbers if someone should think of putting negative numbers in).

There also is missing some "mouse move over" help text for the message navigator, something like "browse messages from specific period of time"

Last I would like the search to work so that if you put in a period of say 8-8 days, you would get results which are 8 days old, where you now get nothing, you have to put something like 9-8 ore 7-8 for one day search.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:38]

Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159259 is a reply to message #159258] Sat, 16 May 2009 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
We have a pretty common cultural conceit that time flows from left to right, no doubt because it's the way we read (I'd imagine the reverse would be true in cultures that read from right to left).

The formulation of the query does seem "programmer-ish". Ranges like "six months" are natural enough when you're doing a single-ended query like "search back two years". But when it's a constrained range, I usually don't want to figure out what "from eighteen months ago to six months ago" translates to, I usually just want to see "search between [june 2007] and [june 2008]".

(Popup calendars are nice for that too Very Happy)

[Updated on: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:52]

Re: Message Navigator: No logical search function [message #159265 is a reply to message #159259] Sun, 17 May 2009 06:33 Go to previous message
Translator
You're totally right.

So we should compute the dates corresponding to the period in days / months / a.s.o., it would look more professional too.

I found this link with example programming:

http://www.esqsoft.com/javascript_examples/date-to-epoch.htm

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Bugs in V.2.8.1 RC1
Next Topic: Maillist.php patch for pure html mails
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:37:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02743 seconds