FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » NNTP Errors (Warning: mysql_fetch_row)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP Errors [message #159069] Sat, 02 May 2009 09:41 Go to next message
ascertained is currently offline  ascertained   Denmark
I've been going through the topics found by searching for related errors and haven't been able to determine a solution to my problem, hence the post here.

I configured a few test newsgroups to synch with for my FUDforum and they both started syncing once configured in my cron. However I keep getting floated by this error and I can't figure out what's causing it, I did notice people have been getting the same error but still don't know how to solve it.

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/rockmyworld/usenet/include/theme/default/db.inc on line 27
(/home/rockmyworld/usenet/include/theme/default/db.inc:72<br />
/home/rockmyworld/usenet/include/theme/default/db.inc:132<br />
/home/rockmyworld/usenet/include/scripts_common.inc:15<br />
/home/rockmyworld/usenet/include/nntp.inc:416<br />
/home/rockmyworld/usenet/scripts/nntp.php:92<br />
) 2006: MySQL server has gone away<br />
Query: SELECT id FROM fud28_users WHERE email='SGUI(at)gardener(dot)com'<br />
Server Version: <br />

Please note that this error appears with multiply e-mails, so I assume it has nothing to do with the way this particular user formats his messages.

Notice how the error mail send from my domain selects some of the HTML next to the email address as part of the address itself, no clue if that is the cause or just an error in the error mail itself.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5581&private=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Attachment: error.jpg
    (Size: 21.09KB, Downloaded 1184 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 02 May 2009 09:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NNTP Errors [message #159070 is a reply to message #159069] Sat, 02 May 2009 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
The "MySQL server has gone away" error means there is something wrong with your db. This may help: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

The extra <br> tags are added by fud_sql_error_handler() in core.inc after the SQL was executed. You can ignore them.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: NNTP Errors [message #159072 is a reply to message #159070] Sat, 02 May 2009 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no clue what option to follow here, there's a lot of possibilities and all I know is that I'm on a shared hosting plan running Linux with Apache version 2.2.11 (Unix),
PHP version 5.2.9 and MySQL version 5.0.67-community. Everything else works fine, I've got phpBB3, Gallery and Drupal all working just fine with separate databases.

I've seen this error posted a lot and there's no clear answer as to what the cause can be.

I'm not too keen with PHP and SQL and wouldn't have a chance figuring out what to do in this situation.

Went thought the error log and found that I might need to increase the size of max_allowed_packet in mySQL.

I have a feeling this happens when the cron tries to run the synch for all the newsgroups at the same time, it would explain why it closes the connection since my cron only has limited privileges and thereby cannot send such a large query to the server at the same time.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 May 2009 17:31]

Re: NNTP Errors [message #159073 is a reply to message #159069] Sat, 02 May 2009 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, that didn't fix anything. When the connection dies or whatever, it later tries to run the same query over and over again, I've got 4000 copies of the same message now.

Don't like the way this NNTP feature works at all, but I really need it Sad
Re: NNTP Errors [message #159077 is a reply to message #159073] Sat, 02 May 2009 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try to set "Max Messages to Import" to a low value. If that doesn't help, add a sleep() to the code (between loading of posts) to slow the importer down. That should allow your database to keep up.
Re: NNTP Errors [message #159081 is a reply to message #159077] Sat, 02 May 2009 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried setting a smaller of amount of messages to be imported but that didn't help. While going over the nntp.php script I noticed it had a timeout to respect however this was set to 6 minutes and with the cron running each other minute I thought this might force the script to "restart" before it's even done running in the first place.

No idea if this changes anything but thought it was worth a try changing things here.

Could you please explain where to implement the sleep command, the code ain't commented and I can't figure out where to add the command.

Thanks in advance!

[Updated on: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:02]

Re: NNTP Errors [message #159083 is a reply to message #159081] Sat, 02 May 2009 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
I ran into a lot of similar issues with NNTP sync, including the duplication issue. You can find some further info here, hope it helps -

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=118143&start=0&

The NNTP sync is still a work in progress (for example, yEnc and MIME attachments aren't yet dealt with, and can cause problems). But on the positive side we've seen rapid advances within the last couple of months.

This feature is practically unique amongst (free and/or open source) forum softwares; it's definitely a good thing that we're moving towards making it rock solid.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:56]

Re: NNTP Errors [message #159084 is a reply to message #159083] Sun, 03 May 2009 05:50 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are you loading a public newsgroup? If so, please post (or PM) me the group name, newsgroup server and message number so I can do a quickly test import on my forum.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Why is "backslash n" replaced in outgoing mail?
Next Topic: Bugs in V.2.8.1 RC1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 05 09:19:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02957 seconds