FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Setting up newsgroups on Windows
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159179] Sun, 10 May 2009 23:34 Go to next message
ANiko is currently offline  ANiko   United States
I'd like to set up newsgroups with the Newsgroup Manager, but I can't because I have to unlock the files first. Of course, I can't do that on Windows. Since the files are always in an unlocked state anyway, what changes do I need to make to have the code ignore the fact the utility hasn't unlocked the files first?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159181 is a reply to message #159179] Mon, 11 May 2009 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Penny,

You don't have to do anything special. Try it and let us know if you run into problems.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159182 is a reply to message #159181] Mon, 11 May 2009 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANiko is currently offline  ANiko   United States
naudefj wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 21:59

You don't have to do anything special. Try it and let us know if you run into problems.

Thanks for the reply. I already tried it before I posted my question. None of my settings are saved in the Newsgroup Manager. At the top of the page, it says I must unlock the files first. (Unless I overlooked it, the utility to unlock files isn't included in the Windows version, so I can't pretend to "unlock" the files from the admin console.)

I've never programmed in PHP before so I don't know what to look for to comment out or alter so that my settings are saved to retrieve/send newsgroup messages from/to the news server.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159184 is a reply to message #159182] Mon, 11 May 2009 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You should see the newsgroups you have added at the bottom of the page. For details, see documentation at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Newsgroup_Manager
icon6.gif  Re: Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159327 is a reply to message #159184] Sat, 23 May 2009 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WITCH is currently offline  WITCH   United States
Wondering why Windows would keep files unlocked, I thought the files were locked by default.

I am new to this so explain things very, very carefully!
Re: Setting up newsgroups on Windows [message #159344 is a reply to message #159327] Sun, 24 May 2009 08:11 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:
Wondering why Windows would keep files unlocked, I thought the files were locked by default.

PHP's chmod() function doesn't work on Windows. If you find a way to "lock" Windows files in PHP, I will gladly implement it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Template overview?
Next Topic: "Fatal error"...forum move
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 13:58:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03083 seconds