FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159431] Wed, 03 June 2009 08:18 Go to next message
icarus is currently offline  icarus   Germany

Hi!

At the moment I'm trying to set up a sync between FUD and a mailing list. The basics are working but there are many small issues I'm currently working at.

One of them is the following: In the future the forum will be used for a group of people how care very much for their data. So it would be fine to have the option that when syncing from the forum to the mailing list the outgoing mail address would be scrambled in some way - if the user hadn't allowed the displaying of the mail adress.

I can do it myself - when I know the place. Can someone please tell me the right place?

Thanks!

Michael

P.S.: By now I'm writing a quote-converter so that quotes are correctly transferred from mailing list to forum. Additionally I'm writing a fullquote detector and some other filtering stuff. When it's done I will publish the code changes.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 June 2009 08:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159435 is a reply to message #159431] Wed, 03 June 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Vendike is currently offline  Peter Vendike   Denmark
Translator
I don't see how you can join a mailinglist without known email address. Somewhere in the mail envelope the sender address has to be just as the receiver address.

Do you want to send with another sender-name?

[Updated on: Wed, 03 June 2009 10:10]

Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159438 is a reply to message #159431] Wed, 03 June 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:
When it's done I will publish the code changes.

Great, I'm looking forward to it. If possible, please post your changes as patches, for details see, Creating a patch.
Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159464 is a reply to message #159435] Thu, 04 June 2009 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi!
Peter Vendike schrieb am Mi, 03 Juni 2009 12:05
I don't see how you can join a mailinglist without known email address. Somewhere in the mail envelope the sender address has to be just as the receiver address.

Do you want to send with another sender-name?

Yeah. That's it!

There are three possible options:

1. All users who don't want to publish their mail address are set to a single sender like noreply(at)domain(dot)tld (where domain.tld is the domain of the forum) The real name then should be set to the name in the forum.

2. The users are getting non-working sender addresses like username(at)invalid(dot)tld (so that you could see who was writing)

3. The users are getting sender addresses like username+mail(at)domain(dot)tld. Then the users could be reached via mail. (with some extra programming)

I want to do the first solution but need to know the place where a mail is transmitted. (not the place where the mail command is used but the place where the mail address from the user is fetched)

Michael
Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159465 is a reply to message #159438] Thu, 04 June 2009 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi!

naudefj schrieb am Mi, 03 Juni 2009 13:52
Quote:
When it's done I will publish the code changes.

Great, I'm looking forward to it. If possible, please post your changes as patches, for details see, Creating a patch.

By now the changes are in a new file that only needs to be included and called in a single function.

There is no configuration by now and there are some major issues with regexps that I'm currently expecting.

Michael
Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159466 is a reply to message #159464] Thu, 04 June 2009 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Look at the send_email() function in FUDdata/include/mlist_post.inc.
Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159467 is a reply to message #159464] Thu, 04 June 2009 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Vendike is currently offline  Peter Vendike   Denmark
Translator
icarus wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 13:21
Hi!

There are three possible options:

1. All users who don't want to publish their mail address are set to a single sender like noreply(at)domain(dot)tld (where domain.tld is the domain of the forum) The real name then should be set to the name in the forum.

So in that case the proforma user registered in the mailing list could also be the user you filter to send to maillist.php, but then he should not be 'noreply'

I think m2f for phpbb does something similar.

Then we need some extra user settings, I would also need that for the possibility to make FUD doing the maillist thing by it self, without an external maillist manager. These extra settings should be done in the subscription menu.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 June 2009 19:21]

Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159471 is a reply to message #159466] Thu, 04 June 2009 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
icarus is currently offline  icarus   

Hi!

naudefj schrieb am Do, 04 Juni 2009 20:12
Look at the send_email() function in FUDdata/include/mlist_post.inc.

Thats too late. This function in mlist_post.inc is called from somewhere - but I cannot detect from where. That is the place I search. Because there the mail address is fetched from the user setup.

Michael
Re: Obfuscating mailaddress when syncing with mailinglist? [message #159472 is a reply to message #159467] Thu, 04 June 2009 22:12 Go to previous message
icarus is currently offline  icarus   

Hi!
Peter Vendike schrieb am Do, 04 Juni 2009 21:15
Then we need some extra user settings,

No. There is already an option "Show E-mail Address". This is ideal for this task.
Quote:
I would also need that for the possibility to make FUD doing the maillist thing by it self, without an external maillist manager. These extra settings should be done in the subscription menu.

I wouldn't want to make FUD a complete mailinglist manager. Mailman is doing fine.

Michael
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Proposal to rename FUDcode to BBcode
Next Topic: preg_replace question
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:41:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02354 seconds