FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon6.gif  Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159586] Thu, 11 June 2009 23:13 Go to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Frank
I don't think you are being challenged enough so here is something with a little more bite to it.

The image below is of the Piasa bird, which is or was an ancient Indian pictograph painted on the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi river near where I live.

Legend has it that this was a fierce man eater which gorged itself on deer, buffalo and slow moving Indians at will until a great chief sacrificed himself to lure the monster into the range of his warrior's arrows.

The Chief and this fearsome monster died in a hail of the warrior's arrows and plunged into the depths of the Mississippi river never to be seen or heard of again.

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it is to create a really great theme or themes based upon this legend and the colors used in the painting.

The Piasa and its legend are what I used as the theme for my 1st and primary Forum Piasa info, and I am slowly working towards resurrecting it.

Think you can do it, without getting bit?
index.php?t=getfile&id=5631&private=0

There are a lot of greens, reds, browns, and black in the image (basically earth colors), and if you want I have some other images but this is probably the best.

Some time back I was trying to use the image (a larger one) as the actual background of the forum with just a few forums superimposed over it. I know that can be done and I will be trying it again.
  • Attachment: piasaimg.gif
    (Size: 94.08KB, Downloaded 2093 times)

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159587 is a reply to message #159586] Fri, 12 June 2009 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll see what I can mock up over the weekend. However, don't expect too much, I'm a coder, not a designer.
icon6.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159590 is a reply to message #159587] Fri, 12 June 2009 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't ask for more than that can I?

A wise man once told me:
"Open source projects are about sharing, community and doing things
together. Getting people like you involved is the most important
ingredient."

Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159600 is a reply to message #159590] Fri, 12 June 2009 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unzip in your FUDdata/thm directory, activate from the Theme Manager and let me know what you think.
  • Attachment: piasaimg.zip
    (Size: 397.66KB, Downloaded 873 times)
icon7.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159618 is a reply to message #159600] Fri, 12 June 2009 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank

Now that's what I'm talking about! That's an absolutely knock dead gorgeous Theme!

I will get some Indian themed icons to replace the forum icons, some lit and unlit torch icons to replace the lights, add some Indian themed buttons or some of the colored default buttons similar to the "Grape defaults" add the header and content, and we will be in like Flynn!

And you said you were no designer! That's the kind of theme that gets peoples attention, and will make them want their own FUDforum. Chief Ouatoga himelf would proud to have that as his own personal home page!

I had to install it on the Witcher to take a look see but it is well worth it, you do pretty good work. I'm really impressed with how you worked the transparency of it so the image is visible on every page it's so much better than the way I tried it.

I owe you big time!Every kid on the block is going to be jealous.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5638&private=0

Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159625 is a reply to message #159618] Sat, 13 June 2009 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've uploaded a new zip with the following (small) enhancements:

* Font size increased by 1px
* Slightly darker links for better contrast
* Burr borders and set transparency on background image
icon6.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159626 is a reply to message #159625] Sat, 13 June 2009 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks!

I managed to resurrect Piasa, on the 1st try even. still need to upgrade, and tidy up some but she is looking good with her new trogs.

I understand how you used the colors, but what is with "tableHeaderbg" how do you make them or are they something you download from somewhere else? I have seen them elsewhere, and understand that the cat bars/desc bars are constructed from them but I don't see how it would work though it obviously does.

And I see that you used a .PNG image as opposed to a JPG image which I was using, and where I was attempting to place the table rows over the image with enough space between them to see the image or at least most of it you treated it like a wet T-shirt contest and made it see through, which allows a lot more content on the page without obscuring the image.

At any rate I'm going to have to add you to my Christmas list.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5642&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 13 June 2009 12:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159644 is a reply to message #159626] Sun, 14 June 2009 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
tableHeaderbg and tableHeaderbg2 are gradient images. I use gimp, a free image manipulation to create them. You simply select the "gradient/blend tool", pick two colours and drag it over the image. The net result is an image that starts with the first colour and gradually fades into the next. A simple 1 min job. This may help if you want to create your own - http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/gradient.html

icon6.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159645 is a reply to message #159644] Sun, 14 June 2009 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I understand not perfectly But in theory, so it is not really a image but rather a sliver of blended colors and you can do the same thing with background textures and such?

So where have you been hiding for the past few years, usually when I ask questions Ifeel like I am talking in space.

icon6.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159723 is a reply to message #159625] Thu, 18 June 2009 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Are there any known issues with the translucent colors used in this theme?

The day after I loaded it, I installed a color picker program to look at what the color codes were, when I moved the cursor across the contact info at the bottom of the screen I got a blob of kaleidoscope like colors, which did not go away, and for a brief while my cursor was invisible.

I changed themes back to the default and all was good, then that nite I reinstalled the witcher game, and again the cursor disappeared, and I ended up having to do a restore to previous settings.

This morning I switched to the Piasa theme again, and every since I have been having the same difficulties with the cursor disappearing.

I uninstalled the Browser, the theme, color picker, and the game, changed my mouse out, and was good for a while then problem returned, so I switched mouse again. Reinstalled browser Firefox 10.

My next step is to remove the graphics card (which I believe may be the problem) if it returnsm otherwise I will reinstall each 1 at a time.

I just wanted to know if you were aware of any issues? there is no need to jump through hoops, I still have the note book.

It could be that the 3 together were uncompatable.

Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159724 is a reply to message #159723] Thu, 18 June 2009 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:
Are there any known issues with the translucent colors used in this theme?

I'm not aware of any. The most likely cause, as you've mentioned, is your graphics card.
icon6.gif  Re: Special theme request/ Piasa Bird theme [message #159793 is a reply to message #159724] Wed, 24 June 2009 15:35 Go to previous message
The problem seems to have originated with a wireless mouse/mice and low batteries! Its been working fine since I swapped them out.

The color issue I haven't gotten to yet too much, But I think I can fix it by replacing the link with a graphics link instead of text.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Theme based on World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Fan Site Kit
Next Topic: DarkPenguin --- progress 2.6
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:32:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05591 seconds