FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP (I can't send mail with my gmail account (using TLS) from FUDforum, is there a way to do this ? If not, how to configure SMTP for a local server name ?)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159696] Wed, 17 June 2009 00:02 Go to next message
rflores is currently offline  rflores
Hi all,

Thanks for all your effort developping this free software.

I'm testing this forum to possibly using it for interfacing mailing list of an association in which I involve. But I still have problem with mail settings. I'm not at ease with mail server, sysadmin and so on...

If I've well understood, FudForum already contains a built-in email client what would permit to send emails easily. I have "Use SMTP To Send E-mail" switched on ("Yes" answer) for I can authenticate my account on Gmail.

In order to identify my gmail account, I put following settings:
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Server Port: 587
SMTP Server Login: mylogin(at)gmail(dot)com
SMTP Server Login: mypassword
Administrator E-mail: mylogin(at)gmail(dot)com
Notify E-mail: mylogin(at)gmail(dot)com

But, while the forum is expecting to send an e-mail, nothing is received into my gmail account.

For exemple, with a new registered user, when I click on this link [1] for sending a new mail with account confirmation, in my web browser, I get this type of error message :
OC: Invalid SMTP return code: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 28sm340824eye.36

How correct configuration for mail can effectively be sended by gmail ?

Other thing if gmail can't be used, I've installed a POSTFIX mta on my computer, but in this case, what are the kind of settings to set as in previous SMTP settings ?

For information :
FUDforum: 2.8.1
PHP: 5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1
Database: mysql
DB version: 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2

Thanks a lot for your help.

Raph.

[1]
http//localhost/FUDforum2/index.php?t=reset&email=mylogin(at)gmail(dot)com&S=6ae238e1a97e3a6fa5c676c59a339a68
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159702 is a reply to message #159696] Wed, 17 June 2009 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum doesn't support SMTP TLS/SSL connections yet. I will write a patch to add it later today.
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159703 is a reply to message #159702] Wed, 17 June 2009 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Apply this patch - http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11941

When done, rebuild your theme and test again.
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159705 is a reply to message #159696] Wed, 17 June 2009 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi naudefj.

Thanks a lot for your reactivity ! It's a really pleasure to see such voluntarism. Wink

So, I've upgraded the forum following steps described at this page : cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Upgrading

Note, I had to make a symbolic link from my /usr/bin/php5 to /usr/local/bin/php for the archive created not be corrupted at upgrading step. If I modified the create_file_list script (note it is precised to modify upgrade.php script in the linked page, to be corrected Wink, I got a 11M corrupted archive file.

Finally, the upgrade correctly occurs, but next message has been showed at the end of log :
Missing Message entry index_url_redirection inside i18n/french/msg

For complete log, look at uploaded file.

Well, the test mail has been correctly sent with TLS. Thanks a lot for all ! Smile
  • Attachment: log.zip
    (Size: 1.06KB, Downloaded 1082 times)
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159706 is a reply to message #159705] Wed, 17 June 2009 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'm glad the TLS mail patch is working well.

Can you please start separate topics for the rest of your problems (one problem per topic)?
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159721 is a reply to message #159696] Wed, 17 June 2009 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It seems there is still a problem with mailing from FUDforum.

I've tried to create a new member, and at validation of the subscription, I've received a text like the one following :

OC: Invalid SMTP return code: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 23sm56439eya.59 
Or
OC: Invalid SMTP return code: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 24sm240640eyx.23

The same error message appears each time the forum send a mail to a user :
- creation of an account;
- new topic (or message) when synchronisation with mailing list is enabled (FUDforum to send a mail to the mailing list);
- when a new user who does not have validate his account try to get a new confirmation mail (by following this kind of link : http://localhost/FUDforum2/index.php?t=reset&email=mylogin(at)gmail(dot)com&am p;am p;S=e955e76790cbbcc273b67948ba6ed009)
- etc.

Does the TLS/SSL connection has been released for ALL mails sent by FUDforum ?

Indeed the only time the mail function works well is for Mass mailing from User Management in Administration panel.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 June 2009 22:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159737 is a reply to message #159721] Thu, 18 June 2009 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just tested it again, but cannot get it to fail. Are you sure the patch was applied? Did you rebuild the theme after applying it?
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159743 is a reply to message #159696] Fri, 19 June 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I did it.

I'm going to re-install all from the CVS...
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159774 is a reply to message #159696] Mon, 22 June 2009 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, After CVS reinstallation, all is OK. Wink
Re: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP [message #159775 is a reply to message #159774] Mon, 22 June 2009 19:08 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Good to know - thanks for the feedback!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: OOPs
Next Topic: FUDforum Wiki Quick links
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:10:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02750 seconds